Why did Nintendo even bother making the 3DS XL?

#71CompassPosted 4/7/2013 9:15:24 PM
The_Mighty_KELP posted...
I bought one and haven't gone back. The buttons are better designed, the bigger touch screen means more precision, the stylus is in a better place, the 3D effect is better, and I'm pretty sure the graphics are better. I love it.

When I saw this was a Solnot topic I almost didn't respond tbh.

You're pretty sure the graphics are better, eh?
#72NnamzPosted 4/7/2013 9:36:07 PM
Why did Nintendo even bother making the 3DS XL?

Because the original model is a turd.

The screens are tiny. The build quality is horrible, flimsy, and fragile. The design is so bad it scratches itself. The edges are cornered and pointy (who wants to hold a rectangle?? Who designed this thing???). The battery life is terrible. The start and select buttons are awful and overall it just feels like a cheap piece of plastic.

The XL has a bigger and better screen, is sturdier, has better build quality, has better battery life, and is more ergonomic.

It's far from a pointless revision. Nintendo addressed every major hardware issue of the original with it. After owning the original for over a year, switching made a world of a difference.
---
PS3/Vita ID: Nnamz <-- Please message before add. Otherwise will not accept.
3DS Friend Code: 4527 - 7250 - 9769 <-- Inbox me your FC.
#73Coryo61827Posted 4/7/2013 10:08:30 PM
I love my 3ds XL! The big screen is gorgeous! My only gripe is that the circle pad pro obviously won't fit on it and it doesn't sound like there's one coming out anytime soon for the XL.

That sucked for me cause I loved playing resident evil revelations with the circle pad pro, but luckily revelations is coming out in HD for playstation 3 next month so I'm just going to get that. :)
---
Sent from my iPhone via PowerFAQs 1.9
#74NnamzPosted 4/8/2013 3:40:12 PM
Coryo61827 posted...
I love my 3ds XL! The big screen is gorgeous! My only gripe is that the circle pad pro obviously won't fit on it and it doesn't sound like there's one coming out anytime soon for the XL.

It's already out (in Japan). I have it and it's pretty great.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1w_rv9y5QNs

It's likely it won't come out here, so I'd just go ahead and import if you can afford it.
---
#75Coryo61827Posted 4/8/2013 7:31:00 PM
Oh good to know! Thanks! I really wish I had known this a while ago lol. Seeing as how revelations HD is almost out I'm not too worried about a circle pad pro since it was the one game I really needed it for. :)
---
Sent from my iPhone via PowerFAQs 1.9
#76NnamzPosted 4/8/2013 7:34:50 PM
Coryo61827 posted...
Oh good to know! Thanks! I really wish I had known this a while ago lol. Seeing as how revelations HD is almost out I'm not too worried about a circle pad pro since it was the one game I really needed it for. :)

Revelations controls gloriously with a second stick. Feels more at home with that game than any other 3DS game. Got me back into raid mode.
---
#77DarthFloatyPosted 4/8/2013 7:39:38 PM
Because it's awesome. I would have got a 3DS eventually anyway, but after putting 15 hours in on my brothers before I had mine, and the ~120ish on my XL, I know that I prefer the XL quite a bit.
#78MyLovelyTotoriPosted 4/8/2013 7:43:09 PM
It's fine right?

Because there's XL, people been racing to sell their old 3DS to change to XL, and you can even buy them at dirt cheap price.
#79hello_indigoPosted 4/8/2013 8:40:05 PM
CKMog posted...
They wanted a deluxe version.

Bigger/Still garbage screen.
Longer battery life
More comfortable to hold

Fix'd
#80Phange 2Posted 4/8/2013 8:45:27 PM
The truth of the 3DS XL is simply this

It's cheaper to make than the 3DS.

Seriously.

Virtually everything about it is cheaper - from the casing to the lack of a 3D LED. It's still a better-designed system, don't get me wrong, but it's clearly an attempt to sell a handheld with a better profit margin than the standard 3DS - whose price was dropped far too low for Nintendo's comfort.

Heck, the XL doesn't even come with an AC adaptor in Europe and Japan. No dock, cheaper packaging, etc. It's all cost-cutting.
---
Bacon.
Playstation Network: Phange