3DS Vs 3DS XL

#1Retroxgamer0Posted 4/3/2013 9:51:39 AM
http://i.imgur.com/eztyUY1.jpg

3DS
+Glossy, and sexy like a new sports car
+Portability
+Large amount of accessories supporting it, such as battery improvement grips, cases, and the like
+Smaller price point than the 3DS XL

-Fingerprint magnet!
-the DPAD feels cheap and squishy like the DS Lite
-The battery life is pretty bad, unless you add some kind of accessory to improve it's life such as the nyko power grip (which i strongly recommend)
-Screen glare is an issue

3DS XL
+90% bigger screens means that 3DS games look absolutely stunning, especially with 3D on
+Extremely anti reflective. the screens have glare reduction not in the old model, the matte plastic is anti reflective
+The DPAD is clicky, which is preferable to most people, and much better in fighting games
+The base battery life has improved by an hour, putting it just ahead of the PS Vita

-Virtual console games look bad and stretched out. you cannot eliminate letterboxing (also known by most as "those black bars on the side")
-it is unarguably less appealing asthetically, with only red, blue, and a niche pikachu edition of the console, with much less fashionable accessories or addons supporting it. if 3DS is a hot girlfriend, 3DS XL is it's ugly best friend
-the speakers and build quality are noticably cheaper looking
-It is less portable, it will barely fit in your pocket without a case. with a case forget it, you'll need a backpack or shoulder bag

looks like a tie :)
#2BigReedPosted 4/3/2013 9:53:56 AM
Oh boy.
---
If you like my reviews, recommend them. If you have some suggestions feel free to PM me.
#3OoSubaruoOPosted 4/3/2013 9:55:56 AM
Retroxgamer0 posted...
http://i.imgur.com/eztyUY1.jpg

3DS
+Glossy, and sexy like a new sports car
+Portability
+Large amount of accessories supporting it, such as battery improvement grips, cases, and the like
+Smaller price point than the 3DS XL

-Fingerprint magnet!
-the DPAD feels cheap and squishy like the DS Lite
-The battery life is pretty bad, unless you add some kind of accessory to improve it's life such as the nyko power grip (which i strongly recommend)
-Screen glare is an issue

3DS XL
+90% bigger screens means that 3DS games look absolutely stunning, especially with 3D on
+Extremely anti reflective. the screens have glare reduction not in the old model, the matte plastic is anti reflective
+The DPAD is clicky, which is preferable to most people, and much better in fighting games
+The base battery life has improved by an hour, putting it just ahead of the PS Vita

-Virtual console games look bad and stretched out. you cannot eliminate letterboxing (also known by most as "those black bars on the side")
-it is unarguably less appealing asthetically, with only red, blue, and a niche pikachu edition of the console, with much less fashionable accessories or addons supporting it. if 3DS is a hot girlfriend, 3DS XL is it's ugly best friend
-the speakers and build quality are noticably cheaper looking
-It is less portable, it will barely fit in your pocket without a case. with a case forget it, you'll need a backpack or shoulder bag

looks like a tie :)

That's why it fits in my jean pockets easily right? What kind of pants do you guys wear?
#4Retroxgamer0(Topic Creator)Posted 4/3/2013 9:59:55 AM(edited)
i almost forgot the most major issues oops:

3DS
-the 3DS regular model has a major design flaw that makes its buttons press up against the top screen usually resulting in a light screen smudge, and in severe cases even minor scratches. this is covered by warranty however. all 3DS smudge their own screens, but the scratching seems to be to those not taking care of their units, slamming them closed, instead of closing them like a normal person.

3DS XL
-Many have noticed that the back of the unit's plastic case can actually be pulled off the unit to a large degree, which leads some to believe it is flimsy design. the actual reasoning for this is that they only use two screws for the back casing so you can very quickly and easily access the battery, since regular 3DS has the battery as more accessible, but if you are OCD enough to want complete stability and you are digging your fingernail into the side and pulling at the case, it actually feels as if you could pull the back casing and actually break it in half without removing a single screw. this isnt an issue unless you whine too much.
#5Retroxgamer0(Topic Creator)Posted 4/3/2013 10:01:37 AM
the back of the 3DS XL's casing can only be lifted off the actual unit from the left side, but not the right, so it might've actually been a bit overlooked.
#6Retroxgamer0(Topic Creator)Posted 4/3/2013 10:02:38 AM(edited)
but nothings perfect i guess.. =p niether are as bad as the DS Lite and its cracked hinges.
#7Retroxgamer0(Topic Creator)Posted 4/3/2013 10:05:53 AM(edited)
That's why it fits in my jean pockets easily right? What kind of pants do you guys wear?

short pockets are always smaller than jean pockets. you cant put it in a case and fit it in anything unless you are wearing cargo pants which tend to have oversized pockets. my cargo pants can fit my vita and 3ds xl fine.
#8TaCtiiCz_xPosted 4/3/2013 10:05:49 AM
I used to own an Aqua Blue 3DS. I loved it. Then it got stolen (inserted /sadface). Anyway, I'm wanting to buy a new one. Like TC I love the sexy 3DS look, especially that black color on top and blue/purple etc color below. Really nice.

However, to me at least, the 3DS XL just looks, I don't know. Not as nice as its predecessor. Bigger screens would be nice though..

FML.
---
~ When a man learns to love, he must bear the risk of hatred. '
PSN: PlagueSpreadR
#9Retroxgamer0(Topic Creator)Posted 4/3/2013 10:09:41 AM(edited)
TaCtiiCz_x posted...
I used to own an Aqua Blue 3DS. I loved it. Then it got stolen (inserted /sadface). Anyway, I'm wanting to buy a new one. Like TC I love the sexy 3DS look, especially that black color on top and blue/purple etc color below. Really nice.

However, to me at least, the 3DS XL just looks, I don't know. Not as nice as its predecessor. Bigger screens would be nice though..

FML.

i wear glasses so i prefer the bigger 3DS screen as it helps with smaller text, but id say the biggest deal breaker of the XL model would be if you plan to play a lot of virtual console games. the biggest negative to the XL to me personally is how bad those games look. even DS games look questionable on the XL. it really is made for 3DS games first and foremost.

if your vc library is bigger than your 3DS library id say never get an XL it would be a terrible mistake you'd regret. if you're like me and you dont care about vc on this thing, then i have a large preference for the XL. you can still spiffy it up with decals and the main addon i use for it is the circle pad pro xl, which is great.
#10TaCtiiCz_xPosted 4/3/2013 10:11:16 AM
I see, yeah my VC library is kinda huge. Midnight purple it is then.. I just think it's sad they went the other way with the XL's design. Liked the first look.
---
~ When a man learns to love, he must bear the risk of hatred. '
PSN: PlagueSpreadR