I hope most of you consider Zelda NOT an RPG right???

#1RPGNinja123Posted 4/20/2013 11:33:56 PM(edited)
I get sick of people saying Zelda is a great RPG game. While it has RPG elements it is most certainly not an RPG.

Now I might be a little biased (besides my name) because I don't really like that many Zelda games precisely because there are no "levels, stats and experience" but I would like to see a type of game like that eventually if it was well done. It wouldn't have to be the most complex or deep rpg either and I guess it could be an action rpg to make it easier since the current formula is basically Action Adventure.

Although they could definitely pull off turn based if they went into that direction.

Sidenote : I enjoyed the hell out of LttP and Link's Awakening (maybe I just like overhead Zeldas)
---
It's a beautiful time to be a 3DS owner.
3DS Friend Code = 0232-8140-1787 (send a PM if you add me)
#2necxv17Posted 4/20/2013 11:35:50 PM
Zelda is a female protagonist.
#3RPGNinja123(Topic Creator)Posted 4/20/2013 11:36:57 PM
necxv17 posted...
Zelda is a female protagonist.

necxv17 is a troll new user account.
---
It's a beautiful time to be a 3DS owner.
3DS Friend Code = 0232-8140-1787 (send a PM if you add me)
#4UFOLochePosted 4/21/2013 12:14:54 AM
I always laugh at people that call it an action RPG.
---
PSN:Marioandli Skype:Viewtifulninja1
Legends never die!
#5n00bsaib0tPosted 4/21/2013 12:23:15 AM
RPGNinja123 posted...
Now I might be a little biased (besides my name) because I don't really like that many Zelda games precisely because there are no "levels, stats and experience"

Zelda 2 The Adventure of Link would like to have a word with you. Also possibly my favorite in the entire franchise.

Also your post is kinda redundant. "RPG game"? Role playing game game?
---
PSN/XBL- Nifterific
SSF4AE: Balrog, Evil Ryu | UMvC3: C.Viper/Morrigan/Hulk | MK9: Noob Saibot, Cyber Sub-Zero | SFxTK: Ryu/Guile
#6mahgah91Posted 4/21/2013 12:25:19 AM
Zelda is probably best described as an Action Adventure. The franchise is so defining in gaming though, it's hard to capture it in any conventional genre.
#7abbyhitterPosted 4/21/2013 6:00:39 AM
By definition, an RPG is a game in which players assume the roles of characters in a fictional setting. Players take responsibility for acting out these roles within a narrative, either through literal acting or through a process of structured decision-making or character development. Actions taken within many games succeed or fail according to a formal system of rules and guidelines.

You don't have to have level ups or stat increases to be considered an RPG.
---
abbyhaxxor<3
I always rush here to tell GameFAQs my problems!
#8DeathSoul2000Posted 4/21/2013 6:04:39 AM
abbyhitter posted...

yes you do.
#9mjc0961Posted 4/21/2013 6:05:11 AM
abbyhitter posted...
By definition, an RPG is a game in which players assume the roles of characters in a fictional setting. Players take responsibility for acting out these roles within a narrative, either through literal acting or through a process of structured decision-making or character development. Actions taken within many games succeed or fail according to a formal system of rules and guidelines.

I hate this crappy argument. You just called every single video game an RPG. You called Call of Duty an RPG. You called Gears of War an RPG. You called Super Mario Bros an RPG.

Anyone who makes this "an RPG is just a game where you play a roll lawlz" argument should be permanently banned from the entire internet.
---
sirtonne posted...
This topic is so stupid I had to slap my wife.
#10trenton97Posted 4/21/2013 6:07:21 AM
abbyhitter posted...

ITP: Every game ever is an RPG, denotative meanings of words have finally won the war with connotative.
---
After I finish life the first time, I'm doing a challenge run.
LttP>everything else.