Finally upgrading to XL tomorrow and doing transfer in shop. Format SD?

#1manimsostupidPosted 4/20/2013 7:59:03 PM
I've done a backup at home for when I get back with the XL, but I'm wondering if there's any SD reliant data that needs to be there during the transfer?
The 3DS itself is incapable of doing a full SD wipe, and I don't want pictures and such to be left behind when I leave. I was thinking of bringing my laptop, but that might be considered a tad overkill...

I'm sorry in advance if this has already been addressed, but a search returned nothing so specific.
#2confettistormPosted 4/20/2013 8:04:22 PM(edited)
Just follow the instructions. You need to keep your SD in the slot while it's doing the transfer and you take it out and swap it to your other system to complete the transfer.

It needs to be in the system while doing this because it transfers the rights of the game from one system to another.

You can't just back up your SD card and stick it in another 3DS without a transfer because otherwise you could copy digital games to multiple 3DS like this. It needs to transfer the license or rights of the game and register it with the new system.

If you are copying to a new SD card, transfer all your files over to your new SD card via computer first and then plug it into your old system and then do the transfer.
After everything is done, then you can format your old SD card.
#3manimsostupid(Topic Creator)Posted 4/20/2013 8:19:11 PM
Great, thank you for answering! It's much clearer now.
One thing though, I'm doing all of it in store. That means that I won't be able to format the old SD card before leaving. Would that pose a problem? I know there's not much in the way of sensitive data on the SD card, but I'd rather leave the old 3DS as blank as possible.
#4manimsostupid(Topic Creator)Posted 4/20/2013 8:50:41 PM
I'm thinking that I should bring 2 SD cards tomorrow. One that will be used for the transfer and kept after it to be copied on the new 4gb of the XL and the other formatted and left with the old 3DS after the trade in.
Am I overthinking this?