I don't understand all of the hate for digital...

#1Shadowstar108Posted 4/24/2013 8:02:58 AM
Maybe it's just me, but I actually kind of like downloading stuff onto an SD card. I only have one retail game (FE:A), but I've got at least $45-$50 of DSiWare on my system. I'm not concerned about my XL getting stolen or lost, since I usually keep my schoolbag or travel bag in my sight whenever I go somewhere.
---
"Think we should tell them about the hexes, or sell it as is?"
#2blohangelPosted 4/24/2013 8:05:49 AM
I have some digital content in my 3DS as well, but it's just that Nintendo should have an account system already.
It's wayyyy overdue, the PSP had one and I honestly thought the 3DS and Wii U would have one when they announced Nintendo Network.

...I've never been so wrong. ;_;
---
"We don't play EDF for graphics, we play it for massive carnage we lay upon alien scum" -gamemaster712
PSN: Angel_Garcilazo/3DS FC: 4940-5942-3940
#3KaiRyusakiPosted 4/24/2013 8:08:32 AM
it's more of the idea of ownership of your game

Nintendo doesnt give you that feel that you own it, due to how the re-downloading works. doing system transfers and being limited how often you can do that
#4OoSubaruoOPosted 4/24/2013 8:09:08 AM
The Wii U does have one, it's called Nintendo ID.
#5esoteric42Posted 4/24/2013 8:10:00 AM
I love having retail games available as digital downloads.

I wish they had done it sooner.

I have a PSP, but I'm not all that familiar with their account system. I have a handful of digital games on my PSP.

I feel safe with my retail games on my 3DS as digital downloads.

Some added security in case of theft would be nice, but I keep tabs on my stuff.
---
US 3DS Friend Code: 4511-0481-8141 (Bryan)
#6SlimeStackPosted 4/24/2013 8:11:57 AM
That's kind of like saying your bicycle doesn't need a padlock because you can see it from your classroom/office, or saying your phone doesn't need a PIN because it's always in your pocket. Basically what I'm saying is security, safety and backup features should always exist, even if the user is careful.

The security of your game collection isn't the only issue either. Having to be in possession of both your old and new 3DS to perform a system transfer is an unnecessary inconvenience that you shouldn't ever have to do.

Then we can throw in the fact that Nintendo really don't know how to do sales, the eShop isn't particularly easy to browse through, and not all games are even available in digital form.
---
Moo
#7_Shikoba_Posted 4/24/2013 8:12:26 AM
I don't hate it. I mean, 80% of my Steam library is digital.

But that's pc. I just prefer physical on everything else. And the little 3DS carts are cool >.>
---
NNID: Shikoba
PSN: Bad_Brains
#8KaiRyusakiPosted 4/24/2013 8:14:05 AM
_Shikoba_ posted...

But that's pc. I just prefer physical on everything else. And the little 3DS carts are cool >.>

the thing about pc games is, if you even buy it physical, you're going to install it into your harddrive anyways.

and most of the time, you're just buying a digital key anyways with a nice case
#9yankee6903Posted 4/24/2013 8:22:52 AM
Two reasons.

First, you have to pay more. Even at release digital and physical are the same price. But if you buy digital, you need to have memory which costs (unless you stick to whats included). Also, sales happen more on physcial than digital.

Second is management. It can be a PIA to move, transfer, backup, etc etc. Not to mention if they ever remove something from the stores (like PSN) and you didnt back it up its gone forever.
---
ServantOfErieos posted...
What people don't realise is that I post from the heart, and the heart filters lie. So you can't lie to me.
#10_Shikoba_Posted 4/24/2013 8:24:46 AM
KaiRyusaki posted...
_Shikoba_ posted...

the thing about pc games is, if you even buy it physical, you're going to install it into your harddrive anyways.

and most of the time, you're just buying a digital key anyways with a nice case

Exactly. It's like.. why bother anymore. But I like Steam so I don't mind.
---
NNID: Shikoba
PSN: Bad_Brains