Mario kart 7 online glitch?

#1Holy_OblivionPosted 4/2/2013 6:23:21 PM
For the past couple days I've seen people fall off stages and then instantly reappear in the same spot. Is this an error with the online mode itself or an exploit people purposely do somehow?

Using the general 3ds board since it's more populated than the game board.
---
Visit my youtube page for game news, vids, anime, and plenty of other stuff:
http://www.youtube.com/user/BaoZakeruga?show_guided_help=1
#2chocolatethund4Posted 4/2/2013 6:26:57 PM
It's just lag, or im pretty sure people refer to it as rubberbanding. One instant your in first and you see all these players in front of you and the next moment they are all in back of you.
---
PSN: chocolatethundr5 XBL: chocolatethund5
FC: 1332 - 8303 - 7699 Steam: chocolatethundr5
#3yabPosted 4/2/2013 6:29:10 PM
That's lag, rubberbanding is something the computer does to magically speed up when you're way ahead of them.
---
#4GenoPosted 4/2/2013 6:51:10 PM
The game kinda tends to do this thing where it compensates for opponents that lag. So you'll often see people fly off cliffs and into obstacles and then just reappear without warning, or pretend nothing happened. This is how the game handles people that can't afford decent internet.
---
3DS: 2363 - 5923 - 1853
#5chocolatethund4Posted 4/2/2013 6:56:02 PM
yab posted...
That's lag, rubberbanding is something the computer does to magically speed up when you're way ahead of them.

Oh ok thanks for the clear up, I had a feeling rubber banding meant something else. Curse those CPUs... they made me work long and hard to earn that 3 star profile..
---
PSN: chocolatethundr5 XBL: chocolatethund5
FC: 1332 - 8303 - 7699 Steam: chocolatethundr5
#6CmaBoyPosted 4/2/2013 10:49:53 PM
Lots of games do this while playing online. When one player's connection hangs for a moment, everyone else's games will try to "predict" what the player is doing, which often just amounts to continuing to do whatever they were doing before (for example, continuing to drive straight off in one direction until they go off a ledge). When the connection picks up again, the player's system tells the others where the player actually is, so the player's apparent position is corrected back onto the track.

This happens sometimes in Kid Icarus: Uprising when playing against people with bad connections, and it's very annoying. Someone will start to lag and their character will either freeze motionless (and invincible) or walk off aimlessly outside the stage's boundaries (also invincible). While you stand there dumbfounded and trying to piece together where they really went, they're preparing to snipe you since you haven't moved much or erratically on their screen.

Still fun and all, but lag makes online games a ***** sometimes.
---
Brasparo: 4167-4596-2791
Cannon Leader of the Kid Icarus Uprising League (PM for a match)