System running warmer after update?

#1PendragoonPosted 4/19/2013 8:55:26 PM(edited)
Since the firmware update that increased the framerate in many games I have noticed my systems felt hotter while playing them. I own both an XL and a Original. Both systems are running the latest firmware. I used the Etrian Odyssey demo and sat in the inn during the test.

To eliminate my body heat as a part of the problem I left the systems on a table for 30 minutes in a game with my normal settings for playing games (power save off, brightness at 4 on my XL, 3 on my Original) Both systems were quite warm to the touch around the cartridge slot and when I removed the game carts they were warm as well.*

I then tested turning wifi off, which reduced the heat rather quickly, but it still wasn't as cool as they were with wifi on pre-update. I have to wonder if battery life will be affected if the system has been overclocked.

*Due to it's smaller size the original ran hotter as there is less room for the heat to dissipate, the game cart in the OG was also warmer than the one in the XL.

Has anyone else noticed this?
---
Know Japanese? Post your advice in the topic below!
http://gamefaqs.com/boards/316-gamefaqs-world-japan/63714709
#2m0986-8Posted 4/19/2013 8:45:11 PM
I have noticed this as well
---
Black 2 FC: 2237-6383-5599
AMD Athlon II Quad Core 3.0GHZ | HD 5770 | 4GB RAM
#3aak57Posted 4/19/2013 8:47:25 PM
The firmware update allowed the games to access more of the CPU's power, didn't it? If so, it's only natural that the system would be warmer as using more power would generate more heat (and also reduce battery life, though it must not be a significant amount since people haven't been complaining).
---
May thine...strength...help the world be mended
http://i.imgur.com/HdBP0.jpg
#4ss4gogeta_darkPosted 4/19/2013 8:51:42 PM
Depends on the game you play. You won't see a difference in most games but rayman 3D and a few others got better performance. I have only played MH3 lately so I always see fairly good frame rates since I disabled 3d. I swear the game runs 50 - 60fps with the 3d disabled in options.
---
FX 8150 @ 4.3ghz|MSI 7970 Lightning 1200/1600|MSI 990fxa-gd80|G.skill 1866mhz| W7Ux64
FCs in contacts.
#5Pendragoon(Topic Creator)Posted 4/19/2013 8:58:18 PM
ss4gogeta_dark posted...
Depends on the game you play. You won't see a difference in most games but rayman 3D and a few others got better performance. I have only played MH3 lately so I always see fairly good frame rates since I disabled 3d. I swear the game runs 50 - 60fps with the 3d disabled in options.

I wasn't testing for slowdown improvements, the massive improvement to the world map in Tales of the Abyss was enough to convince me that they did something. (no more massive slowdown in forests!)

I added my test game to the first post, this is what I added.

I used the Etrian Odyssey demo and sat in the inn during the test.
---
Know Japanese? Post your advice in the topic below!
http://gamefaqs.com/boards/316-gamefaqs-world-japan/63714709
#6Second_ChancesPosted 4/19/2013 9:04:54 PM
Considering that what the update apparently did was stop underclocking the CPU, it's not a surprise.
#7Frozenx07Posted 4/19/2013 9:12:08 PM
Yes, I noticed this too!
#8WallydraiglePosted 4/19/2013 9:46:39 PM
aak57 posted...
The firmware update allowed the games to access more of the CPU's power, didn't it? If so, it's only natural that the system would be warmer as using more power would generate more heat (and also reduce battery life, though it must not be a significant amount since people haven't been complaining).

The battery life is already so horrible you wouldn't really notice it getting worse unless the system just wouldn't power up anymore.
---
Always interested in any Pokemon event distribution cartridges. My email is in my profile.
#9blazeUP12Posted 4/20/2013 11:12:35 AM
aak57 posted...

Was this actually confirmed somewhere?
---
hello earthlings, i am from another planet
http://www.youtube.com/XXtheJUMPoffXX
#10esoteric42Posted 4/20/2013 4:04:51 PM
Where exactly does the system generate heat? I've never noticed heat from my 3DS or my XL before or after the update.

The only heat I might have felt was where the battery is when it is charging, but even that is a faint memory.
---
US 3DS Friend Code: 4511-0481-8141 (Bryan)