Nintendo customer service says Nintendo won't replace lost/stolen digital games

#21UFOLochePosted 4/21/2013 8:01:01 PM
TinyTim123 posted...
UFOLoche posted...
Ok, very fair point about the physical copy thing, I know a lot of people who're the same way.
Mhm, lack of broadband, right..completely understandable.
Penny Arcade games weren't that great so you didn't miss out(Just kidding just kidding).
Sorry to hear your 360 died, although your experience is very weird. From what I understand from my friends, they can redownload off their accounts much like the PS3 can, but hey, I don't own it, so I'm not the most well-versed in that.

I can certainly redownload it NOW. Back then, it was tied to your system, exactly like the 3DS is now, but I could PLAY it if I was signed into XBox live. When the newer models of 360s came out, they made it so that you could then tie your games to your system, and you kinda missed the point; I had no access to broadband to be able to connect to XBox live every time I wanted to play. They have changed the way they do things.
Yes, I am enjoying my Vita.
I do agree that Nintendo is behind the times, at least as far as a unified account system. I do buy a few things digitally on my 3DS (I don't own a Nintendo home console and haven't for quite some time). I would like for there to be a unified account system.

My whole point is, Ive heard so many times about people successfully getting their digital stuff back from Nintendo that TC seems like he is making an inflammatory post about this.

It still boils down to "If you don't try, you won't succeed."

Ah, ok, my bad. Like I said, I don't own a 360, but my two best friends do. And no, I didn't miss the point, I was just making a joke about Penny Arcade, I understood completely.

And I agree, trying is certainly something you should do, but it's kinda obvious we're both trying to make two different points here, both of which are correct. Nintendo needs to change their DD system, but of course, in the meantime, you should try to contact Nintendo for a reimbursement of some kind. I was more directing my post towards people who were trying to compare the loss of physical copies to digital copies.
---
PSN:Marioandli Skype:Viewtifulninja1
Legends never die!
#22TinyTim123Posted 4/21/2013 8:07:37 PM
UFOLoche posted...
Ah, ok, my bad. Like I said, I don't own a 360, but my two best friends do. And no, I didn't miss the point, I was just making a joke about Penny Arcade, I understood completely.

I was more directing my post towards people who were trying to compare the loss of physical copies to digital copies.

I meant that one cannot redownload something onto an XBox360 when one has no access to broadband. And especially at that time, when things were tied to the system and could only be used when signed into your particular XBox Live ID. I have no idea about the Penny-Arcade game. I never got a chance to play it originally, and don't currently have a hard drive for my current 360 (it came free with my laptop, and I need to buy a hard drive). To be fair, I don't even have my 360 hooked up at home, it's at my brother's so that we can play Borderlands 2 together on separate TVs, but in the same house.

I also agree, comparing physical to digital is all bu ridiculous, in cases such as this. Right now, I compare Nintendo's online system to VERY early XBox live (pre 360 XBox live). But that means they likely can do much better in the future!
---
http://www.explosm.net/comics/657/
#23UFOLochePosted 4/21/2013 8:11:30 PM
TinyTim123 posted...
UFOLoche posted...

I was more directing my post towards people who were trying to compare the loss of physical copies to digital copies.

I meant that one cannot redownload something onto an XBox360 when one has no access to broadband. And especially at that time, when things were tied to the system and could only be used when signed into your particular XBox Live ID. I have no idea about the Penny-Arcade game. I never got a chance to play it originally, and don't currently have a hard drive for my current 360 (it came free with my laptop, and I need to buy a hard drive). To be fair, I don't even have my 360 hooked up at home, it's at my brother's so that we can play Borderlands 2 together on separate TVs, but in the same house.

I also agree, comparing physical to digital is all bu ridiculous, in cases such as this. Right now, I compare Nintendo's online system to VERY early XBox live (pre 360 XBox live). But that means they likely can do much better in the future!

Right right, I see I see, my bad.

And I agree completely! People need to realize that criticism isn't a bad thing, people like me are actually excited for Nintendo going into the Digital distribution foray, we just want them to hurry up and get with the times.

Also, I'm so sorry that you're playing Borderlands 2. Joking aside, I honestly just can't play that game without getting bored and falling asleep, even with friends(Funnily enough, I can play Borderlands 1 by myself just fine)
---
Legends never die!
#24Baha05Posted 4/21/2013 8:25:50 PM
It is something that needs fixing. Hopefully when the Wii U's account system is up to date and they hook Miiverse to the 3DS (With ID) it'll fix the issue.
---
"I think there will be a price drop at the latest by E3. I'd even bet my account on it." Icecreamdunwich on the Wii U
#25SlimeStackPosted 4/22/2013 12:57:10 AM
It's good that they will restore your purchases in certain situations, but the fact that they've stated they generally won't do so is horrid. It's a problem that can be avoided and Nintendo have chosen to screw over customers instead. We shouldn't have to phone them to restore stuff, we should just be able to redownload to any system whenever we want.

Apart from the Oracle games, which will be cheap to replace if lost, I'll never support the eShop while it has such a horrid glaring flaw in an era where this problem was solved by other companies years ago.
---
Moo
#26BdowDELL222Posted 4/22/2013 1:11:21 AM
Now I am not supporting Nintendo's absence of a unified account system, but do some of you not realize that you have a zero chance of recovery if you're physical game gets stolen o.O

I mean technically you have a better chance of recovering a digital game (judging by the stories on this board of Nintendo actually reimbursing) than you would recovering a stolen physical copy of a game.

Now I know if the whole system is stolen, only one physical game would probably get stolen leaving your other physical copies safe (unless you carry them all at once), but I just though I would bring a valid point up.
#27SlimeStackPosted 4/22/2013 1:16:30 AM
Well like you said, you'd probably only lose the one game. If you went full digital you could lose a hundred games at once. It's not just the ones installed, it's every digital game you've ever bought on the system.
---
Moo
#28darkus_fPosted 4/22/2013 1:23:51 AM
Nintendo should get with the times and add the account system already, period. Also remove the damned region lock.
---
3DS FC: 0447-5073-6549 PSN: darkus_f
PWB F5: Punk, Dolph, Cesaro, Reigns, Mark
#29UFOLochePosted 4/22/2013 1:27:01 AM
darkus_f posted...
Nintendo should get with the times and add the account system already, period. Also remove the damned region lock.

The last part, because Nintendo was stupid enough to add it in the first place, is more than likely near-impossible to do, at least, without pissing off a lot of companies. Someone else explained it in depth in another topic.

I'm honestly amazed they put in region lock though, I mean, the DS doesn't have region lock., so..why the 3DS? I'm actually very interested in why they did this(Especially since the lack of a region lock helped them more than it harmed them last handheld generation(At least, that's what I remember considering Ouendan)).
---
Legends never die!
#30EngineR2Posted 4/22/2013 4:34:33 AM
It's said that Nintendo is doing this because of Japanese gamers importing to Japan for less cost than the original game where they are, and other cases around other territories that are similar. This "up to the developers for deciding to region-lock", as far as I know, has proven to either be a lie, or every company has actually locked their games. You probably already know this, considering you said someone explained this in depth.

If that wasn't the case, I know I would've purchased E.X. Troopers(would've helped Capcom, somewhat).
---
Not changing sig until Toad, Jill and Drill Dozer are playable characters in the new Smash Bros.