Dragon Quest 6 the black sheep of the DS trilogy?

#1DarthFrozanousPosted 4/2/2013 11:26:28 AM
I own DQ 4, 5 and 9 loved all three of them but I keep hearing from a friend of mine that DQ6 has zero story and is skippable, anyone have any input?
---
Intel i5 3570k @ 3.4ghz | GTX 550 Ti | OCZ Agility 256GB SSD / 12GB RAM | 2 TB Seagate Barracuda | 750GB Hitachi | Asus P8B75-V
GameFAQS all day everyday
#2GhetsisPosted 4/2/2013 11:32:04 AM
Nah, it doesn't really have any less story than IV does. It also has the best translation of all the DS games, for what it's worth.

VI in general is one of my least-favorite games in the series, but that doesn't make it any less awesome. Also, I prefer VI DS over IV DS.

It does have a pretty cool class system, but VII basically took that and made it a lot better. Still, it's a pretty cool touch. VI also has the concept of parallel worlds, and it's pretty huge.

It's a good game, and I believe it's also one of the cheaper DS Dragon Quests, so I see no reason to skip it. It didn't have a painful translation, or party chat removed in the English version, like IV did, so that alone puts it above IV in my book.
---
For those players who don't speak Australian, we have provided an English translation of the previous scene. Do you want to replay the scene?
#3obishawnPosted 4/2/2013 11:35:19 AM
When it comes to the story of a Dragon Quest game, they are usually told in small increments that fit together like a puzzle that you don't truly appreciate until you see the finished picture. Which doesn't mean you won't enjoy the game until the end and every detail is known, it just the overall knowledge makes you see how good the story really was, especially when the smaller elements don't seem to convey that.
---
Winter is coming
#4BigReedPosted 4/2/2013 11:40:01 AM
I thought 4 was the black sheep.
---
If you like my reviews, recommend them. If you have some suggestions feel free to PM me.
#5GlamGlorpsPosted 4/2/2013 11:43:11 AM
1-8 are the black sheep of the series.

The only good Dragon Quest games are 9 and Rocket Slime.
#6MottmanPosted 4/2/2013 11:45:55 AM
GlamGlorps posted...

Boo for dissing DQV, yay for praising Rocket Slime.
---
"If a beautiful woman with a big chest is in trouble, save them even if it means your life."
- Shing Meteoryte, Tales of Hearts
#7GhetsisPosted 4/2/2013 11:46:36 AM
Dragon Warrior VII is the greatest game of all time.

OF ALL TIME.
---
For those players who don't speak Australian, we have provided an English translation of the previous scene. Do you want to replay the scene?
#8obishawnPosted 4/2/2013 11:48:40 AM
I loved 4, thought 5 was mediocre. But I like them all.
---
Winter is coming
#9DarthFrozanous(Topic Creator)Posted 4/2/2013 12:45:43 PM
Yeah I looooveed DQ9 I really hope they localize DQ7
---
Intel i5 3570k @ 3.4ghz | GTX 550 Ti | OCZ Agility 256GB SSD / 12GB RAM | 2 TB Seagate Barracuda | 750GB Hitachi | Asus P8B75-V
GameFAQS all day everyday
#10FefnirOmega13Posted 4/2/2013 1:31:45 PM
GlamGlorps posted...

9 is best for it's crazy amount of content and for having the most polished battle system- I also liked the costume changes (Maid outfit team <3); but most definitely not in terms of story. at least 4, 5 and 8 utterly annihilate 9 in terms of story.
---
Bullet Hell fan, Cave and Touhou lover. <3 Patchouli Knowledge.
Playing: DeathSmiles, Fire Emblem 8, Rune Factory 3, Digimon World Dawn, Tales of Vesperia