Something that bugs me about NES emulation on the 3DS Virtual Console

#31n00bsaib0tPosted 4/19/2013 1:13:50 PM
EngineR2 posted...
I'm not sure how you got a version of Mega Man 3 without that line glitch, but on my legitimate copy of Rockman 3, and my copy of Mega Man 3, the glitch is there. I've always noticed it when I was playing many, many years ago. It's usually with emulated copies of the game, that you don't see the glitch. I know you can't access your games right now, but you can take out word for it, the line is there.

I believe you that it's there. But if you have emulated copies that don't have it are you talking about unmentionables or eshop stuff? If its an unmentionable that supports my theory of a rerelease. I just know I never saw that line until I played it on an emulator.
---
PSN/XBL- Nifterific
SSF4AE: Balrog, Evil Ryu | UMvC3: C.Viper/Morrigan/Hulk | MK9: Noob Saibot, Cyber Sub-Zero | SFxTK: Ryu/Guile
#32HaloOfTheSun442Posted 4/19/2013 1:29:26 PM
When I was a kid I had Mega Man 3 and it had that line glitch, but after losing my collection and then rebuying Mega Man 3 recently I noticed that this copy of the game does NOT have that line! There are two possibilities here:

1. There was a second run of MM3 that had the glitch fixed (likely since VC games tend to not have these glitches fixed and Nintendo will use the most up-to-date version of a game released).
2. I'm using a top loader NES, while I used the original NES when I was a kid. Possibly the differences between the two affect the glitch showing up as with other games with similar glitches.
#33EngineR2Posted 4/19/2013 1:39:57 PM(edited)
I'll say this, if you have seen this glitch on an emulator, it's a great one that's able to emulate even the smallest imperfections of the Famicom/NES. From what I've seen on the PSOne Complete Works, Anniversary Collection, Wii and 3DS VC, and unofficial emulation, that glitch is totally gone.

*EDIT*

Didn't see the post above mine. If what you two are saying is true, then I'm going to guess that it has something to do with the architecture of the Famicom/NES 1. However, I'm not entirely sure about that, because I have the newer Famicom with the audio/video port similar to the N64 and SNES, and it displays that same line.
---
Not changing sig until Toad, Jill and Drill Dozer are playable characters in the new Smash Bros.
#34EngineR2Posted 4/19/2013 2:17:17 PM(edited)
^
Forget my original theory on that glitch. After doing research, this is a well-known problem with the game. In fact, I even found out that someone unofficially fixed this glitch(among many others), and it no longer appears. Apparently, it does appear on unofficial emulators. Whether this fix actually works on a real Famicom/NES, remains to be seen.

*EDIT*
Never mind, from what I've read, it would work on a real Famicom/NES.

Lol, sorry for derailing this topic further, TC.
---
Not changing sig until Toad, Jill and Drill Dozer are playable characters in the new Smash Bros.
#35ObtuseAnginaPosted 4/19/2013 8:28:07 PM(edited)
i was just playing Mega Man 3 on the 3DS, it seems there is an entire line of pixels missing on the stage select screen, on the same line, where the glitch line would occur. its weird.
---
./|,-``\(o)_\,----,,,_http://i.imgur.com/qtiKuN7.png But if you're gonna cheat,
( `\(o),,_/` : o : : :o `-,...you might as well be a fairy while you're at it.
#36Frozenx07Posted 4/19/2013 9:16:35 PM
I have all 3 VC Mega Man games and don't see any lighting problems.
#37ObtuseAnginaPosted 4/19/2013 9:24:41 PM
x23sephiroth23x posted...
i was just playing Mega Man 3 on the 3DS, it seems there is an entire line of pixels missing on the stage select screen, on the same line, where the glitch line would occur. its weird.

i am wrong. the line of pixels is missing from the original NES version too, but on the NES version it seems that shadow man's portrait is trying to generate the missing line which causes glitching.
---
#38n00bsaib0tPosted 4/20/2013 12:35:23 AM
HaloOfTheSun442 posted...
When I was a kid I had Mega Man 3 and it had that line glitch, but after losing my collection and then rebuying Mega Man 3 recently I noticed that this copy of the game does NOT have that line! There are two possibilities here:

1. There was a second run of MM3 that had the glitch fixed (likely since VC games tend to not have these glitches fixed and Nintendo will use the most up-to-date version of a game released).
2. I'm using a top loader NES, while I used the original NES when I was a kid. Possibly the differences between the two affect the glitch showing up as with other games with similar glitches.

Interesting. I ditched my standard NES in favor of a top loader YEARS ago . Maybe I just never noticed before because I was too young when I was playing on a standard NES. All I know is that playing it after I saw it on the emulator I never saw it on my NES.

What does everyone else think? I hadn't considered differences between a top loader and the classic NES, but it would make sense that there is some difference as the blinking screen issues don't exist with the top loader (hence why I ditched my classic in my teenage years when I found a top loader second hand). It's possible I was just that unobservant when I played it on a classic NES as a kid.
---
PSN/XBL- Nifterific
SSF4AE: Balrog, Evil Ryu | UMvC3: C.Viper/Morrigan/Hulk | MK9: Noob Saibot, Cyber Sub-Zero | SFxTK: Ryu/Guile
#39ObtuseAnginaPosted 4/20/2013 12:44:17 AM
I have seen it on a toaster NES and top loader, and a famicom av.
---