NSMB 2 or Luigi's Mansion 2?

#1nakasa5Posted 4/1/2013 7:19:01 PM
I have some eShop money and I am considering buying either NSMB 2 or Luigi's Mansion 2. I've read reviews and watched videos for both and I can't make up my mind.

Luigi's Mansion 2 looks like the better game, but I never played the first one and I'm not sure if I'll like it. Since this is a digital download, it's not like I'll be able to trade it back in for something else if I end up not liking it. I'm afraid it could end up like a Lego game where I get tired of the monotony of going to room after room. I don't want to be wooed by the reviews and great looking graphics.

While NSMB2 had mediocre reviews, I know I will end up liking it because I enjoy every Mario platformer. It's lack of originality probably won't bother me that much. The thing is I already have 3D Land, and I'd like to diversify my collection a bit.

Basically it's a dilemma between the safe choice or the risky one that I could end up loving or hating. I appreciate anyone's opinions on the matter. Thanks in advance!
#2DirtBasedSoapPosted 4/1/2013 7:21:46 PM
LM2
---
Posting from iPhone 6S.
#3pbandjamesPosted 4/1/2013 7:26:58 PM
April Fool's!
---
Game news is the best news.
#4Gavin_RozeePosted 4/1/2013 7:29:11 PM(edited)
I would buy LM2 as its all the rage at the moment, and different to 3D Land.

I would then pick up NSMB2 later, when 3D Land isnt still in your head so much.

Also, NSMB2 is my favourite NSMB game by far, I like it way more than NSMBU.
---
Wii U Nintendo Network ID: "Gavintendo".
3DS Friend Code: 0920-0069-6685.
#5strongo9Posted 4/1/2013 7:30:13 PM
Luigi's Mansion 2.
---
Want Luigi's Mansion: Dark Moon, Rayman Legends, and Bioshock Infinite.
i7-2670qm @ 2.2ghz | 6GB DDR3 | 1GB Geforce 540m
#6MottmanPosted 4/1/2013 7:35:05 PM
Honestly TC, it seems to me as though you're trying to talk yourself into buying NSMB2. Just on pure merit alone, I'd typically recommend LM2 first; but you seem like you're looking for reasons to pick the game you know won't be as highly regarded.

With that in mind, I'm not sure how to advise you.
---
"If a beautiful woman with a big chest is in trouble, save them even if it means your life."
- Shing Meteoryte, Tales of Hearts
#7whitaker6490Posted 4/1/2013 7:38:26 PM
NSMB2 had nowhere near mediocre reviews. It just had slightly lower review scores than your standard Super Mario platformer, which always get near-unanimous, near-perfect review scores. NSMB2 is a fantastic game, it just plays it very safe. The platforming is flawless, it's just at some points you feel like you've played the game before. It's still one of my favorite games ever, but Mario platformers are my favorite type of game.

Luigi's Mansion: Dark Moon is also a fantastic game. The gameplay and atmosphere are spot on. The only complaint I have about the game is it's mission structure. Not so much that it isn't one large area to explore like the original, but that you may miss something that you wouldn't have had E. Gadd not taken you out of the level against your will. Kinda kills the flow. Still a fantastic game.

Really, the question is: Do you want a 2D platformer or a 3D adventure?
---
"I will give you a show like you have never, ever seen before. Why? Because I can." -- Shawn Michaels
#8Shyguy9Posted 4/1/2013 7:51:13 PM
I only own two games for my 3DS: Super Mario 3D Land and Luigi's Mansion 2.
---
White2:
2881-7417-0444
#9Jack_the_monke7Posted 4/1/2013 7:53:22 PM
I have both and I like both and I have to sya go for Luigi. by a large margin. its original, creative, charming, and unique. if you really don't like the story, the online is still there and its great. I loved NSMB2 but I beat it in about a week and haven't played it once since then.
---
King Boo for Super Smash Bros.
Spread the word, show your support
#10nakasa5(Topic Creator)Posted 4/1/2013 8:22:54 PM
Thanks for the opinions. I'm still undecided, but the input is appreciated.