Do you consider Pokemon main series a JRPG?

#61SMASHKING84Posted 4/4/2013 5:57:53 PM
x23sephiroth23x posted...
So if I say "Shigeru Miyamoto is a Japanese person", that would be racist?

no but saying only a japanese person can make games like he does is racist.
and yes there are differences between rayman and mario.
mario is stciking to the same formula(for better or worse)
and rayman is constantly trying to reinvent the genre.

which btw is the same distintion that aplies to most 'jrpgs"
"jrpgs" are trying for the most part to stick with tradition were as "wrpg" aren't

And the other problem is people don't call wrpgs american rpgs so you can't tell me there's no double standard here.
at the very least it should be eastern rpgs and western rpgs.
---
Jirachi is the best pokemon
Please check out my pokemon lp:http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ty0G7lOSuaU
#62ryudin89Posted 4/4/2013 6:33:23 PM
This topic started off pretty damn stupid and bad. Then smash came along and made it hilarious.
---
GameFAQS=why games should be played and people should be avoided.-selfdeztruction
http://fav.me/d3e91yr
#63KamilPosted 4/4/2013 7:07:15 PM
I didn't really know what to make of this topic, I really had no business posting in here for the most part haha
---
slowbeef: Hold on it's the evil wizard who's spinning and striking a pose. And also giant swords, why the hell not.
Retsupurae on Earnest Evans, a wacky game!
#64SmallerRidleyPosted 4/4/2013 7:09:35 PM
yes and calling people stupid is totally ok.

Yeah, it's not exactly breaking new ground, eh?
---
Surely there's no problem with them putting me in Brawl, right?
It's ****ing satire, damnit. In NGE, Doritos are perishable goods
#65Kyle1022Posted 4/4/2013 8:24:24 PM
There are RPGs.

And then, there is Pokemon.

For this gen of consoles especially, the gap hasn't even been close. Pokemon has been far and away better than most if not all console JRPGs this gen. JRPGs used to be my favorite genre, but now they kinda suck. There are good ones on handhelds still though.
#66SMASHKING84Posted 4/5/2013 1:27:36 AM
Kyle1022 posted...
There are RPGs.

And then, there is Pokemon.

For this gen of consoles especially, the gap hasn't even been close. Pokemon has been far and away better than most if not all console JRPGs this gen. JRPGs used to be my favorite genre, but now they kinda suck. There are good ones on handhelds still though.

agreed with a couple exceptions:xenoblade tales of graces f, tales of symphonia 2,tales of vesperia,and elder scrolls.
---
#67OoSubaruoOPosted 4/5/2013 1:46:16 AM
dreamkaster64 posted...
emagdnE posted...
jRPG = interactive movie

so heavy rain would qualify as an jrpg?

So, I guess Uncharted is a JRPG now too then.
#68SMASHKING84Posted 4/5/2013 1:54:57 AM
OoSubaruoO posted...
dreamkaster64 posted...
emagdnE posted...
jRPG = interactive movie

so heavy rain would qualify as an jrpg?

So, I guess Uncharted is a JRPG now too then.

ignore endgame he thinks ANY GAME with ANY semblances of a plot is an interactive movie,i remember him stating chrono trigger is an interactive movie,a game with LITERALLY NO CUTSCENES(unless you play the ps one version which only has like 4 cutscenes...)
---
#69Cecil255Posted 4/5/2013 8:51:09 AM(edited)
This is quite a funny idea for a thread and illustrates why people need to stop using the term, "JRPG".

JRPG stands for, "Japanese role-playing game". INDISPUTABLE FACT.

So, what does a game being an JRPG tell us? Absolutely nothing other than the fact that it was an RPG and developed in Japan. It gives us no cold hard facts about the gameplay, story, characters, graphics, NOTHING.

Instead, we assume what the game is like because people wrongheadedly attach adjectives to JRPGs. While some of them may be true in a vague, general sense, JRPG ultimately tells us no inherent truth about a game. (other than the fact it was an RPG that happened to be developed in Japan) Is it an action RPG, a roguelike, an MMO? Is it 2D or 3D? No way in hell to know.

bottom line: dear goodness people, please stop using the term JRPG when you A) don't know what it means B) It's an almost utterly useless term.

(p.s. TC, you asked 2 completely different questions in the thread title and poll question. Should have just asked 1: "Is the Pokemon main series a JRPG?" and see what responses you get.)