Why does the 3DS *still* lack dedicated Facebook and Twitter apps?

#111TehTrumpCardPosted 4/10/2013 11:31:45 PM
Because I don't use them.

At least if I text someone I'm guaranteed a response. Also I don't care what Gary, Mary, and Sue are doing especially when they just spam photos of themselves in the mirror.
---
I love Nowi!!! http://tinyurl.com/trump-nowi http://tinyurl.com/durrhubba
3DSXL FC: 4640-0379-8455 PSN (PS3+Vita): TehTrumpCard
#112xIvan321Posted 4/11/2013 12:22:58 AM
Taplamp posted...
Vyers posted...
Taplamp posted...
Vyers posted...
Evolution, man. We will grow to adapt to these depressions, we will learn to deal with it better. Progress in communication and information will always result in this. The telephone did. The Internet did. Cell phones did.

Sure we'll adapt. We'll adapt into an apathetic culture that sits 5 people in the same room, nobody can lift their heads from their communicative device to say hello or make any real human contact.

Yes we'll adapt. But is it worth that?

Btw, the 5 people in a room with their heads down thing already happens. I'm disgusted when I go in public and no one acknowledges anyone within 5 feet of them because they're so absorbed.

As a matter of simple fact, your dislike of this change is 100% personal. You don't like it because it's different. We as a species have been making the EXACT same adaptation for our entire history of growth.

Also, choose:

People ignoring you

Significantly worse health conditions, much worse racism, greater poverty, lower life expectancy, less equality, less rights, etc.

Social media accelerates human growth and communication. It's the first time that we have truly achieved a global society. You didn't grow up with it, and therefore, it's a bad thing. You grew up with the Internet, telephones, television, video games, etc., and therefore, they're good things.

How does all humanity joining together as one correct society and culture equal a good thing? Sounds kinda like utopia to me, (blech). Diversity is the beauty of human culture, not unity.

If you cherish equality, rights and the likes of those, you should perhaps take a Voltaire stance with my opinion and say to yourself that though you disagree with me, you'll defend to your death my right to say it.

But of course, you'd rather challenge me and say that I'm the one against equality and all these human rights because I'm the one who is different. I'm the one saying, I don't like social media and here is why. You want equality, treat me as such, you want rights? Respect mine.

Oh and btw, my dislike of this change is 100% personal? It's true! I don't like it because it's different? What am I, some old crotchety naysayer of what is modern? No way! I welcome changes that improve life. Fact is, all the negatives I listed of Social media were true. I did not smear social media with something that it isn't. I merely listed facts that I find frightening. And I did say at the beginning of my rant that it has it's benefits but those benefits aren't what I wanted to talk about. But you disregarded that because you wanted to defend something, equality and rights my foot.

Good for technology advancing our human civilization faster. But giving social media most of the credit for things like improving health conditions, racial relations, countering poverty, heightening life expectancy, more equality, more rights, etc.? Bull#$%^.

Well put Taplamp. I strongly agree with all your posts about social media especially the paragraph I bolded in. The thing I hate about this topic is that some people automatically assume that those people who do not want a Facebook or Twitter on their 3DS totally against the idea and will destroy anyone's 3DS if they have it downloaded. As I already said earlier, I am too one of those people who just don't like those sites at all for many personal reasons. If someone wanted to develop an app like that for the Nintendo 3DS so be it, I just wont download it and I'm sure that's how people who are not into the idea feel like.
---
3DS FC:4425-1580-1611. MPH expert of the Kid Icarus Uprising boards
3DS chat: http://xat.com/mph93 SKYPE: xIvan321_
#113xIvan321Posted 4/11/2013 1:06:42 AM
Shadowstar108 posted...
iMURDAu posted...
Sorry ORANGE666 that can still happen. Facebook is accessible from the browser.

While there is a debate on here about social media I'd like to relay a story from work that happened last year.

New girl starts, she's in high school. Another kid who goes to a different high school says "Oh I know you. Your name is (redacted), you go to (blank) High, your mom works at (blank), your best friend is (so and so), you went to a party last night and got wasted". She had a totally shocked look on her face and gasped. Then she said "how do--". He smiles and interrupts by saying "Facebook".

QFT. I've also seen friendships and relationships fail because of Facebook and social media. Having the ability to post your life on the internet isn't always a good thing. I'm actually thinking of deleting my FB account now because of this topic. I rarely post any updates, and my mom keeps stalking my page and calls me out on stuff. It's also littered with pictures of me and my Ex together... I don't need that anymore.

You should delete it since its nothing but a open tab or refrigerator you keep checking often. I deleted mine because it was ruining my relationship with my girlfriend. Not that I'm doing anything wrong, but it drags a lot of unnecessary conflict like past relationships and other girls tried flirting with me on Facebook. (She really didn't like that) I hardly even use my Facebook since my girlfriend, but when I did I'll admit that I only used it to try to get attention from people I barely even know because I depressed, lonely and wanted friends that weren't some immature douchebags from my High School. I was trying to reinvent myself and move on. The attention filled the void sometimes but it never shook depression out of my shoulders which is why I said in an earlier post that in my opinion at least, there is nothing like talking to someone in person rather than being miles away from that person. This mostly applies to people you trust and care for you back.

TL;DR: My life has improved without Facebook. Facebook and the people who are still on it can move on without me. :)
---
3DS FC:4425-1580-1611. MPH expert of the Kid Icarus Uprising boards
3DS chat: http://xat.com/mph93 SKYPE: xIvan321_
#114VyersPosted 4/11/2013 1:20:53 AM
Taplamp posted...
Vyers posted...
Again, Twitter was one of the primary methods by which people were able to communicate immediately to the outside world that they were under an oppressive regime. It was instrumental in removing a leader who has been accused of violating human rights.

You seriously think the con of "people use their phone while they talk to me" cancels out one of the primary methods a human rights movement had available?

Facebook also allows for people to retain significant relationships that they've had, both platonic and non-.

Like the world didn't know about Muammar Ghadafi's oppressive regime before Twitter.

Just because Twitter was the fastest means of the regular public hearing that "Muammar Ghadafi's committing genocide again!" doesn't mean Twitter should get all the credit. All governments have eyes on each other. We're not blind to what's happening in other countries just because they don't have twitter. Go ahead and believe what Twitter tells people it's good for, that's called publicity.

And also, your quote about Facebook allowing people to retain significant relationships that they've had, both platonic and non REALLY makes me question how many years of your life you've lived. You can't be old enough to understand the fact that almost all friends come and go. It's apart of growing up. Believe me you don't want to retain every relationship you've made since you first logged into Facebook.

And lie about your age all you want, everything you say now is moot to me.

Well, here's an idea

YOU explain to me the method by which Egyptians were able to actively protest their government's oppression before social media.

Oh, wait, you can't. Because that's a theoretical concept. Egyptians who protest were raped and murdered by its police force and supporters of the government in power in order to prevent them from doing so. There's a big difference between seeing a headline about Gaddafi and seeing the Egyptian population making it by far the highest-trending topic on Twitter. When it's a headline, you hear it from the media. When it's a Tweet, you are hearing it from average people. Compare it to a negative story about a bank; a story that says "a bank did something bad" is much less significant than "a bank did something bad; here's a testimonial of someone affected by them."

And it's amazing to me that you have so much dislike for an idea - an idea of cultures sharing and mixing - that basically is what defines OUR culture. It just seems like you prefer people only hanging with their own people, you know what I mean?

And I hope that you will stay true to your hatred of multi-culturalism and get off the Internet, since even without social media, the Internet is a breeding ground of it.
---
http://www.youtube.com/user/ThankTheBear Subscribe for LPs of Pokemon Snap, The Legend of Zelda, Dragon Warrior, Super Mario Bros. 3, Bionicle, and more~!
#115VyersPosted 4/11/2013 1:34:43 AM
Also, let's look at anti-social people who, without social media, would have a much harder time communicating with people. It's easy to say how inconvenient social media is for you, but hard to acknowledge how difficult it is for people to not have something like it.
---
http://www.youtube.com/user/ThankTheBear Subscribe for LPs of Pokemon Snap, The Legend of Zelda, Dragon Warrior, Super Mario Bros. 3, Bionicle, and more~!
#116Paddle008Posted 4/11/2013 3:05:37 AM
Just use the browser for Twitter, it is one of the few sites that loads quickly on the 3DS Browser, and the 3DS is one of the few devices the mobile Twitter site is actually good on.
#117iMURDAuPosted 4/11/2013 5:17:45 AM
RPGNinja I've been online for 21 years. FTW has been used as F the World in many instances of pop culture. Songs, movies, television.

http://netforbeginners.about.com/od/f/f/What-Is-FTW-for-the-Win.htm

QFT was used back in the day as I had stated earlier but like most things became sanitized because being harsh is bad m'kay.

Check your dictionary in its urban form. I'm also willing to bet you're not older than me if you've never heard either of those acronyms used those ways.
---
Why Fire Emblem: Awakening is just wrong - http://i6.minus.com/isAPJZatCvECp.jpg
#118LORD_LMAOPosted 4/11/2013 10:27:33 AM
RPGNinja123 posted...
iMURDAu posted...
Generation gap. For me QFT means quit f'n talking. And FTW means F the world.

Im probably older than you and I never seen those abbreviations used for that

these are the emo hipster versions
---
"garfield64 has long beautiful hair that any sane woman would kill to have"
#119TaplampPosted 4/11/2013 2:52:23 PM
Vyers posted...
Taplamp posted...
Vyers posted...
Again, Twitter was one of the primary methods by which people were able to communicate immediately to the outside world that they were under an oppressive regime. It was instrumental in removing a leader who has been accused of violating human rights.

You seriously think the con of "people use their phone while they talk to me" cancels out one of the primary methods a human rights movement had available?

Facebook also allows for people to retain significant relationships that they've had, both platonic and non-.

Like the world didn't know about Muammar Ghadafi's oppressive regime before Twitter.

Just because Twitter was the fastest means of the regular public hearing that "Muammar Ghadafi's committing genocide again!" doesn't mean Twitter should get all the credit. All governments have eyes on each other. We're not blind to what's happening in other countries just because they don't have twitter. Go ahead and believe what Twitter tells people it's good for, that's called publicity.

And also, your quote about Facebook allowing people to retain significant relationships that they've had, both platonic and non REALLY makes me question how many years of your life you've lived. You can't be old enough to understand the fact that almost all friends come and go. It's apart of growing up. Believe me you don't want to retain every relationship you've made since you first logged into Facebook.

And lie about your age all you want, everything you say now is moot to me.

Well, here's an idea

YOU explain to me the method by which Egyptians were able to actively protest their government's oppression before social media.

Oh, wait, you can't. Because that's a theoretical concept. Egyptians who protest were raped and murdered by its police force and supporters of the government in power in order to prevent them from doing so. There's a big difference between seeing a headline about Gaddafi and seeing the Egyptian population making it by far the highest-trending topic on Twitter. When it's a headline, you hear it from the media. When it's a Tweet, you are hearing it from average people. Compare it to a negative story about a bank; a story that says "a bank did something bad" is much less significant than "a bank did something bad; here's a testimonial of someone affected by them."

And it's amazing to me that you have so much dislike for an idea - an idea of cultures sharing and mixing - that basically is what defines OUR culture. It just seems like you prefer people only hanging with their own people, you know what I mean?

And I hope that you will stay true to your hatred of multi-culturalism and get off the Internet, since even without social media, the Internet is a breeding ground of it.

Oh look now I'm a multicultural hating racist.

You're so right, Egyptians were NEVER EVER able to speak to the outside world before Twitter. I didn't even know that Egypt was a country before Twitter. Oh my goodness. All those people who had their human rights ripped from them with violence were completely unheard before Twitter!

I'm different from you. Offended? My apologies.
#120VyersPosted 4/11/2013 3:19:28 PM
Ironically, your sarcasm is extremely close to the truth.

So you wish to stand by your statement that citizens of a country where people can be killed for protesting had just as much ability to get their message out before anything existed that would allow them to do that.

You really are pretty ridiculous if you stand by an argument that a controlled media climate produces the same, or as accurate of information, as people who are being raped, murdered, and arrested for protesting.
---