3DS Classic VS 3DS XL pros and cons

#1PsychoWolfXPosted 3/30/2013 5:09:17 PM
Let me say first and formost, that I'm not trying to insight any arguements over which system is "better" I actually planning on gettoing a XL sometime soon and would like to get as much info as possible before shelling out $200 that I really can't afford to waste in the first place. I watched quite a few comparison vids on youtube, but I thought it would be a good idea to ask you guys since I am sure there are some important things I am not yet aware of.

Here's how I see things at the moment

3DS

Pros
Not as mang jaggy edges due to screen res
screen seems a little brighter
more portable (i rarely take my 3DS anywhere though and when I do it's in a backpack)
better sound quality

Cons
Lower screen boarders scratch top screen
Some games have very small text (monster hunter for example. which is a HUGE deal for me)
less battery life
I love glossy outside, hate it on the inside

3ds XL

Pros
90% bigger screen (with my poor eyesight, this is a major advantage)
better battery life
sleeker design

Cons
Jaggity edges due to screen res. (Kind of bugs me)
Not as loud volume wise (don't really care. Headphones)
"feels cheaper" not sure what this means, probably wouldn't care
#2Grand_BluePosted 3/30/2013 5:12:20 PM
One thing I don't like about the 3DS is the amount of empty black space on the top half:

https://images-na.ssl-images-amazon.com/images/G/01/videogames/detail-page/vg.hh.01.lg.jpg

They should have made it a little bigger. The left and right of the screen is so much wasted space that could have been used for the screen.
---
The Boondocks on Adult Swim is my favorite anime.
#3PsychoWolfX(Topic Creator)Posted 3/30/2013 7:22:40 PM
No one has anything else to add to this?
I've pretty much made up my mind by this point, but if there is anything else I should know about the XL (chronic system defects for example) I would welcome the info.
#4elkenPosted 3/30/2013 8:49:37 PM
3DS XL is the reason I own one.

My Vita is collection dust since I bough my 3DS XL. The regular is too small (smaller than the PSP), for my taste.
---
Fav Genres: RPG\Adventure\Survival / Fav Consoles: Sony & Nintendo / Fav Handheld: 3DS XL
#5LooksLikeRainPosted 3/30/2013 8:52:41 PM
Get the xl. No question.
---
Is that a W shirt?
#6WrestlinFanPosted 3/30/2013 8:52:51 PM
I'll pass on this 3DS vs 3DSXL topic. It's been done to death.
---
I was in heaven. I was in hell. Believe in neither, but fear them as well.
#7aak57Posted 3/30/2013 8:58:47 PM
Based on your commentary with your pros/cons list, I'd say it's a no-brainer you should go for the XL.
---
May thine...strength...help the world be mended
http://i.imgur.com/HdBP0.jpg
#8sixdeadpixelsPosted 3/30/2013 8:59:30 PM
I have both systems, and as I have mentioned before, there are some pretty significant drawbacks to the 3DS XL.

The speakers are bad; not just worse than the 3DS speakers, but bad. Bad to the point that there is harmonic distortion when reproducing sounds that sound fine on the 3DS speakers.

The dot pitch of the screens on the XL is also quite noticeably atrocious. It isn't just the pixel density, which is far worse than the original 3DS,but you can clearly discern the space between the pixels. Almost all of the reviews say that games look better on the XL, but that simply isn't true. The screens are larger, but the image is far superior on the 3DS.

There are also various costs cutting measures that are apparent on the XL. They used fewer screws, which in turn saves on labor. This affects the build quality of the units. The 3DS is much more solid. They used cheaper plastic, and omitted the illuminated 3D icon (but this is really a trivial omission.)

Having said that, the use of physical space on the XL is more efficient than the 3DS. The buttons have a tactile feel to them when pressed (more of a click like the DSi as opposed to the musher feel of the DS Lite) which I prefer over the 3DS. The battery life is marginally improved on the XL. The XL is slightly less portable, but they really aren't vastly different sizes.

The ultimate factor for me was that the XL is LARGER. It fits in my hands better, and I do not get fatigued playing extended sessions of Mario Kart. I have large hands, and this is what led me to prefer the XL.

It seems almost everyone purports that there is no reason to buy a 3DS over the XL, but I don't think it's that simple. Screen size is really the one thing that sets them apart for most people, but I don't think the screens are better on the XL, they're just bigger.

The games look so much better on the higher density 3DS screen, especially if you compare them side-by-side, but if I can't play them comfortably over the long run, then what's the point? If I had small or average-sized hands, I would prefer the original 3DS in a heartbeat, but having used both extensively, the XL is simply more comfortable for me to play.
I hope this is helpful.
---
Posted using GameFlux
#9darkphoenix181Posted 3/30/2013 9:20:15 PM
I would say it comes down to your eyesight.
I was excited about having a bigger screen till I actually got an XL. It really isn't much difference at all to me because I have good close range eyesight.

In general I like the original 3DS design. It looks fancier and feels more sturdy.

I got an XL mainly because of the free game promo, limited edition pikachu and price cut. Otherwise, I had no need to upgrade really. I am still debating on what to do with my old 3DS. I think I might keep it for certain games to keep my pika 3ds fresh.
---
proud owner of Pikanips
#10MilesTeg420Posted 3/30/2013 9:29:38 PM
One thing no one ever mentions is the OG has actual sharp edges of plastic near the hinges. Feel them sometime, one on each side. They are a lot sharper than I would have thought.

The XL does not have this. Smooth edges all around.