Think I'm going back to a regular 3DS from an XL.

#1GoldfingizPosted 3/29/2013 10:01:53 PM
Bought a regular 3DS at launch but ended up selling it a year later. Ended up picking up a 3DS XL last week but I can't say I'm enjoying it much.

The viewing angle is dreadful. There's always a silhouette around something on the screen when in 3D, be it on one side of the screen or the other. I've adjusted myself and the 3D slider endlessly, but something is always silhouetted. Turning the 3D effect down helps, but there's still almost always a silhouette somewhere. All of my tests were conducted while sitting completely still. Holding the XL with one hand and using the bottom screen with the other renders it completely unplayable in 3D for me, as everything is constantly being thrown off.

3D or not, the screens are terrible altogether, with terrible viewing angles, low vibrance, and atrocious pixel densities. I have to question how and why Nintendo could use such awful screens at a point in time where free/budget phones are tripling their pixel densities.

I ended up picking up regular 3DS today so that I could make a final decision on which to keep. While the screens are laughably small, they look a bit better. The 3D also works much better for me, though I still prefer to play in 2D. It's also black, and not something I'd be completely embarrassed to use in public. Although they both feel like something that should have been released a decade ago, the original 3DS feels a bit better to me as far as hardware goes. The larger screens of the 3DS would have been nice, had they been of better quality.

Bigger isn't better in this case, at least not for me. Has anyone else gone from an XL to a regular 3DS?
#2Nikos_the_greatPosted 3/29/2013 10:04:12 PM
lol, ok
#3Goldfingiz(Topic Creator)Posted 3/29/2013 10:04:40 PM
Nikos_the_great posted...
lol, ok

We have the same name lulz.
#4SefcaBlightPosted 3/29/2013 10:05:09 PM
reassurance topic
---
I walk ten thousand miles, ten thousand miles to see you
http://myanimelist.net/profile/SephkaBlight
#5dankmanaPosted 3/29/2013 10:07:23 PM
I think, given the widely positive reports of the XL version, that most people just don't care about the 3D effect and mostly play with it off. It's not a downside to those people, but if you value it, go with the screen that works for you. I don't own either system, and I could tell from the display unit the 3D effect was worse on the XL, despite what everyone says online.

I'm annoyed with Nintendo; I want to own a 3DS. So damn bad, but the ideal system is really a mix of the two. Many things about the OG I like, as well as the XL. BLERGH.
#6RPGNinja123Posted 3/29/2013 10:12:48 PM
dankmana posted...
I think, given the widely positive reports of the XL version, that most people just don't care about the 3D effect and mostly play with it off. It's not a downside to those people, but if you value it, go with the screen that works for you. I don't own either system, and I could tell from the display unit the 3D effect was worse on the XL, despite what everyone says online.

I'm annoyed with Nintendo; I want to own a 3DS. So damn bad, but the ideal system is really a mix of the two. Many things about the OG I like, as well as the XL. BLERGH.

I went with the XL and I have no regrets. The 3D tends to work better with games that are more 2D in nature like Fire Emblem.
---
Favorite Series = Fire Emblem //// Favorite Game = Dark Souls
3DS Friend Code = 0232-8140-1787 (send a PM if you add me)
#7Kenichi34Posted 3/29/2013 10:15:43 PM
dankmana posted...

First time I hear someone saying the 3D effects are worse on the XL. They're marginally the same, but I see them better on the XL.
---
GT: Kenichi340
"What was the point of that pregnant pause!?" - Edgeworth
#8Goldfingiz(Topic Creator)Posted 3/29/2013 10:23:48 PM
I don't care too much about the 3D. The major deal breaker is the pixel density of the screens. Nobody should have to look at screens this bad in 2013. I might come off as a troll by saying that, but I truly believe it.
#9abbeldydooPosted 3/29/2013 10:26:50 PM
I have owned both and prefer the XL by a wide margin and i always play with 3d maxed.
---
Don't mod me bro!
#10lordlichPosted 3/29/2013 10:56:53 PM(edited)
Kenichi34 posted...
dankmana posted...

First time I hear someone saying the 3D effects are worse on the XL. They're marginally the same, but I see them better on the XL.

They are not worse on the xl,anybody who knows anything about 3d technology knows that the bigger the screen the better the 3d,not to mention the sweetspot on the 3d is greater on the XL. I also have owned both TC needs to get his eyes or his xl checked out.

http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2012-07-23-nintendo-3ds-xl-pixel-size-increase-wont-look-awkward

``A bigger screen size will also increase the depth effect of the system's 3D, allowing for better parallax experience. ``
---
IN THE END,THERE CAN BE ONLY ONE!.