How did a small price-drop boost the 3DS's sale by so much?

#1G1ingyPosted 4/5/2013 10:12:00 PM
Okay, the price-drop isn't exactly "small" as far as price drops normally go, especially considering the drop happened so soon after release.

But when you look at the big picture, the price drop wasn't entirely big either. If the original price was far too high for me to warrant a buy, I certainly wouldn't have bought it if it dropped by ~$80 or something.

The only reason I waited so long to buy the 3DS was purely because I was waiting for Etrian Odyssey 4, not because it's price was reduced. And I don't see people who can not afford the 3DS to suddenly rush to buy one just because of an $80 drop in price.
#2RPGNinja123Posted 4/5/2013 10:13:09 PM
G1ingy posted...
Okay, the price-drop isn't exactly "small" as far as price drops normally go, especially considering the drop happened so soon after release.

But when you look at the big picture, the price drop wasn't entirely big either. If the original price was far too high for me to warrant a buy, I certainly wouldn't have bought it if it dropped by ~$80 or something.

The only reason I waited so long to buy the 3DS was purely because I was waiting for Etrian Odyssey 4, not because it's price was reduced. And I don't see people who can not afford the 3DS to suddenly rush to buy one just because of an $80 drop in price.

Its not small it makes a big difference. Companies should do it more often but a lot of times they don't want to operate at a loss in the beginning so they become stubborn.
---
Favorite Series = Fire Emblem //// Favorite Game = Dark Souls
3DS Friend Code = 0232-8140-1787 (send a PM if you add me)
#3Genericgamer667Posted 4/5/2013 10:13:44 PM
Super Mario 3d land
---
3DS FC: 4940-5445-8767
It is a remake, not my fault you people think ports are remakes (but only on Nintendo systems)-Demondog666 on Kid Icarus Uprising
#4aak57Posted 4/5/2013 10:14:46 PM
A 30% price drop is not insignificant. Also, value comes into play. I can certainly afford to buy a Wii U right now, but I haven't because I don't feel it's worth the asking price at the moment.
---
May thine...strength...help the world be mended
http://i.imgur.com/HdBP0.jpg
#5G1ingy(Topic Creator)Posted 4/5/2013 10:16:34 PM
RPGNinja123 posted...
G1ingy posted...

Its not small it makes a big difference. Companies should do it more often but a lot of times they don't want to operate at a loss in the beginning so they become stubborn.

Is it really that much?

Had they released Etrian Odyssey 4 and Fire Emblem during the console's launch, I'd still have bought it at that price. It'd suck to suddenly see it drop by $80, but eh, people got their difference in money back anyways.

Plus, considering I bought the FAT DS near it's launch day and enjoyed it up till I jumped ship to 3DS, it didn't seem like that steep a price tag. Expensive, but worth it for the years I'll play it.
#6SMASHKING84Posted 4/5/2013 10:19:04 PM
mostly because they released more games arround the same time.
---
Jirachi is the best pokemon
Please check out my pokemon lp:http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ty0G7lOSuaU
#7MeleeSonic97Posted 4/5/2013 10:34:16 PM
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Price_elasticity_of_demand
---
NP: Chrono Trigger, Gears of War 3
Philadelphia Eagles: Draft Eric Fisher
#8MetalLokiPosted 4/5/2013 11:24:43 PM
Genericgamer667 posted...
Super Mario 3d land

Does everyone but me have this? I haven't bought a Mario game since Sunshine and I'm perfectly OK with that.
---
The official Loki of the Shin Megami Tensei IV board
The beautiful female investigator Ai is the Space Guardian Academys top agent.
#9PendragoonPosted 4/5/2013 11:33:57 PM
Super Mario 3d land

Followed by Mario Kart 7 the 3DS just began to steamroll everything. The price drop actually only helped sales for a few weeks before they dropped back down, but once these games hit, sales began to explode.
---
Know Japanese? Post your advice in the topic below!
http://gamefaqs.com/boards/316-gamefaqs-world-japan/63714709
#10Starwars4JPosted 4/5/2013 11:43:23 PM
MetalLoki posted...
Super Mario 3d land

Does everyone but me have this? I haven't bought a Mario game since Sunshine and I'm perfectly OK with that.

Most people seem to, yes. It's a very highly rated game. However you seem to act as though you're being made to get it. No one cares if you buy the game or not, they were simply providing another reason for the increased sales.
---
What I can't get over is how she ripped one testicle off..~Frogstir
I can't read your topics without expecting Bel Air now.~KensaiBlade