How does Street Pass and Play Coins work?

#1firestorm9305Posted 4/14/2013 6:48:31 PM
So if I take my 3DS XL with me everywhere I go, I can get these? How do I get play coins? Does my 3DS have to be on to get coins and does it have to be on to get a street pass? I am new to all this, thanks.
---
E-A-G-L-E-S Eagles!
#2PenguPineapplePosted 4/14/2013 6:50:52 PM
If your 3DS is on, and you pass by another 3DS that is also on, you will streetpass them. Play coins accumulate when the 3DS is in sleep mode and you walk around with it in your bag/pocket/etc. You can only get 10 coins a day, and the maximum is 300.
---
3DS: skypengu / 1504 - 5707 - 8126
NNID: pengusaurusrex
#3EngineR2Posted 4/14/2013 6:58:16 PM(edited)
Let me add that the 10-coins-a-day limit can be broken. To do this, once you reach the 10 coin limit, just change the date of the 3DS in the system settings, and change it back to the current date. Of course, this comes with drawbacks, because time-sensitive apps will be off by a bit, such as the Activity Log.
---
Not changing sig until Toad, Jill and Drill Dozer are playable characters in the new Smash Bros.
#4MobileWarfarePosted 4/14/2013 7:27:12 PM
To clear things up a little, you need to have Wifi turned on(the yellow light should be on, switch is on the right side of the 3DS.) Also, it is worth noting that Play Coins are measured by the amount of steps you take with your 3DS; every 100 steps is a play coin.
---
"Common sense is not so common." - Voltaire
#5firestorm9305(Topic Creator)Posted 4/14/2013 8:34:08 PM
When I get a street pass how do I tell which game it is from or do anything with it?
---
E-A-G-L-E-S Eagles!
#6EngineR2Posted 4/14/2013 8:38:33 PM
Check the notices in the main menu. You should see a green dot flashing, which indicates that you have gotten a StreetPass. This same dot appears on 3DS app icons on the same menu, though this requires that you have StreetPass features enabled in the respective game.
---
Not changing sig until Toad, Jill and Drill Dozer are playable characters in the new Smash Bros.
#7NightRainPosted 4/14/2013 8:46:30 PM
On what can you spend those coins?
---
To be a sage means only to be rich in knowledge.
Canadiens/Red Sox/Patriots
#8ZeroBeats GhostPosted 4/14/2013 8:48:43 PM
NightRain posted...
On what can you spend those coins?

Off the top of my head:
- They're used to unlock certain features in SwapNote, such as being able to attach recordings to messages.
- In the Mii Plaza to unlock puzzle pieces or hire pre-made Mii's for the Find Mii minigame.
- Certain 3DS games use them
---
ZeroBeat
Do androids dream of electric boogaloo?
#9FinalFantasyForeverPosted 4/14/2013 8:49:38 PM
Some AR games use coins to "purchase" different features within those games.

In the Mii games, you can recruit characters for this so-called "RPG" built in to the app.
---
Game Grabs, Trailers, and Pickups!
http://www.youtube.com/storino03