Why do people complain so much about Nintendo's region lock?

#101zinformantPosted 4/11/2013 8:39:17 AM
Mr_Fury32 posted...
games (and consoles) are majorly marked up in cost over here in the U.K. i don't understand exactly why but they are, so when im in Europe and i see some thing cheaper i will buy it.

games work out about 10 cheaper from Europe... the U.K. is greedy for tax...

Is it because it's expensive to get things shipped to islands?
---
Go to Gamestop, buy a Steam card, and use it to purchase Ys Origin. You won't be disappointed.
For more info: http://www.worldofys.com/yso/
#102ItsTheSasquatchPosted 4/11/2013 11:43:28 AM
zinformant posted...
Is it because it's expensive to get things shipped to islands?

That would justify a very small increase, but not ~$15 (it's been a while since I've checked the exchange rates, but that's what it worked out to back when I bought the Minecraft alpha). Price gouging to that degree generally indicates some kind of corruption; either a monopoly has been established over distribution in the area, or as suggested, the government is taxing people to an abusive degree.

Either way, what it boils down to is they're doing it because they can, and importing from a different region would be a great way to show them you're unhappy with that--hence why they region lock, and why region locking is bad.
---
*disappears into forest*
#103n00bsaib0tPosted 4/11/2013 11:52:33 AM
Can we stop with the conspiracy theories please? Region locking exists because games are licensed by region, not so they can make you pay 40 GBP instead of 40 USD. That's all there is to it. That text that pops up at the beginning of some games means you're breaking licensing laws by owning it outside of the country it was licensed for. This mostly applied to games with licensed characters or music, like P4A on PS3 being region locked. Arcsys had the license to make the game, those are someone else's characters not their own. It was these same licensing issues that caused Europe to get the game way late.

It sucks that some of you get price gouged, making twice what we make by getting paid in pounds doesn't mean you should pay double, but region lock isn't a conspiracy.
---
PSN/XBL- Nifterific
SSF4AE: Balrog, Evil Ryu | UMvC3: C.Viper/Morrigan/Hulk | MK9: Noob Saibot, Cyber Sub-Zero | SFxTK: Ryu/Guile
#104hypermoePosted 4/11/2013 11:56:03 AM
Do i know Japanese? Yes, as with various other languages. Why dont know i own a Japanese 3ds, because its more expensive to buy in stores. i believe Japanese 3ds here in Hawaii are about 300-500$ just for the system itself.

My reason for complaint is that i enjoy different region games. There was no need for them to do this especially when all their other handheld system didnt have region locking, so why start now? I mean more than anything i can probably say i had more imported titles for my DS than US released games. Then lies another problem. With having region locking not only do i have to buy another system with DLC, downloadable only titles means i need to now find places that hold Japanese E-shop cards which is next to impossible in stores. Even my imports store dont carry, or have a limited stock of it.
Also since most imported game especially anime based game barely get localized, unless they have the names Naruto/Bleach/DBZ, it isnt going to come here. And i will flip if the Next Jump X-Star comes out because for a ds game i have to say that was one of my top fav games for the ds. with region locking this means i have to buy a whole another system, just to play that one game. its just not worth it.
---
I walk alone in the universe as the last of The Time Lords!
#105Second_ChancesPosted 4/11/2013 12:02:38 PM
Because I want to play what I can in English, and what I can't in what I can play it in.

That's why I have both a US and JP 3DS, and plan to pick up an EU one, but I'd much much rather not have to do this.
#106ItsTheSasquatchPosted 4/11/2013 12:12:40 PM(edited)
n00bsaib0t posted...
Can we stop with the conspiracy theories please?

Rich people always want to get richer, and usually do so by ****ing over the lower classes. That's not a conspiracy theory--it's life. Burying your head in the sand and pretending it's not true only makes it harder for the rest of us to fight them.

Second_Chances posted...
That's why I have both a US and JP 3DS, and plan to pick up an EU one, but I'd much much rather not have to do this.

...You realize that by doing so you're rewarding them for region locking, right?
---
*disappears into forest*
#107FredSavage27Posted 4/11/2013 2:00:54 PM
I can't read a word of Japanese, but I was still able to enjoy Kurukuru Kururin and Osu! Tatakae! Ouendan because those systems weren't region-locked. I'm not going to buy another, more expensive 3DS just for one or two games.
---
DISCLOSURE: My real name is not Fred Savage, nor do I remember why I call myself that.