Japanese Sales March 25 - March 31

#41VyersPosted 4/4/2013 4:02:05 PM
MetalLoki posted...
monkeypahng posted...
You know Vyers opinion really doesn't mean much when the Wii U is improving sales wise. Not to mentions his ideas of how to achieve success are short sighted and only viable in an ideal world where you can ignore costs and sell games for $20 dollars and delay console releases and deadlines and guarantee a vast library at launch day.

The thing is when the sales do go up he's not going to want people to remind him that he was wrong >_> or he's going to pretend he was one of the people saying they will go up.

Except that I've admitted to being wrong about the 3DS multiple times.

But I don't blame you for forgetting. Fanboysia is a terrible, debilitating condition.
---
http://www.youtube.com/user/ThankTheBear Subscribe for LPs of Pokemon Snap, The Legend of Zelda, Dragon Warrior, Super Mario Bros. 3, Bionicle, and more~!
#42monkeypahngPosted 4/4/2013 4:09:00 PM
Vyers posted...
MetalLoki posted...
monkeypahng posted...
You know Vyers opinion really doesn't mean much when the Wii U is improving sales wise. Not to mentions his ideas of how to achieve success are short sighted and only viable in an ideal world where you can ignore costs and sell games for $20 dollars and delay console releases and deadlines and guarantee a vast library at launch day.

The thing is when the sales do go up he's not going to want people to remind him that he was wrong >_> or he's going to pretend he was one of the people saying they will go up.

But I don't blame you for forgetting. Fanboysia is a terrible, debilitating condition.

I don't think you are in any position to talk.
---
The console with the greater spec generally loses.
FC: 1719-3458-5336 Follow me on twitter @Jamyfang
#43VyersPosted 4/4/2013 4:10:19 PM
AceMos posted...
Vyers posted...
The PS3 is not a Wii U. Until that is the case, I'd prefer if we analyze the Wii U itself instead of thinly veiled attempts at hiding the Wii U's gigantic, massive problems.

The Wii U is built around a gimmick. That is a very, very bad thing to build your console around.And before you say that the DS and Wii were too, they weren't (at least the DS wasn't, anyway). Their game libraries fleshed out much more quickly than the Wii U's did. The Wii U launched with the Wii Sports equivalent, a Mario sequel, and ZombiU. However, nothing has been made that screams "How could you possibly play this game without the game pad!?".

sales are going up

more good games are coming

so the wii u will do just fine

also nintendo land uses the gmae pad in ways you could not do with out it

I sure love playing those games that will take a very long time to release.

And 3DS. Put it on the 3DS. There. Game Pad is irrelevant.

monkeypahng posted...

So even though that the Wii U sales are still well below PS3 and 360's in the UK, it's not worth discussing? Even though sales in the US are still very low, it's not worth discussing? Even though it only gained 10,000 extra sales due to Dragon Quest X, it's not worth discussing? Even though every time this happens with the VITA, where a big game launches and gives it a modest boost, people on this forum don't hesitate to state that it doesn't matter?

And of course they're short-sighted. Sometimes short-term is important. Not being prepared is not a good thing. Nintendo took a gamble, they lost, and they got lucky that they were able to save their public image. For all of the sales the 3DS has in Japan, it hasn't rubbed off on the US nearly as well. It's indisputable that the 3DS bounced back, in part, for key major releases, such as Monster Hunter and Animal Crossing (should even go on to outsell its DS predecessor). The US still hasn't had THAT game yet. A lot of people will criticize Heavenly Sword and other similar games at the PS3 launch for being astonishingly short considering the price; however, Steel Diver being a $40 game is okay? Nintendogs + Cats is not an ambitious game at all - it certainly doesn't add many new elements, being a game that really could have been done on the DS with no trouble at all - and yet, it's a full-price release?

Additionally, you needn't launch everything on the same day. You can delay Devil Survivor Overclocked if you want, or whatever games were released in that period between the launch and OoT3D. By delaying the 3DS, you get a much better launch, and you have more stuff to avoid droughts with. The 3DS could have easily sold at $250 if it had the games to back it up. They could have made a profit. The 3DS sold so poorly in that first period that it didn't make up for the money they lost by an $80 price drop. Iwata talks about how important it is to avoid droughts, and yet does nothing to avoid them.
---
http://www.youtube.com/user/ThankTheBear Subscribe for LPs of Pokemon Snap, The Legend of Zelda, Dragon Warrior, Super Mario Bros. 3, Bionicle, and more~!
#44monkeypahngPosted 4/4/2013 4:37:42 PM
Vyers posted...

So even though that the Wii U sales are still well below PS3 and 360's in the UK, it's not worth discussing? Even though sales in the US are still very low, it's not worth discussing? Even though it only gained 10,000 extra sales due to Dragon Quest X, it's not worth discussing? Even though every time this happens with the VITA, where a big game launches and gives it a modest boost, people on this forum don't hesitate to state that it doesn't matter?

And of course they're short-sighted. Sometimes short-term is important. Not being prepared is not a good thing. Nintendo took a gamble, they lost, and they got lucky that they were able to save their public image. For all of the sales the 3DS has in Japan, it hasn't rubbed off on the US nearly as well. It's indisputable that the 3DS bounced back, in part, for key major releases, such as Monster Hunter and Animal Crossing (should even go on to outsell its DS predecessor). The US still hasn't had THAT game yet. A lot of people will criticize Heavenly Sword and other similar games at the PS3 launch for being astonishingly short considering the price; however, Steel Diver being a $40 game is okay? Nintendogs + Cats is not an ambitious game at all - it certainly doesn't add many new elements, being a game that really could have been done on the DS with no trouble at all - and yet, it's a full-price release?

Additionally, you needn't launch everything on the same day. You can delay Devil Survivor Overclocked if you want, or whatever games were released in that period between the launch and OoT3D. By delaying the 3DS, you get a much better launch, and you have more stuff to avoid droughts with. The 3DS could have easily sold at $250 if it had the games to back it up. They could have made a profit. The 3DS sold so poorly in that first period that it didn't make up for the money they lost by an $80 price drop. Iwata talks about how important it is to avoid droughts, and yet does nothing to avoid them.

What do you expect? Home consoles generally have a slow start. Granted the Wii U is very slow. The Vita is different, the reason why people say "it doesn't matter" when it comes to Vita sales increasing is because none of the games that pushed the sales are console sellers and it shows, most of them didn't stay in the JPN charts for more than a week or two or keep the sales up there (and NO Persona 4 G is not a big launch game), which it shows when you look at the overall sales of the Vita.

Right now it's a wait and see period for the Wii U as there are quite a few games in the future that they've announced to be released/developed. Whilst games like Monster Hunter do push sales for more than a week and sell quite well.

Regarding the price of the games, that's your opinion that Nintendogs/cats is not worth $40 you could argue quite a lot games should be not be worth $40 or even $60 for any console. It doesn't work like that. What I meant by short sighted is that it ignores a lot of factors which it assumes you ahve complete autonomy to make decisions over everything.

For one, DS:O isn't a Nintendo IP, they don't have that control to decide when to delay other companies release dates. Whilst you seem to have this belief that there aren't deadlines for these things and that you don't have to answer to anyone and can announce a delay whenever.
Heck, you can argue that every console they should delay their console release to have a full library on release day because it will help the console sell more. It's not going to happen because it's not as simple as that.
---
The console with the greater spec generally loses.
FC: 1719-3458-5336 Follow me on twitter @Jamyfang
#45VyersPosted 4/4/2013 10:25:59 PM
Sacrificing quality for speediness has NEVER proven to be beneficial. The Xbox 360 is currently third place worldwide, despite having a whole year advantage over its competitors. The 3DS did not have one single killer app at launch. It was one of the worst launches I've seen. Ignoring deadlines may make stockholders grumble, but at the same time, not ignoring deadlines is hurting all the work that went into making their stock so valuable.

The PS2 had a slow start because it was undershipped (and didn't need to be). Wii was undershipped. Xbox 360, if I recall correctly, was undershipped. The Wii U is in supply regularly whenever I go into Wal Mart. Waiting and seeing is fine, but you can't decry people for making observations. You can cite success stories, but I can cite failures. Saturn was a MONUMENTAL failure, one which took place after a great success. It failed due to intense hubris, a high price point, and lack of content. I see that in spades here.

I could argue that a lot of games are overpriced, and have. Nintendogs + Cats is a paltry upgrade from NIntendogs. Steel Diver is a DS game. I'm not only looking at making money, but creating better perception of the games. If Pilotwings Resort was essentially free, people would have enjoyed it a lot more. Can you imagine if Wii Sports launched at about $30? It would be viewed as far too simple, and everyone would think that it should be bundled. It would sell, but it wouldn't be as big a game as it is today. What does Nintendogs do that requires $40? Or Steel Diver? Heck, I even forgot the number one thing to do: drop 3D. It's just another in the long line of Nintendo gimmicks that they try to overuse as their selling point, instead of actual, quality merchandise.

And, I could certainly argue that every console could delay their library, but you're creating false equivolence here. I'm arguing Wii U and 3DS came out too early because they don't have games. Launches generally aren't amazing, but they all still have their fair share of titles. N64 had one of the best games ever made, SNES and NES as well. GameCube had Star Wars, Super Monkey Ball, and Pikmin/SSBM were only a month later. Even Wii had Twilight Princess, Excite Truck, and WarioWare. They needn't be delayed because they had a big title or two to hold people over. SSFIV was a port, Pilotwings and Steel Diver lasted only so long, and NIntendogs + Cats felt like an expansion to the original (with a worse walking mode). The only game I would say was actually great at launch was Tom Clancy's Ghost Recon: Shadow Wars. It's still one of my favourite launch games, for any console.
---
#46MetalLokiPosted 4/4/2013 10:43:02 PM
Vyers posted...
MetalLoki posted...
monkeypahng posted...

I didn't even know you said the same thing about the 3DS. I wasn't even here when the 3DS was selling low so how was I suppose to know that you don't learn?
---
The official Loki of the Shin Megami Tensei IV board
The beautiful female investigator Ai is the Space Guardian Academys top agent.
#47legendarylemurPosted 4/4/2013 11:15:45 PM
PokeMaster posted...
PSV stablising?

Far from it. We'll have to wait for the weeks to come when there aren't any Vita releases (which there will be for a few weeks iirc).

I thought the minimum would be par 20k, but I think I'm wrong. I think the stable price will be around 21~24k.
---
According to Wikipedia, you don't exist!
CLICK HERE FOR FAME AND GLORY
#48VyersPosted 4/4/2013 11:23:30 PM
MetalLoki posted...
Vyers posted...
MetalLoki posted...
monkeypahng posted...

I didn't even know you said the same thing about the 3DS. I wasn't even here when the 3DS was selling low so how was I suppose to know that you don't learn?

For the same reason you don't assume a lot of things.
---
#49legendarylemurPosted 4/4/2013 11:25:17 PM
Boy I remember when Vyers said the 3DS was gonna fail. You were rather insufferable, but you at least had good tastes in games. Same cannot be said for 99% of the haters...
---
According to Wikipedia, you don't exist!
CLICK HERE FOR FAME AND GLORY
#50MetalLokiPosted 4/5/2013 10:40:49 AM
Vyers posted...
MetalLoki posted...
Vyers posted...
MetalLoki posted...
monkeypahng posted...

For the same reason you don't assume a lot of things.

Ok fine, I will 100% remember that you don't learn >_> happy
---
The official Loki of the Shin Megami Tensei IV board
The beautiful female investigator Ai is the Space Guardian Academys top agent.