Why does Nintendo insist on the Japanese button layout?

#1Atreju_Posted 4/9/2013 11:04:17 AM
I find myself pressing the wrong buttons for a while each time I transition from the X360.

Why are A/B and X/Y in the wrong places? The bottom button is always used as the main selection button on both the X360 and PS3, and the button to the right as the back button. Same for X and Y, wrong places.

I think this should be fixed for the West.
#2DeathSoul2000Posted 4/9/2013 11:05:29 AM
[This message was deleted at the request of a moderator or administrator]
#3MDS2005Posted 4/9/2013 11:05:49 AM
...Because they're not in the wrong positions? <_<
---
When I see human babies, I want to ragequit life.
You lack in the common English is an outrage.
#4yankee6903Posted 4/9/2013 11:10:30 AM
haha I have this issue as well of swapping consoles. They should do what El Vita does and allow the mapping of buttons. I know this works on PS1 and PSP DL games.
---
PSN: nightshade6903 GT:nightshade6903
I am not a Republican or a Democrat, I am a conservative
#5SlimeStackPosted 4/9/2013 11:11:55 AM
I always preferred confirm being the button on the right tbh.
---
Moo
#6BlackPhoenix127Posted 4/9/2013 11:12:44 AM
Yeah, because we all know that if it's different it's wrong. And let's not forget that Sony and MS started it off like that so therefore it MUST be that way. I remember those days in the 16 bit generation, playing on the first controllers with four face buttons. Sony and MS were doing it right like TC said back then, but that damned Nintendo has to do everything wrong!
---
PSN: Azure-Edge
#7its_mattPosted 4/9/2013 11:14:00 AM
Why would Microsoft and Sony get to dictate the way when Nintendo have been making video game devices for longer?
#8Fr33zPosted 4/9/2013 11:20:39 AM
Yes because having the same exact format since the NES days makes it wrong. The only reason its different on the Xbox is so they didnt get into legal battles over copyright jargon and they've stuck with the reverse layout since. So really if anything the Xbox has the wrong control layout.
---
NNID: Illuminatis
Current Systems: PSP, PS3, Wii, WiiU, DS, 3DS
#9EngineR2Posted 4/9/2013 11:52:15 AM
Atreju_ posted...
The bottom button is always used as the main selection button on... PS3...

Actually, it's not always. PlayStation games in Japan usually have the "O" button to confirm a selection, and "X" to back out. This is because 'O' usually means 'correct', while 'X' means 'wrong'. People outside of Japan, however, do not usually pay attention to this, and prefer the button most comfortable to press.

You might already know this, though.
---
Not changing sig until Toad, Jill and Drill Dozer are playable characters in the new Smash Bros.
#10Ikilluha1Posted 4/9/2013 11:57:02 AM
BlackPhoenix127 posted...
Yeah, because we all know that if it's different it's wrong. And let's not forget that Sony and MS started it off like that so therefore it MUST be that way. I remember those days in the 16 bit generation, playing on the first controllers with four face buttons. Sony and MS were doing it right like TC said back then, but that damned Nintendo has to do everything wrong!

Actually Sony in Japan had the cirlcle button as confirm, just in the U.S they had it as X.
---
The official Mara of the Shin Megami Tensei IV board