Is 3DS more powerful than GameCube?

#91L0L_FAQPosted 4/10/2013 1:55:03 AM
What, you don't want to spend a day and half arguing over the merits of the image quality of a pixelated cactus? Get thee off GameFAQs!

I know, I really found it hilarious how this thread's gone for 2 pages on cactus geometry.
---
http://i.imgur.com/Tk5qqZc.png
"I dont combine the 3DS and LL together to inflate the numbers. I live in the real world" - Sailor Goon
#92Rurouni720Posted 4/10/2013 4:33:08 AM
I've never seen anyone is such deep DEEP denial in my entire life. Ever.

Wow.

The amount of irony coming from this comment is significantly hilarious, if not astounding. Especially from someone who seems have a hard time comprehending the difference between resolution and loss of Geometry upon a video game'a visual assets while shooting himself in the foot constantly (with Blaze's case being criminally worse it's obvious, which i wonder how he's still kicking the dead horse with vast amounts of cherry picking in this topic).
#93KAMMYqueenPosted 4/10/2013 4:35:58 AM
it is more powerful than the gamecube it also more powerful than the wii in some areas but weaker in other
---
KAMMY KOOPA is the final hope for Nintendo!
#94gransPosted 4/10/2013 7:27:03 AM
I know, I really found it hilarious how this thread's gone for 2 pages on cactus geometry.

True that. I actually forgot that this thread was even about something else entirely for a bit.

I'll just say this: the 3DS is a more powerful system than the GC by far and the Wii by less. I don't really care about this specific argument too much, but the 3DS's graphics chip has the ability to render 4K cinema resolution video while the Wii's Hollywood would poop itself at having to render that much.

The 3DS version of MH3 is also probably conservative on geometry because of 3D (which causes a significant performance hit). As for textures, if they're poorer on the 3DS then Capcom should be ashamed because the 3DS has more available RAM for games.

And that's really all you need there.

By the way, good to see you here again L0L_FAQ! I've missed you! :D
---
NEVER judge a game you have not played.
-Granville
#95blazeUP12Posted 4/10/2013 10:09:04 AM
L0L_FAQ posted...
What, you don't want to spend a day and half arguing over the merits of the image quality of a pixelated cactus? Get thee off GameFAQs!

I know right? It's like pulling teeth in here.
---
hello earthlings, i am from another planet
#96Bancario51Posted 4/10/2013 10:23:51 AM
was the gamecube more powerful than the dreamcast?
---
What is the meaning of life? A: Nanomachines, son
If you agree to be my wangdingo, quote my level and karma~
#97blazeUP12Posted 4/10/2013 10:37:57 AM(edited)
L0L_FAQ posted...
The 3DS version of MH3 is also probably conservative on geometry because of 3D (which causes a significant performance hit). As for textures, if they're poorer on the 3DS then Capcom should be ashamed because the 3DS has more available RAM for games.

Thank you for this admission. The reason MH3 3DS performs better than MH3 Wii is because the game is tossing around less geometry.

Now why don't you explain to your buddy grans how you came to this groundbreaking realization?

Here's some specific comparisons to help prove your point (mainly that camera angle and low resolution arguments can't mask an obviously low poly model, and a straight edged rock is less complex than a curved one):

MH3 Cactus:
http://i.imgur.com/WrnKx1u.jpg
http://i.imgur.com/4JnLPbh.jpg

MH3 Rock:
http://i.imgur.com/fInxt5W.jpg
http://nintendoeverything.com/wp-content/gallery/monster-hunter-comparison/monster_hunter_tri_comparison-6.jpg
---
#98gransPosted 4/10/2013 10:34:26 AM
was the gamecube more powerful than the dreamcast?

Yes, considerably so. Dreamcast was even weaker than the PS2. We may not have seen the absolute full potential of the Dreamcast reached in a game form due to the system receiving poor support and dying prematurely, but the tech specs are the weakest of its generation compared to PS2, GC, and Xbox.
---
-Granville
#99gransPosted 4/10/2013 12:36:41 PM
As for textures, if they're poorer on the 3DS then Capcom should be ashamed because the 3DS has more available RAM for games.

And I'm still not seeing this being anything more than a side effect of the 3DS screen's lower resolution. As a PC gamer for all my life, I have had tons of experience with experimenting with screen resolution and found this to always be the case. Raising or lowering the resolution in PC games (or any other game) tends to dramatically affect the texture detail. That's what appears to be affected the 3DS version's textures. If the game actually did run in a higher resolution than it does now and still retained its blurry nature on the textures, then there would be some merit there. But Tri Ultimate on Wii U is pretty much a direct port of the 3DS version with the same graphical assets, including the textures. While the game is most certainly graphically underwhelming for Wii U standards, the textures are clearly sharpened to be noticeably higher quality than the 3DS version. Despite underneath those textures not really being any different.

Same for the PS3 port of P3rd bringing out the quality in the PSP version's textures (despite the two versions using identical texture assets). The PSP version that had muddy and jagged looking textures sharpened up the textures to such an extent that they looked even better than the Wii version's textures.

low resolution arguments can't mask an obviously low poly model, and a straight edged rock is less complex than a curved one.

I never said that resolution affects geometry. I said resolution affects texture detail. And I even pointed out several places where the 3DS version uses slightly lower amounts of geometry.

Nnamz's rock I can now see where he's coming from. I assume he means the left side which has a couple more angles on the Wii version as opposed to being a simple and strait slope. So @Nnamz- my bad, I can now see clearly what you're referring to.

Different camera angles can indeed mask polygon counts. In Snake Eater 3D for example, character models looks pretty much identical to their PS2 counterpart much of the time. Head on or even slightly tilted, Snake's model doesn't appear downgraded. But when viewed from the side you can spot a place where his arm is far lower polygon than it seemed from another angle-
http://imageshack.us/a/img843/2894/compare15.png

Difference between Snake Eater and Tri G however is that while MGS3 has pretty much consistent downgrades across the board in almost every aspect (with almost nothing of an improvement), Tri has very noticeable and awesome improvements to offset the slight differences in polygons i myself have noticed. Obviously that it runs at twice the framerate even in 3D, you can add anti aliasing if you opt to play in 2D, the character shadows are objectively infinitely superior to Wii's blob shadows, characters and monsters have soft shadows, etc. So given all the improvements, it still "looks much better" to me and feels like more of a definite upgrade than anything.
---
-Granville
#100blazeUP12Posted 4/10/2013 12:53:09 PM
grans posted...
Nnamz's rock I can now see where he's coming from. I assume he means the left side which has a couple more angles on the Wii version as opposed to being a simple and strait slope. So @Nnamz- my bad, I can now see clearly what you're referring to.

Different camera angles can indeed mask polygon counts. In Snake Eater 3D for example, character models looks pretty much identical to their PS2 counterpart much of the time. Head on or even slightly tilted, Snake's model doesn't appear downgraded. But when viewed from the side you can spot a place where his arm is far lower polygon than it seemed from another angle-
http://imageshack.us/a/img843/2894/compare15.png

Good, you understand the rock comparison.

Now back to the cactus:
http://i.imgur.com/uNnQ2Ej.jpg

Ain't no way in hell this is just a difference in camera angle - they're entirely different cactus patches. Just like how the Wii rock is entirely different than the 3DS rock (not just a "couple more angles" either).

Do you see this now too?
---