Why did Nintendo even bother making the 3DS XL?

#51d0wnerPosted 4/7/2013 2:36:44 PM
sixdeadpixels posted...
It's bigger, but it's definitely not better. It's different, and it's good to have a choice.

The dot pitch and PPI on the XL are just awful. The speakers are terrible, and the build quality is definitely worse than the original. Most people see a larger screen, and automatically equate that to it being a "better" or "upgraded" product. The screen is just larger, displaying the same amount of information; this results in obvious image degradation.

This.

I prefer the XL, for the larger screens and the comfort, but it has its share of flaws. The build quality is markedly worse.

And the screen scratching/marking issue is not fixed with the XL, this is a common misconception. The same design flaw exists in both models.
---
shoot the core.
#52DoctorEggmanPosted 4/7/2013 2:40:01 PM
Uhh, the XL is the superior version. Lol TC
---
If you read this signature, then that meant that I had control of what you read for 5 SECONDS!!
http://i.imgur.com/n8yh1.jpg
#53blingusPosted 4/7/2013 2:40:11 PM
Compass posted...
CKMog posted...
I have never heard of anyone wanting to go back.

Um, what? They're everywhere. I bought an XL and rarely touch it because I like my original system so much better. Every time I pick the XL up I'm reminded why I let it get so dusty since the last time. Original has far better image quality, is lighter and actually portable, has a much more sophisticated and modern design (i.e.: doesn't look like a Fisher-Price "My first laptop!"), and better speakers. It's a no brainer.

Simple fact is many prefer the XL because it's the latest and greatest system, and they're conditioned to think that automatically makes it better. If the systems had been released in reverse order, a lot of those same people would be swearing the smaller design is better. (Difference is they'd be right this time.)

Wow! Please don't take this as trolling or hating because I totally am all for diversity and differing opinions but to me the non XL looks like the 2nd worst handheld design Nintendo has ever made. #1 would be the original launch DS.

But hey it's cool with me (chocolate, vanilla, strawberry and rocky road bro) and obviously for consumers as well because the majority of global sales is the smaller form factor.
---
7200rpm 320GB(OG 60)+320GB Slim PS3s, Reach+Gears 360s, Black Wii U, Modded Xbox, Black Sega DC+Saturn, Panasonic Q, PSP, 64GB iPhone 4S+iPad 4, 3DS XL, PSVITA!
#54metalmariolordPosted 4/7/2013 2:50:11 PM
CKMog posted...
They wanted a deluxe version.

Bigger/Better screen.
Longer battery life
More comfortable to hold

It's better in every way, this is coming from someone who has both. I have never heard of anyone wanting to go back. I know a few of my friends caved in and got one once they seen Fire Emblem/Monster Hunter on it.

THIS.
---
Do you judge games by graphics and not gameplay?Only like realistic games?
GO PLAY REAL LIFE!
#55ThatGuyZPosted 4/7/2013 2:50:59 PM
Compass posted...
CKMog posted...

Um, what? They're everywhere. I bought an XL and rarely touch it because I like my original system so much better. Every time I pick the XL up I'm reminded why I let it get so dusty since the last time. Original has far better image quality, is lighter and actually portable, has a much more sophisticated and modern design (i.e.: doesn't look like a Fisher-Price "My first laptop!"), and better speakers. It's a no brainer.

Simple fact is many prefer the XL because it's the latest and greatest system, and they're conditioned to think that automatically makes it better. If the systems had been released in reverse order, a lot of those same people would be swearing the smaller design is better. (Difference is they'd be right this time.)

This. So friggin much this. This is usually the case with most devices, unfortunately. I've only found myself upgrading to different thins simply because my older systems were played to death and were showing signs of it.
---
Jumping around, reading Tropes all day. Got video games to play, school sure isn't easy. 3DS FC-5370-0900-3336/Wii-U: NewZen41
#56GlamGlorpsPosted 4/7/2013 2:54:13 PM
The only people who say they have an XL but prefer the original are the people who secretly don't have an XL and have to reassure themselves about their original.

The XL is objectively the superior system.
#57iMURDAuPosted 4/7/2013 2:56:12 PM
Solnot topic. When will you all catch on?
---
Why Fire Emblem: Awakening is just wrong - http://i6.minus.com/isAPJZatCvECp.jpg
#58WallydraiglePosted 4/7/2013 2:57:07 PM
They wanted money.
---
Always interested in any Pokemon event distribution cartridges. My email is in my profile.
#59AugustDreamingPosted 4/7/2013 2:58:14 PM
firestorm9305 posted...
False...the XL is so much better.

Agreed, it's more comfortable for me to hold and the bigger screen is great.
---
White 2 FC ( Belle ) - 0562 6193 3719
http://www.youtube.com/user/AugustDreams
#60PendragoonPosted 4/7/2013 3:18:05 PM
Compass posted...
CKMog posted...

That modern design cuts into my hands forcing me to use an add on. My thumb regularly falls off the circle pad due to the gloss finish and cramped design. I have to mod the system to prevent multiple screen design flaws (massive glare and scratches) And I have to clean the system after each use due to the glossy design. The Original has fundamental design flaws that don't exist on the XL.

The only reason I still have my original is because it is the Zelda model and I love the designs on it. It just looks great sitting on my shelf.
---
Know Japanese? Post your advice in the topic below!
http://gamefaqs.com/boards/316-gamefaqs-world-japan/63714709