achievements and dlc suck

#1teh1337gosuPosted 4/13/2013 1:51:27 PM
OK not always, but mostly.

Last generation, games had in game unlockable content for doing extra stuff. Now games don't have extra stuff, but you have to do the same stuff over and over for a score/trophies. They do nothing by the way.

Also developers don't have in game goodies like extra characters and levels due to dlc boo.
---
Yvan eht nioj
#290sRetroGamingPosted 4/13/2013 1:54:37 PM
I don't like paid DLC.
---
"OldSchoolGaming4Life" on YT & CAG/"90sRetroGaming" on mariokartwii.com
#3furygodsPosted 4/13/2013 2:02:40 PM
I am not against dlc that actually is entirely made outside of the original development cycle, after all, the economy is bad, the $60/$40 will always be not enough.

Really want extra characters in a fighting game that was released 6 months ago? DLC is the answer.
Really want extra story for a rpg that was released 1.5 years ago? DLC is the answer.
Rough timing in order to meet your tight schedule for Christmas release? DLC can remedy the unfinished parts or the parts that you would want it to be in but couldn't due to due deadlines.

DLC can be useful but then there's EA...

DLC that I don't support...

Day 1 DLC.
On Disc DLC.
DLC thats been made during the main game development cycle (means that it isn't main game content but DLC from the getgo.)
---
Playing someone who kills people in a video game = Murderer?
Playing a Loli in a video game = Pedo? I don't think so.
#4NarutoPosted 4/13/2013 2:04:35 PM
teh1337gosu posted...
Last generation, games had in game unlockable content for doing extra stuff. Now games don't have extra stuff, but you have to do the same stuff over and over for a score/trophies. They do nothing by the way.

Wait, I thought we already had achievements and DLC last-gen? Oh right, you mean Wii U is the same gen as 360 and PS3 so last-gen would be GC, Xbox and PS2.
#5SMASHKING84Posted 4/13/2013 2:08:53 PM
dlc is ok as long it's not too soon and they actually put effort into it.
but acheivemnts can burn in hell.
---
Jirachi is the best pokemon
http://tinyurl.com/d3d5aq9 thanks supershadow for this
#6OoSubaruoOPosted 4/13/2013 2:11:18 PM
Nintendo doesn't really release unfinished games. Their DLC is meant to be extra content, not withheld content.
#7TcidenebTPosted 4/13/2013 2:23:39 PM
why do people hate achievements?
#8robomasteralphaPosted 4/13/2013 2:28:58 PM
TcidenebT posted...

Because 99% of the time they're used solely for e-peen measurement?
---
Shop smart. Shop Mario Mart.
#9OoSubaruoOPosted 4/13/2013 2:31:14 PM
robomasteralpha posted...
TcidenebT posted...

Right, because it has nothing to do with the fact, that people actually enjoy getting them.
#10TinyTim123Posted 4/13/2013 2:57:04 PM
OoSubaruoO posted...
robomasteralpha posted...
TcidenebT posted...

Right, because it has nothing to do with the fact, that people actually enjoy getting them.

Let me present a scenario. I have Dynasty Warriors Next on the Vita. There are a set of trophies that can only be achieved playing via ad hoc local multiplayer. Those are the only trophies I can't unlock. So My game is sitting there incomplete (sure I beat the game multiple times, did everything I possibly could alone) and there is no practical way for me to achieve these trophies. So they just sit there, mocking me, because I haven't completed my game until I platinum it, and there is no way, outside of buying a second Vita and copy of the game, for me to achieve these.

That having been said, when Dead Rising first came out oh so long ago, I looked at the list of achievements and thought, "Some of those look really fun! I'm gonna try them!"
Basically, stupid multiplayer or grindy trophies ruin it for the fun trophies. If trophies are well thought, they aren't a pain, and I think fewer people were complain about them.
As many are implemented now, though, they aren't well thought out, they either reward stupid things (Start the game!) intolerably grindy things (punch the same wall 255 times for a year!) or multiplayer things.

Also the whole thing in games used to be "Beat the game with character X, you unlock character Y. Beat the Game with Character Y to unlock Character Z, then with Z to unlock Unlimited Rocket launcher!" Now... not so much. We'd get a new Street Fighter game and sit and play everyone over the space of several days just to unlock EVERYTHING. Now, meh. It's not as much fun to hear an annoying chime then it is to have unlocked Evil Ryu (for example).
---
http://www.explosm.net/comics/657/