Is it possible to acquire the license to republish old video games?

#1Snoopdawwg22Posted 4/2/2013 4:01:20 PM
Say, for example, I wanted to be personally responsible for putting the Game Boy version of Pac-Man on the eShop (or Apple App Store). Would there be a way for me, an average Joe with no inside connection to the video game world, be able to acquire the means to do so with nothing other than an open checkbook?

Just using Pac-Man as an example, of course.
---
Yes, I really am the sage Luigi In His Mansion.
"Snoopdawwg22 is my hero." - Bigdoug14, 02/04/04
#2pikachupwnagePosted 4/2/2013 4:02:34 PM
Money.

Lots of money.
---
Walharts. Low prices. Everyday. On Everything.
Official maribelle of the Fire emblem awakening board!
#3DeathSoul2000Posted 4/2/2013 4:12:34 PM
you could just make a rip off. sure you may end up with a lawsuit, but its one way.
#4AkaneJonesPosted 4/2/2013 10:50:50 PM
Well first of all your example is bad, Pac-man is owned by Namco Bandai. They still use the license to the IP quite allot. It's quite clear that you couldn't acquire that license. However in theory what you suggest could be done, but you need to learn a few things.

First up is who owns the license to the games in question. For say Little Nemo it wouldn't work to well, you have to deal with both Capcom and the western company that owns the rights over the comic strips in the first place. Where as say Ninja Boy would only require Culture Brain. However even that has an issue since the company isn't defunct, they just no longer publish in the west. That means obtaining the license would likely cost more.

However in that case you might be able to obtain English publishing rights to re-release the games side stepping the issue of obtaining the sole rights to the game. In that case you might get them for English distribution. I know some people did this for Star Odyssey on Genisis not to long ago sadly no one has considered DD on that. But it shows proof in concept.

Then after all that you have to learn about how companies go about releasing those game on VC services. I know nothing about the approval process, but you can't just get the game on there immediately. Look at Wayforward and all red tape on Shantae, it's still not out. But hey it's not impossible.
#5Frost_LASERPosted 4/2/2013 10:56:11 PM
Play the stock market until you have near total control of he company to do whatever you want with it, good luck.
#6blh88Posted 4/2/2013 11:29:33 PM(edited)
*coughr4cardcough*

You know what. Forget that. Use an R4 card. I'm tired of there being this hush-hush "don't talk about them" attitude towards flashcards. Yes, some people choose to use them for pirating, but it's completely legal to use them and make your own games. Creating a ROM of said game and playing it is completely legal (assuming you own a physical copy). Do it up and enjoy your game since Nintendo won't do it!
---
so delicious and moist
#7ObtuseAnginaPosted 4/2/2013 11:31:25 PM
Yeah the only way to do this would require a fat checkbook or wallet
---
./|,-``\(o)_\,----,,,_http://i.imgur.com/3f4yT.jpg But if you're gonna cheat,
( `\(o),,_/` : o : : :o `-,...you might as well be a fairy while you're at it.
#8Genericgamer667Posted 4/2/2013 11:32:57 PM
x23sephiroth23x posted...

and a good lawyer for the trial
---
3DS FC: 4940-5445-8767
It is a remake, not my fault you people think ports are remakes (but only on Nintendo systems)-Demondog666 on Kid Icarus Uprising
#9ObtuseAnginaPosted 4/3/2013 1:31:39 AM
Genericgamer667 posted...
x23sephiroth23x posted...

and a good lawyer for the trial

There wouldn't be any trial if someone legally bought the rights of a game and then decided to release it
---
./|,-``\(o)_\,----,,,_http://i.imgur.com/3f4yT.jpg But if you're gonna cheat,
( `\(o),,_/` : o : : :o `-,...you might as well be a fairy while you're at it.
#10Kaze_MemaryuPosted 4/3/2013 6:00:42 AM
Snoopdawwg22 posted...
Say, for example, I wanted to be personally responsible for putting the Game Boy version of Pac-Man on the eShop (or Apple App Store). Would there be a way for me, an average Joe with no inside connection to the video game world, be able to acquire the means to do so with nothing other than an open checkbook?

Just using Pac-Man as an example, of course.

Well, you could. But Video Game licenses are either:

- cheap because the game/series was unsuccessful (can't think of any right now)
- expensive because there's interest from other ends (Darksiders license is VERY expensive!)
- hard to get because the ownership of game content is unclear/subject to lawsuits (Battletoads, Plok, Ninja Baseball Batman)

So, in short, you'll need to crawl through miles of legal actions and invest a small fortune if there's even the slightest hint of interest in a license that has expired or is open for transfer. And the hardest part would be to keep track of all the ownerships and partners behind an IP that will most likely be involved.
Just get a lawyer who knows his stuff if you can afford it and work through that. Otherwise, it would take you more time than you might have on your hand.
---
"Evil beware - we have waffles..." - Raven, Teen Titans
I TRANSLATE!!! http://www.gamefaqs.com/boards/959197-tales-of-graces/64405766