Why did Nintendo even bother making the 3DS XL?

#31Devil875Posted 4/7/2013 12:23:04 PM
It's much more comfortable to hold. The first 3DS actually had a pretty bad design.
---
"I am come."
#32TalesOfGodPosted 4/7/2013 12:30:53 PM
Solnot posted...
The 3DS was doing just fine in sales after they decided to drop the price of the system. There was really no point for them to create the 3DS XL when the original 3DS was still selling well among consumers. The 3DS XL is just an unnecessary revision when the original 3DS is so much better in terms of size and price.

You're either a vita fanboy or you've never tried the XL. It is MUCH better than the original 3ds in every way.
#33xKYSxPosted 4/7/2013 12:35:18 PM
I prefer the original model. the screen resolution doesn't bother me, it's a person's preference thing.

longer battery life, can be good yes but most of the time I don't game to the point that my 3DS dies when I'm on the go in general.

comfortable to hold - doesn't bother me for the original so another preference thing.
---
360 GT & PSN = xKYSx.
#34blingusPosted 4/7/2013 12:38:53 PM
CKMog posted...
They wanted a deluxe version.

Bigger/Better screen.
Longer battery life
More comfortable to hold

It's better in every way, this is coming from someone who has both. I have never heard of anyone wanting to go back.

Agreed! I bought the 3DS before price drop. Sold it at $10 loss 2 weeks later. I liked it but the 3D effect on the tiny screen was just too straining on my old eyes.

On launch day, I bought a blue XL and was so happy with the size, weight, battery life and comfort compared to the non XL. Unfortunately, the larger screen did little to help me with the 3D effect so I keep it in 2D mode 95% of the time. Overall, I think the XL is the superior product and personally think if Nintendo put that 2nd analog stick on the XL, hardly anyone would complain about it. And I'm not blaming Nintendo for doing a crappy job with the 3D function because my eyes are just not suited for glasses free 3D.
---
7200rpm 320GB(OG 60)+320GB Slim PS3s, Reach+Gears 360s, Black Wii U, Modded Xbox, Black Sega DC+Saturn, Panasonic Q, PSP, 64GB iPhone 4S+iPad 4, 3DS XL, PSVITA!
#35danielmgPosted 4/7/2013 12:41:46 PM
They wanted to fix the 3DS. The original had a lot of problems.
---
cartoondan.com
#36indigna7ionPosted 4/7/2013 12:42:12 PM
I like the look and size of the original. I hope they make a new model between the 2 sizes.
#37mjc0961Posted 4/7/2013 12:43:52 PM(edited)
sixdeadpixels posted...
the build quality is definitely worse than the original.

Has a proper d-pad and start, select, and home buttons.
Has full L and R buttons instead of that skinny half-button crap.
Has a 3D switch that can stay locked into the off position.
Has headphone port off to one side instead of in the middle.
Has stylus on the side rather than on the back next to the cartridge slot.
Has matte finish to avoid nasty fingerprints all over it and a nicer overall feel in the hand.
Has round corners instead of sharp corners that dig into your hand.
Doesn't have an ugly as sin three layer design that also allows the back layer to start separating from the middle layer (I had to send my original 3DS in for warranty repairs because of this and how horrible the d-pad was).
And most importantly, doesn't have a pointless second raised edge around the touch screen that is designed solely to destroy your top screen when you close the system.

Yeah, that's definitely worse, but only if you have no understanding of what the word worse means. To everyone who does know what worse means, it's undeniable fact that the original 3DS has far worse build quality than the XL. I don't even need that entire list to prove that, just the fact that the original is designed to destroy your top screen and the XL isn't is all you need to prove that the XL's build quality is vastly superior.
---
sirtonne posted...
This topic is so stupid I had to slap my wife.
#38Yargitsu99zPosted 4/7/2013 12:53:56 PM
You should have included a poll.

"Yes, the XL is better"
---
[Expletive deleted at request of Gamefaqs]
P.o.I.: you may know me as; "Zanzibar Man", "----824", or "Sam Yargo".
#39esoteric42Posted 4/7/2013 12:56:30 PM
Nintendo chose to make the XL model because:

Higher profit margin than original 3DS

Success of DSiXL

Why consumers choose 3DS XL:

Better 3D viewing angle

Larger SD Card

More comfortable grip
---
US 3DS Friend Code: 4511-0481-8141 (Bryan)
#40IrateGameFAQerPosted 4/7/2013 12:58:19 PM
esoteric42 posted...
Nintendo chose to make the XL model because:

Higher profit margin than original 3DS

Success of DSiXL

Why consumers choose 3DS XL:

Better 3D viewing angle

Larger SD Card

More comfortable grip

I hope to god the SD card wasn't a factor, cause if it was, people are stupider than I thought.
---
#1 Chris Bores fan!