Why did Nintendo even bother making the 3DS XL?

#61TiamatKillerPosted 4/7/2013 2:25:57 PM
A better question would be why did Nintendo ever release that original 3DS in the first place.
---
i5-3570k @3.4GHZ_GTX 560Ti (2GB)_Asus P8Z77-V Pro_Samsung 840 (250GB)_1TB Seagate_8GB RAM_Zalman 9900 MAX_CoolerMaster HAF 912
#62WallydraiglePosted 4/7/2013 2:30:10 PM
TiamatKiller posted...
A better question would be why did Nintendo ever release that original 3DS in the first place.

They wanted money.
---
Always interested in any Pokemon event distribution cartridges. My email is in my profile.
#63HandsomeNerd85Posted 4/7/2013 2:42:54 PM
Well, Nintendo drops the price, loses some money. Take the development and researches made for the Ds XL, apply to the 3DsXL, at no cost, since the DS XL probably paid for the development cost. I doubt, beside of the screen, that the material cost more than what it takes to produce the 3DS. They raise the price for it, since it's the updated version, to recoup on the lost they've made occurring during the time where the 3ds wasn't profitable.

Also, it provides the market with a choice, so it bypass, for a while, the stagnation in the market.

The XL, in my opinion is a better product and a better experience for gamers, and a wise financial decision from Nintendo.
#64SiveriaPosted 4/7/2013 2:48:33 PM
abbyhitter posted...
- bigger screens
- better stylus placement
- easier to hold
- better Start/Home/Select buttons
- no screen scratching

XL is better in every way except speakers.

Could just use headphones and that fixes the speaker problem. I bought my 3ds XL at walmart here where I live for 159.99, everywhere else it was 200. There aren't that many 3ds games I want yet, it kinda has a lack of games worth buying atm, but its not as bad as the psv is. But at least I can play all my older DS titles on a far bigger screen so its worth it to me. Currently own Etrian Oddyssey 4, and Monster Hunter 3 Ultimate, and Nano Assault I picked up in a bargin bin. Apparently in japan most of the new games are still coming out on the psp insted of the vita. Guess the japanese don't feel the vita was really needed and that the psp was fine.
#65redbuckPosted 4/7/2013 3:11:41 PM
shinra35800 posted...
what's really pointless is that there is no NES classic edition version :(

http://technabob.com/blog/wp-content/uploads/2012/06/classic_nes.jpg

I'd buy one.
#66PendragoonPosted 4/7/2013 3:17:34 PM
redbuck posted...
shinra35800 posted...
what's really pointless is that there is no NES classic edition version :(

http://technabob.com/blog/wp-content/uploads/2012/06/classic_nes.jpg

I'd buy one.

Same here, that is a great looking design.
---
Know Japanese? Post your advice in the topic below!
http://gamefaqs.com/boards/316-gamefaqs-world-japan/63714709
#67AtalalamaPosted 4/7/2013 4:02:31 PM
I have both the regular 3DS & the 3DS XL version.

XL version is SOOO much better. They didn't have to improve the screen, battery life, etc. All they needed to do with increase the screen size.

Larger screen = :) me.
#68The_Mighty_KELPPosted 4/7/2013 5:01:53 PM
I bought one and haven't gone back. The buttons are better designed, the bigger touch screen means more precision, the stylus is in a better place, the 3D effect is better, and I'm pretty sure the graphics are better. I love it.

When I saw this was a Solnot topic I almost didn't respond tbh.
---
Jogurt attacks! Inflicts 1 point of damage on the Goblin. Goblin is defeated! Jogurt gains experience.
...it appears that Jogurt's level has increased to 1.
#69blingusPosted 4/7/2013 8:55:27 PM
CKMog posted...

That modern design cuts into my hands forcing me to use an add on. My thumb regularly falls off the circle pad due to the gloss finish and cramped design. I have to mod the system to prevent multiple screen design flaws (massive glare and scratches) And I have to clean the system after each use due to the glossy design. The Original has fundamental design flaws that don't exist on the XL.

The only reason I still have my original is because it is the Zelda model and I love the designs on it. It just looks great sitting on my shelf.

Good stuff and you are so correct to keep the Zelda one just for the design. I mean besides its value, that thing is a beautiful work of console art.

Put it back in its box and grab an XL. Keep the Zelda one as close to mint as possible.
---
7200rpm 320GB(OG 60)+320GB Slim PS3s, Reach+Gears 360s, Black Wii U, Modded Xbox, Black Sega DC+Saturn, Panasonic Q, PSP, 64GB iPhone 4S+iPad 4, 3DS XL, PSVITA!
#70PendragoonPosted 4/7/2013 9:01:22 PM
blingus posted...
Pendragoon posted...

That modern design cuts into my hands forcing me to use an add on. My thumb regularly falls off the circle pad due to the gloss finish and cramped design. I have to mod the system to prevent multiple screen design flaws (massive glare and scratches) And I have to clean the system after each use due to the glossy design. The Original has fundamental design flaws that don't exist on the XL.

The only reason I still have my original is because it is the Zelda model and I love the designs on it. It just looks great sitting on my shelf.

Good stuff and you are so correct to keep the Zelda one just for the design. I mean besides its value, that thing is a beautiful work of console art.

Put it back in its box and grab an XL. Keep the Zelda one as close to mint as possible.

Had to fix the goof on your quote edit.
---
Know Japanese? Post your advice in the topic below!
http://gamefaqs.com/boards/316-gamefaqs-world-japan/63714709