Is Persona (especially 3 & 4) more popular than the mainline SMT?

#51Shadowstar108Posted 4/3/2013 7:07:35 AM
TronBonne09 posted...
This is all my opinion, butÖI donít like the whole Persona vs ďactual SMTĒ fans. I really dislike the superiority complex some people have because they like mainline SMT.

I first played P3 and P4 and loved them both, then bought some other SMT games. I beat Digital Devil Saga 1 & 2, as well as Devil Summoner 2. I played Nocturne but never beat it.

While I enjoyed all the stories, the unforgiving gameplay wasnít my thing. I donít like hard games, so overall I didnít find much enjoyment with those other games. I donít see anything wrong with liking only Persona. There shouldn't be anything wrong with liking only Persona, only mainline SMT, enjoying both, or whatever. I don't get all the weird arguments I see between the fanbases.

I agree, but there is a reason for these arguments. While some SMT fans can be elitist, some Persona fans can be worse. They only reason I was introduced to Persona was because two of my ex's friends loved the games, and they almost ruined them for me before I touched them. The two of them were yaoi fangirls who were in love with Shinjiro and Akihiko... It's the fans like that the SMT fans can't stand. Although, I also believe they're somewhat wrong for judging all Persona fans to that standard.
---
"Think we should tell them about the hexes, or sell it as is?"
#52DarkastralPosted 4/3/2013 7:27:23 AM
Shadowstar108 posted...
TronBonne09 posted...
This is all my opinion, butÖI donít like the whole Persona vs ďactual SMTĒ fans. I really dislike the superiority complex some people have because they like mainline SMT.

I first played P3 and P4 and loved them both, then bought some other SMT games. I beat Digital Devil Saga 1 & 2, as well as Devil Summoner 2. I played Nocturne but never beat it.

While I enjoyed all the stories, the unforgiving gameplay wasnít my thing. I donít like hard games, so overall I didnít find much enjoyment with those other games. I donít see anything wrong with liking only Persona. There shouldn't be anything wrong with liking only Persona, only mainline SMT, enjoying both, or whatever. I don't get all the weird arguments I see between the fanbases.

I agree, but there is a reason for these arguments. While some SMT fans can be elitist, some Persona fans can be worse. They only reason I was introduced to Persona was because two of my ex's friends loved the games, and they almost ruined them for me before I touched them. The two of them were yaoi fangirls who were in love with Shinjiro and Akihiko... It's the fans like that the SMT fans can't stand. Although, I also believe they're somewhat wrong for judging all Persona fans to that standard.

I have to agree with this 100% I know about 10 or so different people who know what SMT is, and the vast majority of them are crazy otakus who think that Persona 4 is the pinnacle of Japanese art. I stopped hanging out with them when we would play games and they would start going into pseudo-intellectual circle jerks about how deep P4 was. They were truly some of the most obnoxious people I've ever met, and to this day I can't bring myself to play P4 (even after playing and loving 3)

I'm aware that all Persona fans aren't on that level, but it's bad enough to tarnish the series' reputation. I think the main complaint most fans of the main line SMT series have is that the popularity of the Persona series will cause a drop in funding/quality for the rest of the series.
---
Not changing this signature until a new Breath of Fire game is announced
Started 2/8/12
#53OoSubaruoOPosted 4/3/2013 7:34:22 AM
Both fanbases need to quit being terrible, period.
#54evilvergilPosted 4/3/2013 8:55:41 AM
I agree with Tronbonne, this whole P3/4 vs SMT is pretty idiotic. Why cant we all just accept that some people will only prefer P3/4 over the mainline series and some will prefer the Mainline games over the spinoffs and move on? While i do agree that the Persona fanboys can be annoying for various reasons, the SMT fans are just as bad for their snobby elitism. My first Megaten game was P3 and 4,and they sparked my interest for the whole series, so i ended up playing and loving Nocturne(never finished it), Strange journey, DeSu:O, and the Raidou games.

Though in defense of the Persona fans, the SMT fans need to understand that not everyone is into the dark storylines, psycological themes, and religious aspects that SMT offers. Its not for everybody, which is why they have Persona as an alternative. Also lol at the guy citing Persona's "dumbed" down difficulty as a reason for being an inferior rpg to SMT. Yea Because a game not being stupidly difficult automatically makes it an inferior game right?
---
Now playing:P4A,FE:A, Tales of Xillia 2, SfxT
#55CrisisOfFatePosted 4/3/2013 9:13:17 AM
MetalLoki posted...
Scutchington posted...
Only 3 and 4, most Persona fans don't give a damn about 1 and 2 because no dating elements.

I like the games and all but the fanbase needs to shut the hell up about getting Persona elements into other SMT games. Especially social links.

http://24.media.tumblr.com/a788b8c7b1bd421d5bf712789826de2a/tumblr_mk1e1fOBGx1qj0ouyo1_1280.jpg

*Saves picture*
I'm totally loving that thing,but not nearly as much as the all these tears from the people who can't take a joke (although some of this stuff is rather accurate).
---
The official Azrael of the Shin Megami Tensei IV board.
#56MetalLokiPosted 4/3/2013 9:17:46 AM
CrisisOfFate posted...
MetalLoki posted...
Scutchington posted...
Only 3 and 4, most Persona fans don't give a damn about 1 and 2 because no dating elements.

I like the games and all but the fanbase needs to shut the hell up about getting Persona elements into other SMT games. Especially social links.

http://24.media.tumblr.com/a788b8c7b1bd421d5bf712789826de2a/tumblr_mk1e1fOBGx1qj0ouyo1_1280.jpg

*Saves picture*
I'm totally loving that thing,but not nearly as much as the all these tears from the people who can't take a joke (although some of this stuff is rather accurate).

I have no clue why people took it seriously, again John Cena should have automatically made it obvious it was a joke.
---
The official Loki of the Shin Megami Tensei IV board
The beautiful female investigator Ai is the Space Guardian Academys top agent.