Donkey Kong Country trilogy should have been remade for 3DS instead of DKCR.

#21mjc0961Posted 4/3/2013 3:58:09 PM
A brand new Donkey Kong game should have been made for 3DS instead of any remake or port.
---
sirtonne posted...
This topic is so stupid I had to slap my wife.
#22mahgah91Posted 4/3/2013 4:24:17 PM
Rare developing DKC would not at all get in the way of the game being released on VC or remade. Only Rare-owned properties like Banjo-Kazooie or Conker are an issue.
#23SoaringDivePosted 4/3/2013 4:24:57 PM
I actually didn't really like the original trilogy. Everything was so cramped that it was hard to platform after coming from games like Super Metroid or Super Mario World, or even NES platformers like Super Mario Bros 3. The difficulty in the minecart levels were because of the fact that the characters took up so much room on the screen (DKCR went more cinematic with the mine levels due to the increased resolution). Other games on the SNES were fine, but DKC went overboard with making every character and prop way larger (probably to due with that the sprites were pre-rendered).

But the thing is, if you just took the trilogy and made everything well proportioned so that you could see more, that would cut down all the difficulty of the game anyways (it was designed around the fact you couldn't see much, which was good. Rareware knew what it was doing in term of actual level design). There really isn't very much good that can come from a remake unless they change the levels themselves.

Now, they aren't bad games by any means. Like I said, level design was top notch. But the levels were designed around the small view. In an age where resolution is increasing, where we're used to fitting so much more on screen, there is no good outcome from a remake of the original trilogy. Either we alter the level design so much it is vaguely a remake, or the game becomes too easy, or we just port the games and keep them in 4:3.
---
PM (on GFaqs) me if you add me (I won't bite)
3DS: 2148-8150-1379 | Steam:SoaringDive | PSN:SoarDive
#24Robobro(Topic Creator)Posted 4/3/2013 4:34:25 PM
SoaringDive posted...
I actually didn't really like the original trilogy. Everything was so cramped that it was hard to platform after coming from games like Super Metroid or Super Mario World, or even NES platformers like Super Mario Bros 3. The difficulty in the minecart levels were because of the fact that the characters took up so much room on the screen (DKCR went more cinematic with the mine levels due to the increased resolution). Other games on the SNES were fine, but DKC went overboard with making every character and prop way larger (probably to due with that the sprites were pre-rendered).

But the thing is, if you just took the trilogy and made everything well proportioned so that you could see more, that would cut down all the difficulty of the game anyways (it was designed around the fact you couldn't see much, which was good. Rareware knew what it was doing in term of actual level design). There really isn't very much good that can come from a remake unless they change the levels themselves.

Now, they aren't bad games by any means. Like I said, level design was top notch. But the levels were designed around the small view. In an age where resolution is increasing, where we're used to fitting so much more on screen, there is no good outcome from a remake of the original trilogy. Either we alter the level design so much it is vaguely a remake, or the game becomes too easy, or we just port the games and keep them in 4:3.

But that is why I love the game so much, since the characters are so huge. The characters in Returns are so tiny, and that is a huge turn off for me.
#25FredSavage27Posted 4/3/2013 5:17:15 PM
Because making new character models, animations, backgrounds, re-arranging all the music, and everything else that goes into remaking a 16-bit game to 2013 standards is considerably more work than porting a game from a few years ago.
#26Elements012894Posted 4/3/2013 7:10:59 PM
Returns is much better then the first DKC game.
---
PS+ has paid it's self for me. So from here on out I will refer to any new games as free.
#27AppleJockRidaPosted 4/3/2013 7:19:41 PM
Why has nintendo been slacking so much lately and making ports all over the place instead of new games? I mean first zelda 64 and star fox 64, but why wii ports now? And why gamecube ports on the wii u instead of new games (wind waker)? The company used to make new games all the time and sony was known as the portbox with the psp. So what gives?