Black Line on my NEW Pikachu 3DS XL :( UPDATE!

#1FinalFantasyForeverPosted 4/4/2013 5:44:15 PM(edited)
So Nintendo Repair got my package in, and this is basically what they said:

The top LCD was cracked internally (as to why there was a line running vertically) and that it wasn't covered by their free repair as it wasn't a manufacturer's defect.

Pic: http://imageshack.us/a/img838/5971/20130328230847.jpg

I was like, "What??!"

Back story:

I just got my PIkachu 3DS XL from Walmart.com and within 10 hours of having it, there was this line that appeared on the top screen. I didn't drop it or bang it against anything.

---

So I called Nintendo support again and inquired about why it would be $145 to repair my handheld and I mentioned how I just got it and hours later, it had a line appear. They said it may have been caused by a package drop during shipment (basically from Walmart.com to my house) and the crack appeared after a while, due to pressure, movement, whatever, of the top screen.

They were able to compromise and repair the top screen for $39, since it's sold out EVERYWHERE, or else I would have exchanged it locally at Walmart for free.

All in all, I paid $199 for the system (after the repair fee) since I had it price-matched from the Target Ad. Oh well. Now I feel like this system is super sensitive
---
Game Grabs, Trailers, and Pickups!
http://www.youtube.com/storino03
#2Pork_buttonmashPosted 4/4/2013 5:47:13 PM
A Pikachu with a black line?! Lucky bastard... I have crappy luck when it comes to shiny Pokemon :(
#3JackofSpades209Posted 4/4/2013 6:34:46 PM
This actually happened to a few people, I'm surprised there charging you
---
Dont french fry when youre supposed to pizza. If you french fry when you're supposed to pizza you're gonna have a bad time.
#4FinalFantasyForever(Topic Creator)Posted 4/4/2013 6:39:05 PM
I don't understand how the line is a perfect line from top to bottom. I would have thought that a crack would be jagged and spiderweb like. I even mentioned that I figured it was a line of dead pixels, but the CSR said that they only appear in dots and not a single line like that.

Originally, the repair was either pay $145 or have it sent back un-repaired.
---
#5Excess-FatPosted 4/4/2013 6:57:03 PM
What I don't understand is why people feel the need to be compensated for every little thing, when you spend money on a product it's not always going to be "like new", after a while the products bound to suffer from a little natural ware n' tare.
---
Currently Playing: Dragon Quest Monsters: Joker, MegaMan ZX, Kingdom Hearts Re: Coded.
#6elbarto1Posted 4/4/2013 7:00:41 PM
Excess-Fat posted...
What I don't understand is why people feel the need to be compensated for every little thing, when you spend money on a product it's not always going to be "like new", after a while the products bound to suffer from a little natural ware n' tare.

Because in this case it was a brand new unit that was defective out of the box. I don't know about you but if I spend $200 and the screen is broken/damaged/defective through no fault of my own I demand it be fixed and for free.
TC isn't being unreasonable. In fact I am surprised he accepted their "offer" and paid the $39. Its well within the limits for a free repair/refund.
---
You cannot blame society's ills on video games Its just absurd-Capcom
:XBL: THE B0DY :PSN: bionichrist
#7FinalFantasyForever(Topic Creator)Posted 4/4/2013 7:01:48 PM
Did you even read my original post? The line appeared within 10 hours of getting the handheld. I wasn't even playing it for 10 hours straight. A new product shouldn't have a fault so soon for no apparent reason.
---
#8HaxMegaPosted 4/4/2013 7:02:33 PM
Excess-Fat posted...

If I buy a product brand new, I damn well expect it to be brand new when I open it. The TC didn't describe wear and tear, but a manufacturing defect. He has a right to be pissed off that his brand new system has a screwed up screen. If my Pikachu system had that issue, you better believe I would be on the phone with Nintendo until I got the repair for free.
---
Gamer Tag: Hax Mega //// PSN: Haxmega //// Proud Pswii60 & PSVita/3DS owner
i5-2500k OC 4.6Ghz/// Asus DCU II GTX 670 ///8GB ram/// CM Haf X
#9FinalFantasyForever(Topic Creator)Posted 4/4/2013 7:03:23 PM
Reason being, I wanted it fixed asap and I had a budget in mind so like I said in the original post, I basically paid MSRP ($199) on it, and I'm okay with that, given the limited nature of the system.
---
#10Excess-FatPosted 4/4/2013 7:16:11 PM
elbarto1 posted...
Excess-Fat posted...

Because in this case it was a brand new unit that was defective out of the box. I don't know about you but if I spend $200 and the screen is broken/damaged/defective through no fault of my own I demand it be fixed and for free.
TC isn't being unreasonable. In fact I am surprised he accepted their "offer" and paid the $39. Its well within the limits for a free repair/refund.

When people buy something whether it be new or used they're taking a personal risk (especially if it's through mail). The company owes absolutely nothing to the buyer if the product is not to their liking but that's just me. People need to start owning up to there mistakes and stop blaming every-one else.
---
Currently Playing: Dragon Quest Monsters: Joker, MegaMan ZX, Kingdom Hearts Re: Coded.