Is 3DS more powerful than GameCube?

#1JackyBoyJaneyGiPosted 4/7/2013 4:42:12 PM
I can't find any detailed technical specs on the Nintendo 3DS. But here are the technical specs on the GameCube.

CPU: 64 bit, 486 Megahertz
RAM: 40 megabytes
Video RAM: 2 megabytes
GPU: 162 Megahertz
Resolution: 640x480 pixels
Storage Media: 1.5 gigabytes

Here are the Nintendo 3DS specs

CPU: Dual-Core ARM11 MPCore (how many megahertz?)
RAM: 128 megabytes (much higher than GameCube)
Video RAM: 4 megabytes (higher than GameCube)
GPU: Digial Media Professionals PICA200 GPU (how many megahertz?)
Resolution: 400x200 (much lower than GameCube, but it has a small screen so it's excusable)
Storage Media: 2.0 gigabytes (slightly higher than GameCube)

We can determine than the 3DS despite it's small size is more powerful than the GameCube in most levels that we know of. But why is there no detailed info about the CPU or GPU? It's amazing though how fast technology has evolved. I thought the remake of Resident Evil on GameCube had the best graphics of any video game I ever seen, and the idea that you can have enough space to play this on a portable console today just baffels me.
#2somebody336Posted 4/7/2013 4:43:27 PM
Yus
---
http://crabdom.cu.cc/forums/index.php
Fc: 0490-5171-0607
#3MeleeSonic97Posted 4/7/2013 4:44:13 PM
Tag, I've always wondered this. Maybe there's someone who knows this kinda stuff
---
NP: Chrono Trigger, Gears of War 3
Philadelphia Eagles: Draft Eric Fisher
#4its_mattPosted 4/7/2013 4:48:42 PM
On paper 3ds sounds like it has the win but being a hand held there are issues with power supply and being compact so cooling and so we will probably never see the hardware pushed as hard as a home console.
#5Pork_buttonmashPosted 4/7/2013 4:50:07 PM
More powerful than a Gamecube, less powerful than an NES
#6adampeltzPosted 4/7/2013 4:53:45 PM
I think the GCN pushes way more geometry/polygons but the 3DS does everything else better.
---
XBL gamertag: Peltz | Wii U NNID: Peltz-0
3DS Friend code: 1161-0129-0691.
#7stargazer64Posted 4/7/2013 4:53:50 PM
NB4 Professor Grans arrives
---
This is superfrog HD! it's in HD dammit! - mike_411
#8gransPosted 4/7/2013 5:04:27 PM(edited)
The CPU and GPU in the 3DS are apparently clocked at 268mhz. Reported on 3dbrew from people who have done extensive analysis on the 3DS hardware (some apparently involving some rudimentary hacking).

The clock speed isn't really relevant here however in determining which system is more powerful. Some CPU's and GPU's are more powerful than others even when clocked at lower frequencies. Like how a Core i series CPU will beat an old Pentium D by a huge margin, even if they both have the same number of cores and the Pentium is clocked at a much higher frequency. That's the case with the 3DS too. Here's a snippet I saved once from a person who used to frequent these forums and knew a lot about the technical aspects of hardware-
http://pastebin.com/Ybsn0fyA

And actually the largest 3DS games have been 4GB in size. Resident Evil Revelations and Metal Gear Solid 3D for example both used a 4GB cartridge. They also have the potential to reach 8GB in size if the developer wants. And even that may not actually be the maximum limitation (it was simply what the manufacturer of 3DS cartridges said was possible several years ago).

I think the GCN pushes way more geometry/polygons but the 3DS does everything else better.

GC doesn't even win in that regard. The 3DS' GPU is capable of pushing more polygons. The GC's GPU pushes 8-12 million polygons per second realistically. The stock Pica200 could do more than 15 million at only 200mhz. That's already more than the GC, but the model inside the 3DS is clocked higher at 268mhz. Plus the resolution is much lower on the 3DS than the Pica200 was originally designed for. When you factor both of those elements into the equation, it's capable of far more than the stock model, we're talking over 20 million.
---
NEVER judge a game you have not played.
-Granville
#9GhetsisPosted 4/7/2013 5:04:59 PM
3DS carts vary in size. I know for a fact that Revelations is much larger than just 2GB.
---
For those players who don't speak Australian, we have provided an English translation of the previous scene. Do you want to replay the scene?
#10JackyBoyJaneyGi(Topic Creator)Posted 4/7/2013 5:10:28 PM
The Nintendo 3DS may be even more powerful than the Nintendo Wii. But the Wii was outdated compared to the PlayStation 3 and Xbox 360 in terms of technical specs and graphics.