Why did Nintendo even bother making the 3DS XL?

#41TehTrumpCardPosted 4/7/2013 12:01:41 PM
It's all about that XL life!

Better for bigger hands
No screen scratching
Better stylus and Headphone jack placement
Larger 3D sweet spot
Larger screens (Probably ideal for anyone who wants Netflix on a handheld)
More comfortable grip
3D clicks on and off
Larger battery life
Gets bundled with 2 more GBs

And yet all I see is...

"Wahhhh, the original 3DS is louder and wahhh, the XL doesn't fit in my pocket because I don't wear normal pants/jeans."
---
I love Nowi!!! http://tinyurl.com/trump-nowi http://tinyurl.com/durrhubba
3DSXL FC: 4640-0379-8455 PSN (PS3+Vita): TehTrumpCard
#42egglinkPosted 4/7/2013 12:05:50 PM
Because, they must please the giants.
---
Philosophy: Needs more Ice type, and Dragons are the devil.
#43Second_ChancesPosted 4/7/2013 12:07:59 PM
The XL is better in every way except DPI and arguably how portable it is, but the XL is still pretty portable unless you wear skinny jeans or something.
#44CherryEgoPosted 4/7/2013 12:18:21 PM
I never liked the original 3DS, but I adore my XL. It's a thing of beauty.
---
Any tree can drop an apple, I'll drop the freaking moon.
3DS FC: 1779-0008-9330. User name: Cherry
#45toon_link_346Posted 4/7/2013 12:19:41 PM
Why have they released 4+ more iPhones?
It's one of the most standard business practices. Upgrade something to get more money.
---
''You have to put hot sauce on eggs. salt and pepper?
that's just dirty. seriously, it's like sexual harassment'
#46TeraPatrick2008Posted 4/7/2013 12:51:41 PM
Why does apple bother making new iCr_p every year?
#47BattleStarXPosted 4/7/2013 12:52:28 PM
Some gamers can't handle the relatively small screens of the original 3DS, hence the reason the XL (which stands for Extra-Large,) came on to the scene.

I'm not one of those gamers (I grew up with that ol' GameBoy screen, after all,) but I do at least see the common sense reason for the XL.
---
---
Swooping... is... BAD!
#48blingusPosted 4/7/2013 1:00:09 PM(edited)
TehTrumpCard posted...
It's all about that XL life!

Better for bigger hands
No screen scratching
Better stylus and Headphone jack placement
Larger 3D sweet spot
Larger screens (Probably ideal for anyone who wants Netflix on a handheld)
More comfortable grip
3D clicks on and off
Larger battery life
Gets bundled with 2 more GBs

And yet all I see is...

"Wahhhh, the original 3DS is louder and wahhh, the XL doesn't fit in my pocket because I don't wear normal pants/jeans."

Exactly TehTrumpCard! I was going to quote Mjc0961 but I really loved your "Wahhhh" quote! You both were right on point as to the reasons why the XL is truly the "better" design.

It's totally true the XL trumps the original one but kill me for not buying 3 Zelda's 3DS to sell 2 of them and keep the 3rd in the box for a collectors item. That was a beautiful design Nintendo did on the lid and is worth some big bucks now.

Oh and Toon_Link_346 is totally right as well. Economics, economics!
---
7200rpm 320GB(OG 60)+320GB Slim PS3s, Reach+Gears 360s, Black Wii U, Modded Xbox, Black Sega DC+Saturn, Panasonic Q, PSP, 64GB iPhone 4S+iPad 4, 3DS XL, PSVITA!
#49CompassPosted 4/7/2013 1:22:18 PM
CKMog posted...
I have never heard of anyone wanting to go back.

Um, what? They're everywhere. I bought an XL and rarely touch it because I like my original system so much better. Every time I pick the XL up I'm reminded why I let it get so dusty since the last time. Original has far better image quality, is lighter and actually portable, has a much more sophisticated and modern design (i.e.: doesn't look like a Fisher-Price "My first laptop!"), and better speakers. It's a no brainer.

Simple fact is many prefer the XL because it's the latest and greatest system, and they're conditioned to think that automatically makes it better. If the systems had been released in reverse order, a lot of those same people would be swearing the smaller design is better. (Difference is they'd be right this time.)
#50TK-TonePosted 4/7/2013 1:24:09 PM
I'm all for the XL. That means when I decide to eventually buy a 3DS, I can buy a lesser model for even cheaper!
---
I'm a bear! Yar!