So the 3DS can handle PS2 and Wii games.

#1talesfan215Posted 4/19/2013 11:00:10 AM
PS2 game (Tales of the Abyss) Wii game (Donkey Kong country Returns)

Any chance we might get PS2 games at the e-shop and some Wii games as well? I'd really like to have Digital Devil Saga and Muramasa on the go. Arc Rise Fantasia is most likely pushing it, but that would be sweet too.
#2bcorneliaPosted 4/19/2013 11:03:15 AM
They would require comprehensive ports, take quite a bit of time to finish, and would probably just be presented as full-price 3DS games.
---
This is an elite pirate
#3talesfan215(Topic Creator)Posted 4/19/2013 11:05:36 AM(edited)
I wouldn't mind paying full price again.

Abyss actually improved load times on the map over the PS2 version.

Also forgot we got Monster Hunter Tri on the 3DS too, which was a pretty huge Wii game.
#4LLL_DeadlyPosted 4/19/2013 11:07:57 AM
Those aren't exactly the strongest PS2/Wii games out there.

I'm not sure about the specs or any of that jazz, but I'd like to see if the 3DS can handle Skyward Sword.
---
Predicting Sasuke Uchiha's death sometime in the next 50 chapters. ~03/19/13
#5MarsfordPosted 4/19/2013 11:08:27 AM
Chances are about 0.01% for eShop releases. And that's being generous. Port? Maybe.

They should port Arc Rise Fantasia. A gem that game is.
---
Why are you NOT listening to White Skies when you could be listening to White Skies?!
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8MDhdP94TKc
#6deimos91Posted 4/19/2013 11:27:42 AM
talesfan215 posted...

Any chance we might get PS2 games at the e-shop and some Wii games as well? I'd really like to have Digital Devil Saga and Muramasa on the go. Arc Rise Fantasia is most likely pushing it, but that would be sweet too.

if it could emulate yes but alas it cannot as it lacks the power to do so
---
steam:fartman91/3DSFC:3265-5740-7951
#7mahgah91Posted 4/19/2013 12:51:15 PM
talesfan215 posted...

Emulation is different from a port. Tales of the Abyss and DKCR work because they took those games and altered the programming to be optimized for the 3DS. Emulation requires the emulating device to be exponentially more powerful than the original device.
#8gransPosted 4/19/2013 2:34:00 PM(edited)
TC probably gets the difference between emulation and porting, but yeah any proposed ports of PS2 or Wii games would be full priced retail games. There might be an eshop release as there has been with other retail games, but they'd still be priced far higher than a VC game would be.

Those aren't exactly the strongest PS2/Wii games out there.

I'm not sure about the specs or any of that jazz, but I'd like to see if the 3DS can handle Skyward Sword.

3DS is more than capable of handling proper ports of even the strongest PS2 and Wii games out there, if given to a competent and willing developer with a good budget and the necessary time and resources to do it. Skyward Sword almost certainly won't ever happen on the 3DS for more obvious reasons, none of which has to do with how powerful the 3DS is.

Now that doesn't mean that every port out there will turn out as good as the original game, though again that has to do with the developer and resources, not the system's power. GBA for example as i've said numerous times was a rather large amount more powerful than either SNES or Genesis, and yet it ended up as a sort of dumping ground for an insultingly large quantity of sub-par or even horrible ports from those consoles. Even the Vita and PS3 are not immune to poor ports of older games, often either having framerate problems or running in sub native resolution despite their incredibly formidable power. I had a look at the Jak & Daxter Collection trailer for Vita this morning, and lo and behold, massive framerate issues can be seen throughout.

DKC Returns really isn't an unimpressive game despite being a sidescroller. There's an immense amount of detail going on onscreen. Retro even stated in an old IGN interview that the average level in the Wii version used about 3x the amount of polygon and texture detail that most of Metroid Prime 3's rooms used. And while the textures won't be able to completely replicate the clarity in the Wii version due to the lower resolution of the 3DS' screen, there has yet to be any places where the game uses less geometry than the Wii version.

And Monster Hunter Tri is on the high end tier of Wii games. It's a game that made the development team behind Twilight Princess jealous.
---
NEVER judge a game you have not played.
-Granville
#9TheLibrarianPosted 4/19/2013 2:50:46 PM
What I want is a port of the Metroid Prime Trilogy.