After Pokemon X and Y come out, GameFreak should take a break from Pokemon

#91KurizakaPosted 3/30/2013 4:26:46 PM(edited)
I realize there have been changes, but in the end it's the same thing. Start out in a town...get a starter...Honestly, I'd like to see the whole story changed up. Instead, maybe start out as a different person(a professor even?). And something I've always wanted them to do was to either let you carry more Pokemon or make HM moves separate from regular moves, but that's just for convenience.

Edit: Or even make a game where you're the bad guy. There are many different ways they could go.
#92SMASHKING84Posted 3/30/2013 4:34:32 PM
the idea of playing as a professor would change the story but not the gameplay.
it'd still be the same gameplay just with a different character and possibly and new story.

as far hms they could work like dragon warrior monsters(use them as like key items)
but i think that idea would mess with the idea of closing of some areas of the game(remember linerity makes the game more likely to have a good plot) so the idea would probally be better if
a.they had you able to forget hms at any time
b.you could use hms like you can use key items BUT you still need certin badges to use them and you can still teach them to pokemon(after all garydos would suck without water fall)
c.you use them like key items,you can still teach the move to pokemon,but you still need certain badegs.

let my clear this up i'd like a more open ended game and better plot but it's nearly impossible to do both in the same game.
---
Jirachi is the best pokemon
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ty0G7lOSuaU
#932wingedangelPosted 3/30/2013 4:37:17 PM
SMASHKING84 posted...
2wingedangel posted...
People should take a break from making RPGs after Pokemon X and Y.

3DS has enough as it is. -_-

unless you count back wards compatibility not really.
and if you count b/c gba had WAY more pokemon games then 3ds

3ds(counting b/c)
HG,SS,B,W,B2,W2,D,P,PL,torezi,dash,conquest,typing,ranger trilogy,pmd trilogy and blue recuse team.
gba(counting bc):r,b,y,g,s,c,green,leaf green,pokemon pinball,pokemon pinball r&s,pokemon tcg,pokemon tcg 2,fire red,ruby,saphire,emerald,red rescue team,Pokemon Puzzle Challenge

I don't mean Pokemon games, I mean RPGs. They can go ahead and keep making 3DS Pokemon, as long as it isn't an RPG.
---
Lover of all things cute and pretty. <3
Black 2 FC: 4213-1800-0462
#94SMASHKING84Posted 3/30/2013 4:44:41 PM
2wingedangel posted...
SMASHKING84 posted...
2wingedangel posted...

3ds(counting b/c)
HG,SS,B,W,B2,W2,D,P,PL,torezi,dash,conquest,typing,ranger trilogy,pmd trilogy and blue recuse team.
gba(counting bc):r,b,y,g,s,c,green,leaf green,pokemon pinball,pokemon pinball r&s,pokemon tcg,pokemon tcg 2,fire red,ruby,saphire,emerald,red rescue team,Pokemon Puzzle Challenge

I don't mean Pokemon games, I mean RPGs. They can go ahead and keep making 3DS Pokemon, as long as it isn't an RPG.

pokemon is an rpg series. what's next,whining because mario games are platformers?

i can understand if you hate rpgs but wanting the games to completly change genres shows your only a fan of the series for the characters. that's not really a fan because you could just hack the characters into say a fighting game and achieve the same thing.
---
#95ImGanondorfLolPosted 3/30/2013 4:50:24 PM
As someone who's not even a fan of Pokemon games, no. They should focus on what they're good at.
#96KurizakaPosted 3/30/2013 5:02:43 PM
SMASHKING84 posted...
the idea of playing as a professor would change the story but not the gameplay.
it'd still be the same gameplay just with a different character and possibly and new story.

as far hms they could work like dragon warrior monsters(use them as like key items)
but i think that idea would mess with the idea of closing of some areas of the game(remember linerity makes the game more likely to have a good plot) so the idea would probally be better if
a.they had you able to forget hms at any time
b.you could use hms like you can use key items BUT you still need certin badges to use them and you can still teach them to pokemon(after all garydos would suck without water fall)
c.you use them like key items,you can still teach the move to pokemon,but you still need certain badegs.

let my clear this up i'd like a more open ended game and better plot but it's nearly impossible to do both in the same game.

I never said only the game play needed changing, actually not much on the game play "needs" changing. I think the best change would be in the story.

Exactly my thought process on the HM moves. I'd really like to see them able to use as key items. Of course, I can understand how some HM moves are great for battle, and maybe they could possibly make a similar move for battles if they didn't want the cross use.
#97SingertonPosted 3/30/2013 5:07:26 PM
retrogamer28 posted...
Singerton posted...
It would be great.

Having all the minds behind games like Drill Dozer, Harmoknight, Pulseman, and Earthbound all working on a new IP would be amazing, instead of just having selected individuals or small teams of the entire division.

GF didn't make earth bound, HAL and Ape (now Creatures) did.

I wouldn't mind GF making more non pokemon games, but thats because they have like 3 teams I think, the A team (makes the first games of each generation), the B team (makes remakes and new IPs), and the C team (makes the 3rd version games, but they may or may not help the other two when they don't have a project)*. So have A and C working on Pokemon games all the team, while B makes remakes every other pkmn gen and a new IP on the gen they don't.

*The number of teams and which projects they manage is part speculation and part educated guess, so I would love if some one could let us know whether it's true or not.

No they didn't, but a lot of members of Ape Studios moved and still reside in Gamefreak. I want those guys to work on an original IP, with the weight of the whole team behind it.

As for size of teams, it is not solely educated guessing. Harmoknight was not the active focus of the entire studio, it was an offshoot that was started by a few employees.
#982wingedangelPosted 3/30/2013 5:12:45 PM
SMASHKING84 posted...
2wingedangel posted...
SMASHKING84 posted...
2wingedangel posted...

3ds(counting b/c)

pokemon is an rpg series. what's next,whining because mario games are platformers?

i can understand if you hate rpgs but wanting the games to completly change genres shows your only a fan of the series for the characters. that's not really a fan because you could just hack the characters into say a fighting game and achieve the same thing.

Except like Mario, Pokemon has spin-offs. I'd be fine with a Pokemon Ranger, a sequel to Treozei (didn't play it on DS), or even something new. I don't hate RPGs, but the 3DS has enough of them with Fire Emblem, Denpamen, Etrian Odyssey and Tales of the Abyss, and I've barely scratched the surface.

And before you start arguing that those aren't Pokemon games, that wasn't what I was upset about in the first place. I'm getting tired of fighting with you because of your own poor reading comprehension.
---
Lover of all things cute and pretty. <3
Black 2 FC: 4213-1800-0462
#99SMASHKING84Posted 3/30/2013 5:17:14 PM
I actually had an idea about the battle system.
this is just an idea for those who think turn based is boring without completly rmoving turn based battles all together
it'd be similar to paper mario with 3 tweaks:
1.defense is no longer reaction based(only because i'm not sure how that'd work in multiplayer,)
2.each attack has one of 4 preset action commands psyical attacks go by pressing a at the right time special attacks go by a system similar the vivian's hide techinuque in ttyd
signiture moves have a special imput based that works like the hammer in pm
moves like safe guard and stuff work by touch imput.

the moves will still work if you fail the action commands,action commands just add neat bonuses like extra power or reduced charging time or increased length of move(moves like safe guard will last longer basically) in addition you can use attacks by voice command(optional)

this is just a way to innovate without abandoning the fans because all these ideas are optional and don't have to be used. therefore you don't have to use them if you hate them.
---
#100Uru_ZephPosted 3/30/2013 10:20:33 PM(edited)
Kurizaka posted...
I realize there have been changes, but in the end it's the same thing. Start out in a town...get a starter...Honestly, I'd like to see the whole story changed up. Instead, maybe start out as a different person(a professor even?). And something I've always wanted them to do was to either let you carry more Pokemon or make HM moves separate from regular moves, but that's just for convenience.

Edit: Or even make a game where you're the bad guy. There are many different ways they could go.

I see no problem with the story. In fact, I feel like they're trying to be too elaborate with it anymore. I liked the tabula rasa of the first game, just being a trainer going out and beating the league. It allowed players to really put themselves in the trainer's shoes, to fill in the gaps of everything. It also gave you your own motivation for what you were doing. Did you really want to be the very best? Did you have a grudge against the Rockets, and figure that taking the league challenge was your best bet to come across them? Did you want to become a gym leader, and set out on the journey to prove your skill to get you into the profession you desired? Or were you an aspiring researcher, filling out the Pokedex as Oak's assistant? You could really just make the story your own, and NPC's didn't constantly drag you around, beating you over the head with whatever plot the designers wanted to try to make feel important to you (there was some dragging around, but it was limited to the beginning).

If anything, I'd like to see a return to form with the story. It would be cool if they let the handheld games be tabula rasa, like I mentioned above, and started making better console titles. In their console titles they could focus on the experiences that the handhelds lack, such as a more impressive story (accompanied by more impressive visuals and battles), and accessibility to multiplayer (it'd be nice if they went back to making it possible for two friends to just sit down and battle without needing the other person to have the game too).