So, we're after two years the 3DS has been out. Let's do a 3DS Game Survey!

#1ZeroArcheryPosted 4/2/2013 12:55:13 PM
So the 3DS has been out for a while, and the library is lining up with great games with more to come in the coming years. Whether you love or hate the 3DS, you should have an opinion on the titles that are out now. So I thought it'd be fun to see what everyone had to say on the following survey. =D

Be honest! And try to explain why you answered what you did. It'd be fun to have discussion on whether you agree or disagree with another user.

What is your favorite Nintendo 3DS game so far?
What is your least favorite Nintendo 3DS game?
Which 3DS game do you feel uses 3D best?
What title do you feel is really underrated?
What tiles do you feel was grossly overhyped?
Most disappointing?
What titles did you feel was better than you expected?

You can put "None" if nothing fulfills the question to your liking. You can also add more questions if you want to . =)

I'm excited to see what people say!

As for my answers:

Favorite 3DS Game: Fire Emblem: Awakening. The story, characters, atmosphere, and gameplay all flowed together perfectly. Gorgeous 3D Cutscenes with a colorful cast and a wide ranging difficulty made the game a ton of fun. My only gripe is that while the old games rewarded you for keeping your units alive, this one had it taken out with the addition of Casual Mode. Otherwise, the game is flawless. You can canon any ships, wonderfully done support conversations, and the maps were always nice to the eye (and in 3D they look amazing).

Least Favorite 3DS Game: Ghost Recon: Shadow Wars. This game was a boring Strategy game, and felt weak. It had boring forgetable characters, with a weak plot. It also had a problem where it "melted your screen" where you saw the pixels in a wave go off your screen until it was a black screen and you had to hard shut off your system. I got it twice.

Game that best used 3D: I was going to say Super Mario 3D Land, but I felt Kid Icarus: Uprising took this award for me. It's not often a fast paced action game can accurately depict a 3D aspect and even help with your accuracy. I could "see" how far away my target was. You could feel the towering walls and castles. The on rails sections were stunning visually and you didn't feel dizzy after one or two chapters with it. I felt it did it beautifully.

Underrated Title: Crimson Shroud. You don't see anyone talking about it. And I felt it did amazing in telling a story and having a battle system that you actually had to learn and think about to take full advantage of. I kept trying different tactics, and way they handle MP was really cool. HAving your spells connected to your equipment while having a separate for learned spells was nice, and having new things every play through was great in replay with New Game +. While it does take a bit to understand the plot, once you get it, you can't stop playing. I wish more people knew about the game, but it's often out shone by Unchained Blades (I think it's called) and the other eShop games like Crashmo and such.

Overhyped: I'm having trouble thinking of one. All the games I can think of deserve the hype they got. Maybe New Super Mario Bros. 2. While it's a great handheld game, I found myself bored with it quickly. But it's probably because of the Wii or Wii U ones far outshining it for me. My mom loved it, but never played the Wii one.

Most disappointing: Probably Mario Tennis. I wanted more. I loved even the Gamecube one that didn't have an RPG aspect with it. But it felt weak, and the online wasn't as addicting as I hoped.

Title that was better than I expected: Theatrhythm Final Fantasy. I can't really explain how, but I didn't expect to be as engrossed as I was. And spending for DLC to boot. Great game, wish I could find it. Scared it was stolen...

What about all of you?
---
Official President of the NST
'But Neku, I thought you couldn't afford to lose? Give up on yourself, and you give up on the world.' - Joshua
#2bsp77Posted 4/2/2013 1:14:15 PM
What is your favorite Nintendo 3DS game so far? - Fire Emblem

What is your least favorite Nintendo 3DS game? - Heroes of Ruin (almost broken)

Which 3DS game do you feel uses 3D best? - Super Mario 3D Land

What title do you feel is really underrated? - Kid Icarus (yes, it is popular here, but deserved more attention from the general population)

What tiles do you feel was grossly overhyped? - Kingdom Hearts

Most disappointing? - Heroes of Ruin (I had been excited to play it)

What titles did you feel was better than you expected? - Fire Emblem & Kid Icarus (I expected both to be very good, but I feel these are the best handheld games ever made)
#3MarsfordPosted 4/2/2013 1:20:08 PM(edited)
What is your favorite Nintendo 3DS game so far? - Kid Icarus Uprising

What is your least favorite Nintendo 3DS game? - Heroes of Ruin

What title do you feel is really underrated? - Pokemon Rumble Blast (it has EVERY Pokemon in every form. What other Pokemon game does that?)

What tiles do you feel was grossly overhyped? - None really.

Most disappointing? - Heroes of Ruin (enjoyed my 25 hours or so, but expected more than that).

What titles did you feel was better than you expected? - Kingdom Hearts DDD
---
Why are you NOT listening to White Skies when you could be listening to White Skies?!
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8MDhdP94TKc
#4GlamGlorpsPosted 4/2/2013 1:29:40 PM
Theatrhythm: Final Fantasy.
The one game I find myself coming back to over and over again, even if its just for 10-20 minutes. Kid Icarus: Uprising is probably the best game though.

Steel Diver.
Suffers the same problem as DKC:Returns on Wii. Touch/motion controls are too inaccurate for the level of precision demanded for 100% completion.

Mighty Switch Force.
Sprite graphics look beautiful layered in 3D.

Shinobi.
Classic 16-bit style platforming gameplay. Very challenging, but never feels impossible.

Tie: Tales of the Abyss and Ocarina of Time 3D.
The two most suggested games on the GameFAQs 3DS board are also the two most mediocre games. The system has so much more to offer, especially at this point, that every time a new "Just got 3DS, what should I get?" topic gets made and everyone answers ToA and OoT, it makes me sad.

Most disappointing?
Tie: New Super Mario Bros. 2 and Paper Mario Sticker Star
NSMB2 for being the most lazy game I have ever played.
Sticker Star for having the most mind-boggling terrible game design choices I've ever seen.

- Resident Evil Revelations: A perfect blend of old and new RE gameplay.
- Luigi's Mansion: Dark Moon: Very impressive sequel from a third party Canadian company.
- Tom Clancy's Ghost Recon: Shadow Wars: A very fun, well-balanced SRPG that I would have otherwise ignored due to the title.
#5trenkenPosted 4/2/2013 1:44:39 PM(edited)
I honestly cant even come up with a list. So disappointed in the lineup. And the original games Nintendo has released for it are just generic clones of previous games.

3D Land is just a generic 3D Mario game, it has no ideas of its own. Of course another NSMB game. Garbage Paper Mario. Garbage Mario Tennis. Kid Icarus with the most horrid controls I have ever experienced in a videogame. Literally. The safest Mario Kart sequel ever. On and on. Not 1 game that comes off as something extremely original that took them 2-3 years to make. If they worked on MK7 for more than a year I would be shocked.

---
WiiU | CygnusZero ///// 3DS | 1504-5688-7256
PS3 | CygnusZero
#6AnclationPosted 4/2/2013 1:42:57 PM
What is your favorite Nintendo 3DS game so far? My favorite original 3DS game is Kid Icarus Uprising, which is pretty much everything I could ask from a game: Very fun, with lots of content, tons of unlockables, excellent online multiplayer, great graphics and music, very strong voice acting and good, funny writing.

Counting ports and remakes though, Ocarina of Time 3D is my absolute favorite 3DS game game. Ocarina of Time was already one of my favorite games of all time, and the 3DS remake is the best version available, with lovely 3D visuals, an improved interface and surprisingly well implemented motion controls.

What is your least favorite Nintendo 3DS game? I don't really have any least favorite 3DS games, I've been pretty picky with my purchases so far, and I find even my comparatively weaker 3DS games to be either high 7s or low 8s, going by the 1-10 rating scale.

Which 3DS game do you feel uses 3D best? Probably Paper Mario: Sticker Star. It really shows off the 2D-3D contrast, and generally looks awesome in 3D.

What title do you feel is really underrated? Several, starting with the aforementioned Sticker Star, which I really found to be an excellent game judged on its own terms. Mario Tennis Open is another really fun game that gets a lot of hate. Star Fox 64 3D is still one of my favorite 3DS games, IMO a must buy for anyone who has never played Star Fox 64 before, and well worth checking out even for those who have. And finally, I really enjoyed Castlevania: Lords of Shadow - Mirror of Fate, and found it a high quality game in most regards.

What tiles do you feel was grossly overhyped? Grossly overhyped is too strong a term, but I did feel Super Mario 3D Land was quite a step backwards after the Mario Galaxy games. Very polished and fun, sure, better than most 2D Mario platformers, sure, but utterly outclassed by Mario Galaxy 1 & 2 in terms of, well, everything. I guess its short levels might be well suited for mobile gaming, but then again, Luigi's Mansion 2 and Kid Icarus: Uprising both have missions that last way longer than most Mario Galaxy levels and they are some of the most beloved 3DS games out there.

Most disappointing? Super Mario 3D Land, and also Mario Kart 7, which I remember being hyped as the best Mario Kart yet at the time. Personally, I was more impressed by both Mario Kart DS and Mario Kart Wii. Neither game was hugely disappointing, just not quite as good as I expected.

What titles did you feel were better than you expected? Definitely Kid Icarus: Uprising, I hoped it would be good, but I never expected to be as impressed with it as I was. Resident Evil: Revelations was also a pleasant surprise, console quality gaming on the go indeed..
#7WickedSickJoshPosted 4/2/2013 1:43:24 PM
What is your favorite Nintendo 3DS game so far? - Legend of Zelda: Ocarina of Time 3D

What is your least favorite Nintendo 3DS game? - Kid Icarus

What title do you feel is really underrated? - Shinobi and Thearhythm: Final Fantasy

What tiles do you feel was grossly overhyped? - Kid Icarus

Most disappointing? - Kid Icarus

What titles did you feel was better than you expected? - Fire Emblem: Awakening
---
Currently Playing: Fire Emblem: Awakening (3DS), WWE '13 (360), Simpsons: Tapped Out (iOS)
"You can't sedate all the things you hate"
#8DinglesteedPosted 4/2/2013 1:53:11 PM
1. Zero Escape (Would say MH3U but I have mainly been playing it on Wii U)
2. NSMB2. I dislike the whole coin aspect of it. If it wasn't impossible to get a game over I may like it better lol.
3. Zelda; OoT and RE:R both look amazing.
4. Ace Combat or Ghost Recon: Shadow Wars. Both are great games imo.
5. Code of Princess. When it was just coming out these forums were praising the game a lot. I bought it and it is fun, but nowhere near the amount of initial hype it had.
6. I will say NSMB2. I love Mario but this coin collecting and having infinite lives basically ruined it for me.
7. Luigi's Mansion, Fire Emblem: Awakening and Ghost Recon: Shadow Wars. I never played LM or FE before this. I knew there was a ton of hype for them but I was still skeptical. Shouldn't have been, they are great! Shadow Wars I just thought it was going to be launch shovelware but I was in love with it lol. Still play it every now and then :D
---
Playing: NSMBU, CoD: BO2, Zombi U, Trine 2 Planetside 2 (Soltech VS), EVE Online, Battlefield 3, and NHL 13
#9flipzasPosted 4/2/2013 1:55:20 PM
Favorite game so far: Luigi's Mansion Dark Moon

Least favorite:
NSMB2

Best use of 3D:
3D Land

Underrated:
Metal Gear Solid 3D Snake Eater
Brain Age Concentration Training
Bust-A-Move Universe

Overhyped:
Harmoknight? tbh I didn't like the demo. Runner2 is much better imo

Disappointing:
Paper Mario Sticker Star

Better than I hoped:
Luigi's Mansion Dark Moon (knew little about it, only saw a few pics and old E3 footage)
#10darkus_fPosted 4/2/2013 2:05:21 PM(edited)
-Resident Evil Revelations

-Resident Evil Mercs. Ew.

-Super Mario 3D Land

-Kingdom Hearts 3D

-Castlevania LOS MOF

Most disappointing?
-Castlevania LOS MOF. Pure overrated crap.

-Resident Evil Revelations. It's going down as one of my favourite games of all time.
---
3DS FC: 0447-5073-6549 PS3 PSN: darkus_f
PWB Fave Five: Punk, Dolph, Cesaro, Reigns, Orton