Will this handheld gen be the last gen in which they sell retail copies?

#1levyjl1988Posted 4/8/2013 5:24:09 AM
We're seeing a bigger incline towards digital sales for games.
Physical copies of games cost publishers in terms of printing the manual, box art, plastic for the case, shrink wrap, cart, operating costs. Where as digital there isn't much losses.

Physical copies have taken an incline to being inferior to what it was.
Manuals that were booklets are now 2 page papers, cases are Eco cases with holes, plastic case is flimsy, etc. the degration of materials for games and the opportunity to lower cost of production of physical games seem to promote digital copies.

With digital you don't have to juggle many carts with you. Everything is a button press away from switching games.

Anyway do you think the 3DS is the last handheld gen to sell physical boxed copies of games? It seems that stores like GameStop is now turning their business towards selling downloadable codes for games. Much like they sell Microsoft points cards, PSN codes, eShop codes, iTunes cards, etc.

So in the future do you see yourself walking into GameStop to buy a code for a game for $45-50 and going home to download said game ?
---
Check out Canada's only Comics and Gaming Magazine!
http://www.cgmagazine.ca/
#2SIurmsMcKenziePosted 4/8/2013 5:33:44 AM
Possibly, but I doubt you would have to go to GameStop to get a code.
---
The official party worm!
#3Round_DicePosted 4/8/2013 5:34:53 AM
If we go full digital there won't be a Gamestop.
#490sRetroGamingPosted 4/8/2013 5:43:53 AM
Let's hope not. i'm not down with the full MSRP prices for vaporware that are locked to specific consoles and not actual user accounts

*Cringe*
---
"OldSchoolGaming4Life" on YT & CAG/"90sRetroGaming" on mariokartwii.com
#5temgunPosted 4/8/2013 5:44:56 AM
Will be the last handheld gen for me. Yay, money saved.
---
In a search of a cunning signature.
#6IHeartMetroidPosted 4/8/2013 5:44:59 AM
If they do that I won't be purchasing whatever handheld system is unlucky enough to have that curse.
I have all my games with me and never have to "juggle" anything. I remember when a single GB cart was as big as four DS games. Carrying fifteen of those? Now that's juggling.
---
Currently ignoring 5 users.
If I haven't responded to a post directly addressed to me, that's probably why.
#7crispyoPosted 4/8/2013 6:04:47 AM
Most definitely. I wouldnt even be surprised if next gen consoles will be some sort of tablet device for both handheld and console games.
---
3DS FC: 4253-3731-6211
#8Big_IsaacPosted 4/8/2013 6:21:45 AM
did they stop selling physical CDs in stores because of iTunes?
---
Waiting for golden Sun 3DS
2 things are infinite: The Universe and human stupidity. I'm not sure about the Universe, though -Albert Einstein
#9Bikes-Posted 4/8/2013 6:24:45 AM
It's more likely to go the route PC gaming went, you can still buy physical media but it will get bound to a account.
#10esoteric42Posted 4/8/2013 6:33:57 AM
Big_Isaac posted...
did they stop selling physical CDs in stores because of iTunes?

Yes.

There are plenty of albums that are digital only.

There are plenty of stores that have gone bankrupt and closed that used to market CDs.

Digital. It's the future.

It's not illegal to sell CDs in stores, but it's no where near as common.

Excuse me while I put new batteries in my Sony CD Walkman.
---
US 3DS Friend Code: 4511-0481-8141 (Bryan)