Donkey Kong Country Returns 3D (Impressions) Broke control system!

#1gfaqsterPosted 4/19/2013 1:24:53 AM
http://www.nintendoworldreport.com/impressions/33934

"It took me a few minutes to get used to the controls in DKCR3D, and I still wasnít happy. While the Wii Remote shake moves have thankfully been replaced with buttons, the actual control scheme doesnít make a lot of sense. Having years of experience with the original Donkey Kong Country series, the button layout simply didnít work well, as it was seemingly mapped from the Wii versionís Nunchuk scheme. In the default configuration, run and roll are mapped to X and Y, while jump is mapped to A. Grab is inexplicably mapped to the shoulder buttons, which was pretty unnecessary and frustrating, given the two duplicated face buttons and the tradition of mapping run and grab to the same button. The roll maneuver itself seemed twitchier than I remember it being on the Wii, even with its despised shake mechanic."

One thing I hate a lot is ass controls for platformers.

going to cancel my preorder today....
---
We live to make the impossible possible!
-Lightning-
#2HellsingOrgPosted 4/19/2013 1:28:56 AM
X as the run button = ok for me
Y as the roll button = ok for me
A as the jump button = ok for me
B as the ground pound button = ok for me

L/R triggers used as the grab button = f*** that s*** its going to be wonky as hell.

I was looking forward to play this since I never played the original on Wii because of the motion controls.
Now it seems I won't play the 3ds version either because of bad controls.
---
The bird of Hermes is my name eating my wings to make me tame.
#3AhnoldDoodPosted 4/19/2013 1:33:07 AM
Theortically, I see nothing wrong with the controls. Gotta test this myself, though.
#4HellsingOrgPosted 4/19/2013 1:36:49 AM
AhnoldDood posted...
Theortically, I see nothing wrong with the controls. Gotta test this myself, though.

Are you serious?
Have you ever played a platformer that required you to use the trigger buttons to grab?
It sucks tremendous ass.
---
The bird of Hermes is my name eating my wings to make me tame.
#5AhnoldDoodPosted 4/19/2013 1:46:26 AM
HellsingOrg posted...
AhnoldDood posted...

Are you serious?
Have you ever played a platformer that required you to use the trigger buttons to grab?
It sucks tremendous ass.

I barely play platformers where you do grab stuff. And I think I can manage stretching my index/middle finger for the L/R buttons. I've played the VC version of DKC for god's sake.
#6lambchipsPosted 4/19/2013 1:59:39 AM
they really should let us map the controls outselves...
I HATE using A to jump for platformers (the only way i can enjoy platformers is when B is used for jumps)
---
i7 3820@ 3.60GHz| 16GB Corsair Vengeance 1600MHz DDR3| Gigabyte GTX670 2GB OC| Intel 520 Series 120GB SSD| Antec EarthWatts 750W Green
#7noutBrPosted 4/19/2013 2:43:40 AM
Ouch, those controls don't look comfortable at all.

I just don't understand some developers, almost all SNES platform/action games had B and Y as the main action buttons (DKC and Mario for instance). It is what long time gamers have always used so it's just not as intuitive when developers decide to change things around.

I hated playing MMBN games on my DSlite because I wanted to play with B+Y instead of A+B (I also don't find A+X as comfortable for some reason). The angle/position in which my thumb rests on the controls is just the most comfortable in the B+Y position and it's the first thing I change in the Wii U VC games. I also couldn't play Mega Man Anniversary Collection (GCN) for the life of me, I would walk shooting into a pit and started jumping like mad whenever an enemy appeared. Even after an extensive period of time I just couldn't program my mind to work as efficient as I did with the regular control scheme.

Imagine if a 3rd/1st Person shooter came out and reversed the two analogue sticks, it would be incredibly hard for any experienced gamer to get used to those controls and in the end it's just frustrating for no good reason so why not just give gamers custom control options?

Now that I see how the game controls I can fully understand the need for an EASY mode XD I'm glad I already own the Wii game and was leaning towards not buying it because of that.
---
m e g a m a n f o r e v e r
#8Dr4G0nZPosted 4/19/2013 2:49:20 AM
AhnoldDood posted...
HellsingOrg posted...
AhnoldDood posted...

Are you serious?
It sucks tremendous ass.

I barely play platformers where you do grab stuff. And I think I can manage stretching my index/middle finger for the L/R buttons. I've played the VC version of DKC for god's sake.

Don't you have to press the shoulder buttons to grab in King of Swing?!
---
Intel i5-3470 || Sapphire AMD Radeon HD 7950 || 8GB GDDR3
#9GollyFluffPosted 4/19/2013 4:07:20 AM
HellsingOrg posted...
AhnoldDood posted...

Are you serious?
It sucks tremendous ass.

Battleblock theater does it, and it feels fine.
---
"Captain Falcon wasn't confirmed for Brawl. Brawl was confirmed for Captain Falcon."
#10SPDShadowRangerPosted 4/19/2013 7:47:57 AM
Sounds awkward but I usually adapt to control schemes to I'll have to play myself to see how it feels.