3DS System Format Question

#1zelda_king3Posted 4/9/2013 6:38:19 PM
Well, I just got a used 3DS from Amazon after my old one died and I never owned any digital games from the Eshop on my old 3DS until now. My recently purchased used 3DS comes with Mario Kart 7 pre-installed and the previous owner of this used 3DS has downloaded copies of Super Mario Land 3D and OOT3D.

Now, this used 3DS has Miis and settings changed to the previous owners preferences and I wish to format it to start a new by getting rid of his friend codes and other settings.

Now, I'm wondering if I do a system format on the console, would it prevent me from re-downloading the Eshop games that were previously installed on the console prior to formatting?
---
PSN: US: Spud_Commando | JP: zeldaking3
3DS FC: 4055 - 3299 - 4026
#290sRetroGamingPosted 4/9/2013 6:43:38 PM
zelda_king3 posted...
Well, I just got a used 3DS from Amazon after my old one died and I never owned any digital games from the Eshop on my old 3DS until now. My recently purchased used 3DS comes with Mario Kart 7 pre-installed and the previous owner of this used 3DS has downloaded copies of Super Mario Land 3D and OOT3D.

Now, this used 3DS has Miis and settings changed to the previous owners preferences and I wish to format it to start a new by getting rid of his friend codes and other settings.

Now, I'm wondering if I do a system format on the console, would it prevent me from re-downloading the Eshop games that were previously installed on the console prior to formatting?

O_O

How much did you pay for this 3DS???. sounds like you got an absolute steal! :D.
---
"OldSchoolGaming4Life" on YT & CAG/"90sRetroGaming" on mariokartwii.com
#3zelda_king3(Topic Creator)Posted 4/9/2013 6:47:24 PM
90sRetroGaming posted...
O_O

How much did you pay for this 3DS???. sounds like you got an absolute steal! :D.

I paid $220 for my 3DS including shipping.
It's an XL model, by the way. So yeah, I did get a good deal.
---
#4EngineR2Posted 4/9/2013 6:47:47 PM
I wouldn't reformat. All you have to do, is re-edit the console's main Mii, erase the other Miis, and other things in the StreetPass plaza. I'm sure you can delete the friend codes, too. If you format, you might not be able to download these games again. And we're talking about $120 worth of content for the 3DS games, alone.
---
Not changing sig until Toad, Jill and Drill Dozer are playable characters in the new Smash Bros.
#5zelda_king3(Topic Creator)Posted 4/9/2013 6:50:06 PM
EngineR2 posted...
I wouldn't reformat. All you have to do, is re-edit the console's main Mii, erase the other Miis, and other things in the StreetPass plaza. I'm sure you can delete the friend codes, too. If you format, you might not be able to download these games again. And we're talking about $120 worth of content for the 3DS games, alone.

But my OCD is going haywire thanks to all these settings and Mii's. It feels like I don't even own the handheld, but I stole someone else's handheld in retrospect.

I'd rather just system format and get things over with, but I don't also want a possibility to lose the games.
---
#6spealfan444Posted 4/9/2013 6:55:42 PM(edited)
If you format it, the. eShop account will remain intact, you would have to delete the shop account separately, the games will be deleted, but you can redownload them right afterwards.
At least that's how it worked on the Wii.
---
These boards are a creature of Chaos, they may take many incarnations.
#7zelda_king3(Topic Creator)Posted 4/9/2013 7:00:13 PM
spealfan444 posted...
If you format it, the. eShop account will remain intact, you would have to delete the shop account separately, the games will be deleted, but you can redownload them right afterwards.

Just saw this information on the official Nintendo website, it seems that I can keep the games on my new 3DS if I format.

Thanks for the help!
---
#8EngineR2Posted 4/9/2013 7:03:05 PM(edited)
Ignore this post, just saw the one above. I hope everything works like it should.
---
Not changing sig until Toad, Jill and Drill Dozer are playable characters in the new Smash Bros.
#9TaplampPosted 4/9/2013 7:03:08 PM
spealfan444 posted...

So essentially the downloads are tied to the HARDWARE itself, yes?
#10EngineR2Posted 4/9/2013 7:07:40 PM(edited)
That's the problem many, if not all of Nintendo's customers have. I'm sure you've seen the many topics about 'No account system!', and all.

*EDIT*
Are you absolutely sure that you wont lose the downloads after formatting? Something about this just doesn't sound right. Can you provide the link to the site that talks about reformatting?
---