How did a small price-drop boost the 3DS's sale by so much?

#11Lelouch71Posted 4/5/2013 11:48:28 PM
Games

Good games that people want move systems.
---
"Your arms are too short to box with God!"
#12RPGNinja123Posted 4/6/2013 12:00:34 AM
MetalLoki posted...
Genericgamer667 posted...
Super Mario 3d land

Does everyone but me have this? I haven't bought a Mario game since Sunshine and I'm perfectly OK with that.

I only have it cuz I took it for the promotion with Luigis Mansion so I guess that doesn't really count.

As for the TC. Don't get me wrong I bought the 3DS XL in March for 199.99 and it was specifically for Fire Emblem. I don't regret it one bit either.
---
Favorite Series = Fire Emblem //// Favorite Game = Dark Souls
3DS Friend Code = 0232-8140-1787 (send a PM if you add me)
#13darkstar4221Posted 4/6/2013 12:42:53 AM(edited)
The main thing that the 3DS has over the Vita is backwards compatibility. If you never owned a DS you can still play DS games on the 3DS. You can even use R4i carts, it's is fully backwards compatible.

The Vita would be selling much better if it was fully backwards compatible with the PSP. But Sony really messed up by forcing the consumers to use their expensive proprietary memory cards. Then the limits with transferring music and movies with CMA, and all sorts of other restrictions on the Vita.

Also were an economic crisis which has resulted in very low video game sales. In Japan inflation is hitting them hard combined with the expensive cost of video games, is anyone really surprised that video game sales are low? The sad thing is in this economic crisis the publishers and the console manufactures refuse to lower prices. Instead they are increasing the cost of gaming, and nickeling and the diming the consumer. They must be crazy. In this terrible economy you would think publishers want to lower prices, but they don't want to. Hey the publishers will continue losing money and video game sales (both hardware and software) will continue to be low.
#14VyersPosted 4/6/2013 12:39:24 AM
G1ingy posted...
Okay, the price-drop isn't exactly "small" as far as price drops normally go, especially considering the drop happened so soon after release.

But when you look at the big picture, the price drop wasn't entirely big either. If the original price was far too high for me to warrant a buy, I certainly wouldn't have bought it if it dropped by ~$80 or something.

The only reason I waited so long to buy the 3DS was purely because I was waiting for Etrian Odyssey 4, not because it's price was reduced. And I don't see people who can not afford the 3DS to suddenly rush to buy one just because of an $80 drop in price.

It's a really big jump; imagine. A 3DS and two games goes from $330 to $250. Plus, $1XX is a more appealing number than $2XX.
---
http://www.youtube.com/user/ThankTheBear Subscribe for LPs of Pokemon Snap, The Legend of Zelda, Dragon Warrior, Super Mario Bros. 3, Bionicle, and more~!