Now that Pokemon is in 3D...

#1levyjl1988Posted 4/22/2013 7:39:23 AM
Does that make games like Pokemon Battle Revolution obsolete?

Pokemon Stadium 1&2 wowed us with the ability to see our Pokemon fight in the big screen. It was also the dirt time we've seen Pokemon rendered with polygons. There were also fun diversions such as Mario Party-esq minigames.

Pokemon Coliseum and XD Gale of Darkness involved a full campaign. Including the battle connectivity.

Pokemon Battle Revolution is a disappointment. No campaign, no mini games, just a straight on battle.

Pokemon X & Y now features 3D Pokemon. A campaign mode that is similar to previous instalments.
So does that mean Pokemon console games are dead?

Also with the addition of extra storage on our SD card does that mean we also have no need for things such as Pokemon Box, Pokemon Ranch for extra storage.

Can the core focus of Pokemon go back to Pokemon without the extra side diversions?
---
Check out Canada's only Comics and Gaming Magazine!
http://www.cgmagazine.ca/
#2ShadowMario3Posted 4/22/2013 8:02:08 AM
Er, no. From what I recall, the new Pokemon games are not in full 3D like the console Stadiums. Also, the console Pokemon games were mainly there for battling, not campaign (only Colosseum and XD deviated from that). Hopefully we'll get a new console Pokemon for Gen V/VI.
---
Youtube Channel: http://www.youtube.com/user/ShadowMario3
#3SlimeStackPosted 4/22/2013 8:04:26 AM
^Pokémon X and Y are definitely full 3D...

Stadium was mostly there to assist with trading and provide battle facilities apart from the graphics.

With Revolution it was pretty much just Wi-Fi battles and battle facilities wasn't it? Completely outclassed by the games now.

I think a console version could still sell itself, it just has to have good features.
---
Moo
#4zinformantPosted 4/22/2013 8:09:27 AM
Battle Revolution is just another spin-off game that caters to a subset of the Pokémon crowd. I don't think it will go obsolete because folks who enjoy 3D battles like that will always buy games like this. I couldn't care less, but Pokémon has wide appeal; thus, the wide range of spin-offs all will sell to different folks. Some people just want to play Pokémon on a console, anyway.
---
Go to Gamestop, buy a Steam card, and use it to purchase Ys Origin. You won't be disappointed.
For more info: http://www.worldofys.com/yso/
#5toadiemanPosted 4/22/2013 8:17:34 AM
dirt time
---
PSN: toadieman
#6Darth_KamcioPosted 4/22/2013 8:37:44 AM
Well, it's not really hard to come up with ideas for a stadium game. I think it's just laziness or (is it even possible?) lack of money.

Let's see:

-include all the battle facilities from all previous battle frontiers

-enable players to earn points for which they could buy items (like in PBR, but maybe with more useful items)

-some nice exclusive pokemon to transfer to the games (Surfing Pikachu anyone?)

-many game modes, with all kinds of customisation options (rules and whatnot)

-make it a hub for trading more than 1 pokemon at once (some people would kill for that)

-minigames! (no explanation needed)

-battle simulator (you generate two pokemon and fight with them, but it would have to limit the amount of pokemon to 1 per trainer per battle and for example 10 turns per battle, or people would just use it instead of uploading their pokemon)

-a commenter that actually says something that doesn't hurt your ears after a bit of playing

-tons of more stuff I'm too lazy to list yet
---
I love dragons!
White FC: 2194 3983 9072
#7ShadowMario3Posted 4/22/2013 8:58:23 AM
SlimeStack posted...

What I meant is they still used 2D sprites, not 3D forms like the console Pokémon games.
---
Youtube Channel: http://www.youtube.com/user/ShadowMario3
#8SlimeStackPosted 4/22/2013 8:58:57 AM
ShadowMario3 posted...
SlimeStack posted...

What I meant is they still used 2D sprites, not 3D forms like the console Pokémon games.

They use 3D models, not sprites...
---
Moo
#9Kinneth123Posted 4/22/2013 9:15:31 AM
ShadowMario3 posted...
SlimeStack posted...

Have you seen the footage?

They're definitely in 3D.
---
When your friend's last words to you include "Who else will I eat ice cream with?!" You might want to rethink your friends. ^^;
#10gamester_12345Posted 4/22/2013 9:43:01 AM
I don't see how they can milk another 3D console battler game, i mean the prospect of buying items in game to send them to the handheld was sorta regular, but ingame places like the battle frontier grew organically over time.

TMs/HMs being key items of some sort probably hampered the novelty of "don't waste this" item like Earthquake, Pickup can usually find stuff like nuggets and rare candies to the rarishly obscure like Prism Scales...

...Just seems like unless they block items again, the reward portion of the Console games could just be thin, items from 4th gen and below was possibly either dream world or event only before something occurs....like the Light Ball.

Though, since X/Y is 3D, who knows, maybe they can reuse and enhance the assets for spinoffs or something, maybe another Pokemon Snap, where moving the WiiU's game pad moves the player's view around like it does in Nintendo Land, even if it's just for something like a spectator mode.
---
RSN: Plucky9, Total: 2373
KoL: Plucky, currently a Avatar of Jarlsberg