Why is the eShop so "new"?

#1InfernoTurtlePosted 4/8/2013 5:29:48 PM
I was wondering if there was a reason the 3DS eShop doesn't have all the games on the Wii's Virtual console? I'm a new 3DS owner, and there's actually a lot of great games I'd love to pick up, but the 3DS doesn't even have SNES games. Are SNES games something that SHOULD come later, or do you guys think Nintendo will just call it quits with the current system offerings? I can understand not having N64 games, but I think not having SNES is kind of strange.
---
Currently playing: Fire Emblem: Awakening
#2GloryChaosPosted 4/8/2013 5:33:47 PM
The eshops and the virtual consoles aren't unified. The 3ds is supposed to have it's own selection of virtual console games.
---
Brawl FC - 1332 8069 6690
http://i.imgur.com/OZ9aS.png
#3Buttery_ToastPosted 4/8/2013 7:29:53 PM
The argument used to be that the 3DS virtual console would only consist of handheld games. Of course, they kind of broke that trend with the NES games. But who knows? I don't really care about SNES games. Gimme GBA games.
---
My body is always Reggie.
http://backloggery.com/dethbryte
#4ORANGE666Posted 4/8/2013 7:41:06 PM
Nintendo has to re-lisense each individual game to make available on the eshop which takes a long time to do
#5VictorReviewsPosted 4/8/2013 7:44:26 PM
Actually, 3DS SHOULD have N64 too, consiering how PSP had PSOne
#6AkaneJonesPosted 4/8/2013 10:19:30 PM
VictorReviews posted...
Actually, 3DS SHOULD have N64 too, consiering how PSP had PSOne

Just wait till PS4 is released and none of those PSN releases work with it, if reports are to believed.
#7n00bsaib0tPosted 4/8/2013 10:36:23 PM
Nintendo packages the rom with the emulator to ensure compatibility. The emulator for Super Mario Land 2 might have slight tweaks compared to the one used for Mega Man: Dr Wily's Revenge. The emulators are also hardware specific, designed optimally for Wii or 3DS.

Sony packages the emulator with the console's firmware and only sells you a rom.

Nintendo could rework licenses, unify the shops and sell the game in a manner like PS3 and Vita DLC where one purchase gets you rights to two downloads, but they won't because Nintendo.
---
PSN/XBL- Nifterific
SSF4AE: Balrog, Evil Ryu | UMvC3: C.Viper/Morrigan/Hulk | MK9: Noob Saibot, Cyber Sub-Zero | SFxTK: Ryu/Guile
#8MBJreincarnatedPosted 4/9/2013 1:19:25 AM
n00bsaib0t posted...
Nintendo packages the rom with the emulator to ensure compatibility. The emulator for Super Mario Land 2 might have slight tweaks compared to the one used for Mega Man: Dr Wily's Revenge. The emulators are also hardware specific, designed optimally for Wii or 3DS.

Sony packages the emulator with the console's firmware and only sells you a rom.

Nintendo could rework licenses, unify the shops and sell the game in a manner like PS3 and Vita DLC where one purchase gets you rights to two downloads, but they won't because Nintendon't.

fixed
---
"Gold, silver, and rubies are nice, but we treasure far above those; knowledge, wisdom, and understanding"