Thanks to the free game giveaway, I will never purchase from the eShop again

#1smridPosted 3/31/2013 12:21:03 AM
I had two 3DS's within this week. First DS was a defected unit, so I had it exchange at the retail story. Thing is, that first DS had the free game offer, since I bought Luigi's Mansion as well. I didn't know that the eShop purchase was restricted to the system it was downloaded on. I know...noob move, but this is my first endeavor back in the portable console since GBA. And I'm used to Steam and other practical digital distribution services lol..

I can try calling Nintendo but I have read that people would get shot down and the you would at least need a police report to prove theft. Well my 3DS was not jacked, but I was outright mugged by Nintendo's way of handling digital downloads. I can keep going with on my first experience with this new Nintendo scheme but I just wont be dealing with that anymore. Plus, how can I argue against them with a free game?
#2tw1g_007Posted 3/31/2013 12:31:55 AM
Just sue them. Ask your parents for help with money.
---
MH will have to wait and why do most GameFAQ'ers in the 3DS board have sex with their 3DS?
#3Starwars4JPosted 3/31/2013 12:38:59 AM
Give them a call, they're actually extremely helpful.
---
What I can't get over is how she ripped one testicle off..~Frogstir
I can't read your topics without expecting Bel Air now.~KensaiBlade
#4bratt100Posted 3/31/2013 12:44:26 AM
Starwars4J posted...

This is very true. Nintendo has always helped me when I needed them.
---
"If the victim was a mute, then she shouldn't really be out alone."- OrangeWizard on rape
#5mmarksterPosted 3/31/2013 12:49:43 AM
Did you read the agreement?
---
Nintendo 3DS Friend Code: 1032 - 1243 - 4711 Name/NNID/XBLGT/PSNID: mmarkster
Kingdom Hearts with Nintendo Universe = win!
#6ZBug_Posted 3/31/2013 1:00:43 AM
bratt100 posted...
Starwars4J posted...

This is very true. Nintendo has always helped me when I needed them.

Will they help me with my College homework? :o
---
"I've never in my life wanted to punch a girl like I want to right now" Light Yagami
3DS FC 3995-6522-2067 (PM me so I can add you back)
#7TheosepiphanesPosted 3/31/2013 1:31:11 AM
The issue is that he already EXCHANGED the unit at the store. In this specific case it is difficult for the user to prove they actually returned the unit. If they had contacted Nintendo when the unit was defective then it is very likely they could be reimbursed the price of the free game (full price so they could buy another one) or issued another download code for the same game. There are two Kotaku articles about something happening to two Wii U buyers who had basically the same issue except with the transferring of their entire Wii library (around 5 hundred dollars worth). In the case where the user returns to the store Nintendo reimbursed around $200, and in the case where the user handled the issue with Nintendo they reimbursed the full amount, plus $50 for the trouble (all in points obvoisly).

MORAL: If anything goes wrong contact Nintendo before going to the store to do an exchange yourself. Although it's annoying to have to wait for a new system to be delivered it could result in a kickback of some free points if you pick your words wisely, which is worth the wait for a couple days in my opinion.
#890sRetroGamingPosted 3/31/2013 2:09:28 AM
Theosepiphanes posted...
The issue is that he already EXCHANGED the unit at the store. In this specific case it is difficult for the user to prove they actually returned the unit. If they had contacted Nintendo when the unit was defective then it is very likely they could be reimbursed the price of the free game (full price so they could buy another one) or issued another download code for the same game. There are two Kotaku articles about something happening to two Wii U buyers who had basically the same issue except with the transferring of their entire Wii library (around 5 hundred dollars worth). In the case where the user returns to the store Nintendo reimbursed around $200, and in the case where the user handled the issue with Nintendo they reimbursed the full amount, plus $50 for the trouble (all in points obvoisly).

MORAL: If anything goes wrong contact Nintendo before going to the store to do an exchange yourself. Although it's annoying to have to wait for a new system to be delivered it could result in a kickback of some free points if you pick your words wisely, which is worth the wait for a couple days in my opinion.

Even better, get with the times and provide actual user accounts to every customer who downloads purchases from the eShop.

After reading that i see that Nintendo ended up losing $200 plus "the full amount" plus another $50 on top of that full amount and i'm sure a nice little headache to go along with it.

Just as much as it's the buyer's "fault" it's Nintendo's fault as well. Sony, Microsoft, Apple and Steam don't seem to be using this weird outdated method. Nintendo may have to protect themselves but what about the customer?.

We should be able to purchase things digitally and have peace of mind knowing we'll always have access to our content we paid for AT ALL TIMES!. decades down the road. not everyone in the world are thieves and will abuse their purchases.
---
"OldSchoolGaming4Life" on YT & CAG/"90sRetroGaming" on mariokartwii.com
#9warlord3Posted 3/31/2013 2:20:47 AM
This entire thing is completely ridiculous! TC, you're not going to use the eshop again because you have a problem, but haven't talked to Nintendo about it because of a "belief" that they won't help you?

Call Nintendo and get this thing resolved, or don't, but Nintendo isn't going to help you if they don't know that there is even a problem.

Even if you didn't notify Nintendo in the beginning like you should, you still have proof that you have completed the terms of the promotion in order to qualify for the free game. This is a Club Nintendo promotion, which means if you explain the situation to the Nintendo rep calmly, and rationally and give them your Club Nintendo account info all should go smoothly.
---
Think of Clevos as being what Mac owners think they have. - Exiled_Overseer
#10mabber_IIIPosted 3/31/2013 2:28:56 AM
it's your fault for exchanging it with the store

you are supposed to contact nintendo directly for those issues