Fire Emblem or Final Fantasy Tactics?

#1darkus_fPosted 4/9/2013 3:51:31 PM
Which do you prefer? - Results (112 votes)
Tactics Advance FTW!
22.32% (25 votes)
Fire Emblem FTW!
77.68% (87 votes)
This poll is now closed.
Although I love Fire Emblem and plan to buy Awakening (Europe and stone age region lock), I prefer Tactics and I really hope that we get a Tactics Advance 3DS.
---
3DS FC: 0447-5073-6549 PSN: darkus_f
PWB F5: Punk, Dolph, Cesaro, Reigns, Mark
#2BluesMX90Posted 4/9/2013 3:54:44 PM(edited)
Fire Emblem. I tried FF Tactics on the DS and didn't really like it that much.
---
The Official SeeD Member of whatever FF Board
As long as you don't get your hopes up, you can take anything... You feel less pain. ~ Squall
#3emagdnEPosted 4/9/2013 4:03:38 PM
FFT is just typical FF ****iness on a grid, and a more pretentious plot in the case of the original

Fire Emblem, was, until 2004, one of our greatest video game franchises

yeah, it isn't even ****ing close
---
I've never seen anything this beautiful in the entire galaxy... All right, give me the bomb. -Ultra Magnus
#4HaloOfTheSun442Posted 4/9/2013 4:16:55 PM
First Final Fantasy Tactics was really good, and the one on DS was okay. GBA version sucked.

Conversely, all Fire Emblem games released in North America have been incredibly good (except for Shadow Dragon on DS, which was really boring).
#5KittyPuppyPosted 4/9/2013 4:19:09 PM
Nice fakeout there. The topic says Final Fantasy Tactics but the poll says Tactics Advance. I'd take original FFT or a good Tactics Ogre over anything but i do think Fire Emblem is at least better than Tactics Advance, at least a little.
#6ultradavedPosted 4/9/2013 5:20:57 PM
I was wondering if they would include "Advance" in the title again. It was already a misnomer with the DS installment, but then again so is "Advance Wars."

The TA series implies the kiddie graphics, world/races, and "let's go on an adventure" theme of both games, so I guess it's its own brand separate from the more "adult" art style and tone of the original, but it's weird to reference a system from two generations ago.

I liked all three FFT games but they were all very easy, especially the TA entries. Fire Emblem games tend to be much harder and require you to think through your strategy more, and IMO that makes them better.

Personally, I like Disgaea (only played the first one) better than both of them. Goofy story and characters, but the abilities of the game feel much more strategic. The units can toss each other around, there are some very unusual AOE patterns, and many moves have strange effects as to where they leave the attacking unit and/or the target after the command is executed. Really opens up the possibilities.

Still, Disgaea (and all Nippon-ichi SRPGs) generally require a &$%#ton of grinding, where FE games have limited battles so you have to choose carefully where your XP goes and you can't power-level every unit into a god. In FFT you can grind, too, but it generally isn't necessary. Which of those mechanics you prefer will probably have a lot to do with which series you prefer.
#7JP_SartrePosted 4/9/2013 5:36:42 PM
Forget about all others and buy Panzer Tactics on the DS. If you can find it at GS, it's about seven bucks. If you want TACTICS, best you're going to get.
---
"The Virtual Boy didn't fail. We failed the Virtual Boy"
-fallenKlNG
#8SW_FFXIfanPosted 4/9/2013 7:39:57 PM
emagdnE posted...
FFT is just typical FF ****iness on a grid, and a more pretentious plot in the case of the original

Fire Emblem, was, until 2004, one of our greatest video game franchises

yeah, it isn't even ****ing close

Cause a plot that fits into a pop-up is soooo much better.

Kids these days.
---
LoL IGN: Butch Magnus
#9confettistormPosted 4/9/2013 8:09:35 PM(edited)
Final Fantasy Tactics is one of the best SPRGs. Please don't even mention the perversions that are the Advanced sequels... They make me want to gag.
#10N__1Posted 4/9/2013 8:25:39 PM(edited)
After all the red cards I get from the judge, I give up on the game. Law system in the game is bulls***. So FE babe!
---