Dangers of going digital-only

#1MysteriousQuailPosted 4/18/2013 7:36:35 PM
I'm thinking of purchasing the Animal Crossing bundle when it comes out and giving my current XL to my sister and giving my cartridges to her, and in doing so I would also go digital-only with my games since New Leaf would already be on the system. What worries me, though, is that if my new XL is stolen that I wouldn't be able to redeem those games at all and would have to purchase them again. Furthermore, the system is damaged to the point where I couldn't do a system-transfer, and I'd like to purchase a store warranty to protect it, purchasing a store warranty would be useless if it was damaged to the point, as I'd have to send it to Nintendo for repairs in order to keep my data. I'd really like to purchase the New Leaf XL bundle and go digital-only, but I'm afraid that if I do a simple accident could render my purchases null or cost me a pretty penny. Am I missing something? Any advice/thoughts?
---
I am the ultimate!
3DS: 2106-0015-0008 || Steam: TheMysteriousQuail || Email: TheMysteriousQuail@live.com
#2DarkLink346Posted 4/18/2013 7:39:11 PM
Yes, those things are totally a possibility. No, there is currently no way around it. I recently decided to purchase games digitally and I'm not really afraid of those things happening. I take good care of my systems, rarely take them where they can be stolen, and have never had a Nintendo product crap out on me, so I'm fairly confident I will be fine. It will all come down to personal preference until Nintendo releases an account system.
---
Use the damn search button!
http://monsterhunter.wikia.com/wiki/Monster_Hunter_Wiki
#3WetterdewPosted 4/18/2013 8:37:51 PM
You can recover some/most/all of your games if you phone Nintendo after getting a new 3DS after having lost your old one. I don't know if they'll do it if you haven't connected your system to Club Nintendo or not. The more documentation you have of what games you've bought, the better.
---
A horrible person:
I am a horrible person. That's what it says: a horrible person.
#4RetroFanGirlPosted 4/18/2013 8:47:04 PM(edited)
With Nintendo, permanently losing your games. Being oblivious to online was cute at first, but this needs fixed. Needs to be account based.
---
Hi.
#5iphysPosted 4/18/2013 9:55:15 PM
If you have a police report of the theft, Nintendo will help you get your downloaded games back, which is actually an advantage over having physical copies of your games stolen, but yeah, it does worry me that it would be easy to accidentally lose your system full of games while on the go and be totally out of luck, whereas with physical copies you probably wouldn't be carrying all the cartridges on you at least. I hope Nintendo improves the flexibility with digital games in the future so you can easily access them on a new system if something happens to your old one.
#6SquirrelettePosted 4/19/2013 5:08:05 AM
That's exactly why I'm not going digital for AC despite desperately wanting to.

Wetterdew posted...
You can recover some/most/all of your games if you phone Nintendo after getting a new 3DS after having lost your old one. I don't know if they'll do it if you haven't connected your system to Club Nintendo or not. The more documentation you have of what games you've bought, the better.

You might get your games back but you'll lose all your save info. You put far too much work into Animal Crossing (and this one much, much more than before) to want to lose all your progress and start again. :-(
---
~" A chat with you, and somehow death loses its sting."~
#7JKSonicPosted 4/19/2013 5:13:29 AM

That's funny because I "lost" mine (details not needed) and didn't realize that it wasn't like XBL where it's tied to an ACCOUNT not a system. When I bought a new one I tried to get my ambassador games and the ones I had bought back and was flat out denied. All of my purchases and ambassador status are confirmed because my account is linked to my Club Nintendo.

There's been rumors they were going to fix this all and make it account based soon (and was hoping now that I have an XL again it was already fixed...guess not) and really that NEEDS TO HAPPEN.
---
https://www.facebook.com/AbstractedRealism (pinup and boudoir)
https://www.facebook.com/KulhaPhotography (families, scenery, etc)
#890sRetroGamingPosted 4/19/2013 5:16:27 AM
RetroFanGirl posted...
With Nintendo, permanently losing your games. Being oblivious to online was cute at first, but this needs fixed. Needs to be account based.

The absolute truth.
---
"OldSchoolGaming4Life" on YT & CAG/"90sRetroGaming" on mariokartwii.com
#9n00bsaib0tPosted 4/19/2013 5:24:39 AM
JKSonic posted...

That's funny because I "lost" mine (details not needed) and didn't realize that it wasn't like XBL where it's tied to an ACCOUNT not a system. When I bought a new one I tried to get my ambassador games and the ones I had bought back and was flat out denied. All of my purchases and ambassador status are confirmed because my account is linked to my Club Nintendo.

There's been rumors they were going to fix this all and make it account based soon (and was hoping now that I have an XL again it was already fixed...guess not) and really that NEEDS TO HAPPEN.

You should keep trying. I know from personal experience that they can do this when you lose a system. You absolutely 100% need serial numbers though. When they transfer the licenses to the new 3DS the games will be playable on the old one until you go into your downloads on the new one and redeem them, then they disappear from the old one. Tried to cheat for some free games once, lost all my downloaded games to my wife's 3DS without losing my Mii and everything else that goes with a system transfer.
---
PSN/XBL- Nifterific
SSF4AE: Balrog, Evil Ryu | UMvC3: C.Viper/Morrigan/Hulk | MK9: Noob Saibot, Cyber Sub-Zero | SFxTK: Ryu/Guile
#10FinnelforeverPosted 4/19/2013 5:25:22 AM
90sRetroGaming posted...
RetroFanGirl posted...

The absolute truth.

No drones can alter this truth...