Is the Pokemon Mystery Dungeon 3ds game as good as the other PMD games?

#1LordYggdrasilXXPosted 4/20/2013 3:57:33 PM
Just want to know. I am considering buying it
#2TAoRPosted 4/20/2013 4:03:59 PM
lolno
#3Human-BeanPosted 4/20/2013 4:06:53 PM
The game is garbage, the variety of Pokemon available is atrocious. The inablility to recruit boss Pokemon is simply stupid. You should avoid this game.
---
The bean represents the poop; one of the greatests substances created by men. ~stargazer64
#4Virus66Posted 4/20/2013 4:10:06 PM
It's not as bad as a lot of people say (GameFAQs being what it is, exaggerates EVERYTHING), but Explorers of Sky is definitely better.
---
PSN: JVir NNID: Jayvir
These days, all the kids are playing M rated games while the adults are lining up for Pokemon. Which game is a kid's game now?
#5keybladesrusPosted 4/20/2013 4:48:58 PM
Pokemon variety aside, it is every bit as good. They removed a few things, but added a lot more. The story is much shorter, but much more streamlined. It is actually my favorite story in the PMD series. It's actually a bit darker than you would expect from a Pokemon game. The only real problem I had with the game is the short post-game.

I fully recommend the game to any Pokemon fan.
---
"My favorite color of poop is seven." - Seanbaby, cracked.com
#6notSFFPosted 4/20/2013 4:54:10 PM
Its...okay, but Sky is still the definitive entry in the series.
---
SteamID: tsff20
Xbox Gamer Tag: TSFF19
#7rahxephon122Posted 4/20/2013 5:02:55 PM
Isn't Sky the same as Darkness/Time?

This one is good, it's lacking a few bells and whistles, but adds enough of its own depth to cover itself.

The series as a whole lacks the excitement of when the first one came out (I remember people exclaiming how Pokemon could talk for the first time.)

But yeah, I won't be putting 100 hours into it like I did Blue Rescue Team, but I definitely played enough to justify the purchase.
---
Ich habe keinen Meister bis auf den Wind der Freiheit!
#8NinjaKitsunePosted 4/20/2013 5:10:37 PM(edited)
Pros:
Much improved move system. Moves will actually level up, increasing power, pp, and accuracy, and can be further trained

About the same Pre-credits story length, but fewer mandatory "filler" days. You set the pace

Non-story recruits can evolve right away. Starter and partner can evolve a few days after the credits.

Pokemon Paradise! Gather materials from requests to build fields to grow seeds and berries, dojos to train moves, speciality shops for wonder orbs or seeds and berries, swap shop (like recycling in EoS), Prize Pallace (prize tickets which you get from swap shop, plus scratch tickets and a daily raffle), sunken treasure (free mini-game, doable once each in-game day), beartic slide (different minigame, you can play as many times as you want but it costs 100 poke each play), and probably some other shops I'm forgetting/don't really use. Plus, all your recruited pokemon can be found wandering around paradise.

Companion mode: At any time you can save, you can switch to companion mode. You choose a new leader from any recruited pokemon, and can do requests off the request board. Items and money you get while in companion mode will be sent to your deposit box (It's like a kangahskan rock that also stores money), letting you access them from the deposit boxes at rest points in the main adventure. You can't leave paradise in this mode, but the three important shops in town will move to the area with the request board and quagsire sells items just like kecleon.

Magnagates. You get them by scanning round objects with the 3DS camera, with color influencing the type and size of the circle influencing difficulty.

Cons:
Much fewer starters to choose from. Gen 5 starter trio plus axew and pikachu.

Fewer pokemon overall to recruit. Most of them from gen 5 as well.

Very few legendary recruits. Some more legendaries show up as bosses for a special second request list, but can't be recruited.

Hunger is removed in all but a few post-game challenge dungeons.

post-credits story is much shorter. Though I found plenty to do post-credits even without something like EoS's story.

International release removed the ability to choose gender for you and partner.

Wondermail rescuing has been removed. Rescuing is done by streetpass and is basically sending a reviver seed over.

Other:
http://www.serebii.net/dungeoninfinity/pokemon.shtml (Full list of recruitable pokemon)

IQ is completely removed. Replacing it is team skills, which are found randomly from treasure chests

I thoroughly enjoyed it. It does a couple things worse, a couple things better, and adds a bunch of new things I love. I got it launch day and am still playing it with plenty to do, though a fair bit of that is goals I've set for myself.
---
Dammit, Tuvok, the Prime Directive doesn't apply;
they have coffee!
#9BlueBombei2Posted 4/20/2013 5:04:37 PM
It's not a horrible game. It's fun enough and totally worth the $35.
#10NinjaKitsunePosted 4/20/2013 5:05:26 PM
Isn't Sky the same as Darkness/Time?

This one is good, it's lacking a few bells and whistles, but adds enough of its own depth to cover itself.

The series as a whole lacks the excitement of when the first one came out (I remember people exclaiming how Pokemon could talk for the first time.)

But yeah, I won't be putting 100 hours into it like I did Blue Rescue Team, but I definitely played enough to justify the purchase.

Sky adds a couple things, changes a couple things, and is generally considered the best version. It's kinda like the third version in main series games in that respect.
---
There once was a buggy AI, Who decided her subject should die.
When the plot was uncovered,The subjected discovered, That sadly the cake was a lie.