OH SNAP! Did the 3DS update improve framerate issues for games???

#31gransPosted 3/29/2013 10:21:29 PM(edited)
I kind of wish I still owned my copy of Rayman 3D, that game had some nasty inconsistent framerate drops and i'd like to have seen whether they were fixed. It wasn't locked at any particular rate either, it has the potential to run at 60fps but just drops it at times. That wouldn't alleviate the sound, gameplay and graphical glitches (nor the removal of the game's dynamic lighting effects), but it would certainly improve things to have the game running more smoothly than it did.

I also tried the Sonic Racing demo once again. I have decided that I can definitely say that the framerate and stuttering have not been improved any from before the update. If what people are saying about the game being improved is true (and given my experience with KH3D, I'm willing to guess it is), the improvement must only affect the full game. The demo is still as nasty as ever, spent a fair bit of time with it to make sure. I guess this update doesn't affect demos, but I can't figure out why that would be...

From footage i've seen of Luigi's Mansion 2, while the developers made drastic improvements to the framerate since it was first shown off, the game still seems to have minor framerate drops here and there. I wonder if those were improved any...

Yeah I have the full game.

I'll keep you guys updated.

Cool, thanks!
---
NEVER judge a game you have not played.
-Granville
#32MrDrippyPosted 3/29/2013 10:23:34 PM
grans posted...
I kind of wish I still owned my copy of Rayman 3D, that game had some nasty inconsistent framerate drops and i'd like to have seen whether they were fixed. It wasn't locked at any particular rate either, it has the potential to run at 60fps but just drops it at times. That wouldn't alleviate the sound, gameplay and graphical glitches (nor the removal of the game's dynamic lighting effects), but it would certainly improve things to have the game running more smoothly than it did.

I also tried the Sonic Racing demo once again. I have decided that I can definitely say that the framerate and stuttering have not been improved any from before the update. If what people are saying about the game being improved is true (and given my experience with KH3D, I'm willing to guess it is), the improvement must only affect the full game. The demo is still as nasty as ever, spent a fair bit of time with it to make sure. I guess this update doesn't affect demos, but I can't figure out why that would be...

From footage i've seen of Luigi's Mansion 2, while the developers made drastic improvements to the framerate since it was first shown off, the game still seems to have minor framerate drops here and there. I wonder if those were improved any...

Yeah I have the full game.

I'll keep you guys updated.

Cool, thanks!

I got the update before I started playing Luigi's Mansion Dark Moon. So far I haven't seen any drops at all. But then again, I've only beaten the first level (3 times to be exact lol)
---
http://i.imgur.com/R8gpXAg.jpg
#33gransPosted 3/29/2013 10:33:48 PM
I don't have Luigi's Mansion 2 yet myself, but i've noticed some minor (very minor) drops in certain cutscenes and outside of the first mansion when you are first materialized there. It's not really major at all, but it would still be interesting to see whether it has been improved.

The drops are nothing compared to the ones in KH3D and Snake Eater 3D regardless. For both of those, the framerate drops are alarmingly bad and instantly noticeable. Teens and single digits. LM2's drops (if the videos are true) are probably maybe 25fps at worst and they don't appear to be frequent at all. Some people might not even be able to tell. The game appears to run at 30fps the majority of the time. The worst drops are probably during multiplayer actually.
---
-Granville
#34Rurouni720(Topic Creator)Posted 3/29/2013 10:37:47 PM
30FPS? I thought Luigi's Mansion 2 was aimed at around 60FPS (from the looks of it)?
#35gransPosted 3/29/2013 10:53:22 PM(edited)
I don't think so. I mean you would not be able to see more than 30fps from videos anyways but I seriously doubt it's running at 60fps. Just from looking at it you'd never be able to see. The only reason we knew Monster Hunter Tri Ultimate on 3DS achieved 60fps early on was because someone on neogaf owned a video camera that could shoot 60fps video and posted the original unaltered files showing how smooth the game runs. And only if you ran those direct videos would you see it, if he had uploaded them to youtube or most other video sites, they would have only shown up as 30fps. When trailers of the game first hit, no one had any clue it was 60fps or any reason to believe so.

The original Luigi's Mansion only ran at 30fps as well. Unless the developers confirmed something about Dark Moon I'm unaware of, i'm guessing Dark Moon runs at 30. It's the character and environment animation that appears so smooth and nice, that's probably what you're seeing (better than the original). But that's the animation department doing their magic.
---
-Granville
#36iphysPosted 3/29/2013 10:48:17 PM
Well, Bit.Trip Saga is still less than smooth, unfortunately.
#37Rurouni720(Topic Creator)Posted 3/29/2013 10:51:46 PM
Ah, i see. My mistake then! :P

iphys posted...

Is that a digital title, or retail?
#38ferofaxPosted 3/29/2013 10:58:49 PM
Rurouni720 posted...
WOAH, now i'm currently at the city area of The Grid world. The framerate is noticeably REDUCED there compared to what i remembered back then! DAMN. O.O

NOT SURE IF SERIOUS

OR TRAP

...lol.
---
pardon if my posts suck, i post by tapping on the handset button on a one-way analog handset. i saw Hannibal Lecter do it.
#39helldewPosted 3/29/2013 11:18:17 PM
Somebody confirm for MGS3 i want to play it soon lol (plan on borrowing it) Im gonna test fire emblem in 3D mode which had slight drops before.
---
ErrorSupply 3-D DS -OMG! It's the ultimate anti-pirate tech O:.
#40iphysPosted 3/29/2013 11:19:17 PM
Rurouni720 posted...

iphys posted...

Is that a digital title, or retail?

Both, and it has the same issues on both.