OH SNAP! Did the 3DS update improve framerate issues for games???

#41bcorneliaPosted 3/30/2013 12:30:04 AM
I really doubt that any games are improved from the update. These shaky impressions have all the earmarks of a placebo effect.
---
This is an elite pirate
#42Tino_Tonitini2Posted 3/30/2013 12:59:02 AM(edited)
grans posted...
I kind of wish I still owned my copy of Rayman 3D, that game had some nasty inconsistent framerate drops and i'd like to have seen whether they were fixed. It wasn't locked at any particular rate either, it has the potential to run at 60fps but just drops it at times. That wouldn't alleviate the sound, gameplay and graphical glitches (nor the removal of the game's dynamic lighting effects), but it would certainly improve things to have the game running more smoothly than it did.

I have Rayman 3D so I could run some tests if you want. Overall, the framerate in that game didn't bother me much but it definitely was inconsistent. I do remember times that were jarring because Rayman and the camera would suddenly move around with unusual (but welcome) fluidity.

If you remember any particular instances in which the framerate dropped noticeably or considerably feel free to chime in, because I can't remember any. I'm not saying there weren't; my memory of the others game just isn't as vivid as that of other games.
#43Rurouni720(Topic Creator)Posted 3/30/2013 12:39:14 AM
bcornelia posted...
I really doubt that any games are improved from the update. These shaky impressions have all the earmarks of a placebo effect.

Other people have reported improvements, and both Grans & I confirmed with both of our copies of KH3D upon careful analysis that the game's framerate has improved by a very noticeable margin post-update. So it's definitely not a placebo affect.
#44QuantumWolfPosted 3/30/2013 12:39:25 AM
OoSubaruoO posted...
There's an update for the 3DS? *slow at news*

Yeah was stunned at the update.

But IMO the real loss of us people who were not catching up with the news is the Miyamoto Mii.
---
Pokemon Black FC: 3740-3024-4512
#45gransPosted 3/30/2013 12:42:26 AM

I can't speak for any other non-demo games that ran badly prior to this, but Kingdom Hearts 3D most definitely runs more consistently and smoother than it did before the update. Very obviously so, and even more apparent when I loaded up a video of the game from a pre-update 3DS and compared it to my copy of the game. I didn't even need to see a video to tell, but the video only made it all the more apparent.

I completely doubted it myself. I absolutely did not believe a word of this "crap" (the word that came to mind in my head when I saw topics like this pop up a couple of days ago). Playing the demos of the games mentioned didn't do anything to convince me much either, Sonic Racing, MGS3D and Mirror of Fate demos were all as bad as ever. By the time I decided to test my full copy of Kingdom Hearts 3D, I was certain this was complete bollocks before starting it up. I was wrong though, previous parts of the game that you couldn't even walk around in without the framerate diving now run as they should. The issues aren't entirely gone, but they are reduced to a very noticeably extent.

If this were some sort of placebo effect, people wouldn't still be noticing issues in other demos and games. They'd be wired and hoodwinked into expecting all the games with framerate issues to somehow look better than they did. Not true though, the demos (or some of them at least) still seem to have the issues. And apparently not all games are affected either.
---
NEVER judge a game you have not played.
-Granville
#46skulper34Posted 3/30/2013 12:43:41 AM
So is sonic racing really better now?
#47bcorneliaPosted 3/30/2013 12:46:10 AM
I don't play Kingdom Hearts so I can't speak for that. I explored the whole gameworld in Mirror of Fate after the update though, and didn't notice any improvements in that game specifically. Haven't checked my MGS3 cartridge yet.
---
This is an elite pirate
#48gransPosted 3/30/2013 12:59:57 AM(edited)
I have Rayman 3D so I could run some tests if you want. Overall, the framerate in that game didn't bother but it definitely was inconsistent. I do remember times that were jarring because Rayman and the camera would suddenly move around with unusual (but welcome) fluidity.

If you remember any particular instances in which the framerate dropped noticeably or considerably feel free to chime in, because I can't remember any. I'm not saying there weren't; my memory of the others game just isn't as vivid as that of other games.

Sure if you like to, go ahead and try it whenever you have a chance.

It has been a long time since I played Rayman 3D now. I traded it in when Ocarina of Time 3D released (what i'd consider a worthy replacement lol!), and that was quite some time ago. I don't remember there being any one place in particular that stuttered that much more than other parts, besides just the general larger vs smaller areas having an effect on the performance. It was pretty inconsistent throughout and jumped around like crazy (could run anywhere from like 20-60fps depending). I do remember the first couple of levels (Woods of Light for instance) near the beginnings being fairly choppy. The shallow water that you can walk through seems to have an adverse effect on the framerate, I recall as you walk through it there are ripples that form and that seemed to harm the game's performance noticeably as the ripples appear. I recall the best performance points were in smaller enclosed spaces, particularly when you set the camera to first person look mode and just position it against a wall. There's not much to render there, so the game would clearly be running at 60fps in some of these parts. You could still move the camera around a bit to see how smoothly the game COULD have run constantly had it been programmed better.

You don't have to try it for long. Just go and run around the first level and see whether things feel any better.

EDIT- just remembered an aspect that really killed the framerate. I believe whenever a text box pops up in the game it really hurt the framerate for some reason. I was watching a walkthrough video to see if I could spot framerate issues and noticed when you step on a stone Murphy help platform, a message box pops up and makes the game stutter like crazy. You can look at this video to see for yourself (and looking at the video, yeah walking through the water in that first level clearly kills the framerate)-
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FE8vaEpXE9I

Go to about the 6:55 time point and you should be able to see how choppy things can get. You can use this video to compare things if you want. I will say however that if this update has anything to do with the second CPU having resources freed up, Rayman 3D may not have any improvements. It was a launch title and the second CPU was supposedly only unlocked for use to developers some time after the 3DS released. So early launch titles probably didn't use the second CPU and may not be affected by this update. Dunno
---
NEVER judge a game you have not played.
-Granville
#49troybrownePosted 3/30/2013 1:51:32 AM
Ok So after reading the messages here, I decided to test out Tales of the abyss since it had frame rate issues whenever enemies spawned on the world map. I can confirm that the update did indeed fix the issue. Enemies spawn without any dips to the game's framerate and walking on the world map seems a little faster too!
#50longlivemegamanPosted 3/30/2013 1:56:47 AM
Rayman 3D runs a LITTLE better. It's still on par with the N64 game.

I also noticed that Sonic Generations is more steady as well now. Even Tropical Resort has no issues. (Unless it already did run a steady 30 FPS, it's been a while since I played that.)
---
Don't hope for a new GOOD Megaman game. In the end it's only going to get cancelled.
R.I.P. MML3, MMU and Rockman Online...