Largest SD card a 3DS will read?

#11PuddingchanPosted 4/3/2013 9:09:45 AM
KaspaUFgator posted...
Puddingchan posted...
KaspaUFgator posted...
Puddingchan posted...
I suggest getting a 32GB microSD card and it usually comes with an adapter. Reason because if one day you don't need to use the 3DS anymore, you can still use the card for most mobile phones.

Will those read in the 3DS? I thought that would be the best way to go too bust just want to make sure.... Also, do you suggest getting one from New Egg?

I don't know since I never ordered stuff from New Egg.

I'm personally using a Kingston microSD 32GB card without any problems at all. I bought it with the intention that if I ever don't need it for 3DS anymore, I can still reuse it for a new mobile phone. Just to note that most mobile phones nowadays only support up to 32GB microSD. 64 and more are useless in this sense.

If you don't mind me asking where did you get your Kingston microSD at?

Also, Big Reed.... are the ones that go on sale constantly at BB ( usually deals of the day) are they the ones with an adapter?

I didn't buy it online, I went to one of the local places (not US though) here that is well-known for selling electronic items at reasonable prices...it costed approximately 21USD for a class 4 card, which I think matches what NewEgg sells it for.
#12TheSPPPosted 4/3/2013 9:29:49 AM
MicroSD cards with an adapter work just fine. SDXC 128GB cards also work, but you have to format them to Fat32 before you can use them. Details on how here:

http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=1773735
---
Hello :D
GT:xxThe Biesxx
#13esoteric42Posted 4/3/2013 11:30:56 AM
Largest officially supported SD card is 32GB.

You *can* go larger if you format the card to FAT32.

This is not recommended as it can cause read and write errors.

Best advice I can give you is to buy the cheapest 32GB SDHC you can find, as class speed doesn't seem to change much as far as loading times (class 10 being the fastest, but class 4 offers a speed that is more than acceptable).
---
US 3DS Friend Code: 4511-0481-8141 (Bryan)
#14TerraPhantomPosted 4/3/2013 12:11:50 PM
Just FWIW, I didn't have great luck with my microSDHC (SanDisk "Ultra" 16GB -- Class 10). My 3DS would only recognize it for a few seconds before getting an SD Error, even though the card works perfectly in every other device I have. I don't know if it's something with the card, or if maybe the the 3DS doesn't like the adapter (I couldn't find my other adapters to test).

I swapped it for a Lexar Platinum II 32GB SDHC (Class 10, not micro) and it works perfectly.
#15KurizakaPosted 4/3/2013 12:47:26 PM
You can find a class 10 32gb sdhc for a good price on Amazon.
#16TheSPPPosted 4/3/2013 1:49:18 PM(edited)
TerraPhantom posted...
Just FWIW, I didn't have great luck with my microSDHC (SanDisk "Ultra" 16GB -- Class 10). My 3DS would only recognize it for a few seconds before getting an SD Error, even though the card works perfectly in every other device I have. I don't know if it's something with the card, or if maybe the the 3DS doesn't like the adapter (I couldn't find my other adapters to test).

I swapped it for a Lexar Platinum II 32GB SDHC (Class 10, not micro) and it works perfectly.

I've used MicroSD's with adapters for the 3DS and DSi before and haven't had problems, so I don't think it's because the 3DS doesn't work well with MicroSD.
---
Hello :D
GT:xxThe Biesxx
#17guedesbrawlPosted 4/3/2013 1:04:12 PM
damn, mine didn't handle 4gb, for some reason...
---
Confession Time!
jRPGs are pretty much the best thing that ever happened to Video Games - Soanevalcke6
#18KaspaUFgator(Topic Creator)Posted 4/3/2013 1:30:02 PM
TheSPP posted...
TerraPhantom posted...

I've used MicroSD's with adapters for the 3DS and DSi before and haven't had problems, so I don't think it's because the 3DS doesn't work will with MicroSD.

So are we saying don't get one with an adapter? I prefer one with an adapter....
---
Gators, Yankees, Jets, and Knicks!!
#19KaspaUFgator(Topic Creator)Posted 4/3/2013 1:30:29 PM
[This message was deleted at the request of the original poster]
#20TerraPhantomPosted 4/3/2013 1:48:30 PM
TheSPP posted...
TerraPhantom posted...

I've used MicroSD's with adapters for the 3DS and DSi before and haven't had problems, so I don't think it's because the 3DS doesn't work will with MicroSD.

Maybe it has something to do with it being a UHS-I card. Whatever the issue might be, all I know is that my 3DS is the only device I had that wouldn't pick it up consistently