Rating the Mario RPGs - Paper Mario: The Thousand Year Door

#11StephenYap3Posted 4/25/2013 1:38:27 PM
8/10

While it improves over PM64's formula in several areas, TTYD's flaws prevent it from deserving a 9/10 or higher. The backtracking in this game is absurdly overwhelming. Sticker Star suffered this too, but compared to that, there was no absolute way around it in TTYD since it did not require the knowledge of having a certain item with you to prevent bactracking.

As for the battles, this is just me, but I prefered the original's battle system better since it was between Mario's team against the enemy team without anything in the way. TTYD's did have improvements to it, but the audience, stage hazards, and Bingo slots heavily reduced the difficulty level, in my opinion. If you're always doing well in battles, you can turn even the last few final bosses in the game into Goombas. Throw in the Super Guard and you've pretty much beaten the game already. TTYD's battle system, overall, isn't bad, but it could use a lot of tweaking to balance it out. A little too overhauled, if you ask me.

Overall, TTYD is a great game, but my least favorite title in the series.
---
I wanted to give Agnes Oblige a Chocobo doll as a gift, but she walked away and was never seen since I had -3 BP :(
#12ZeroArcheryPosted 4/25/2013 1:39:33 PM
10/10. Absolutely flawless.

Even backtracking was fun and interesting. Going there after growing levels, and improving your arsenal made it interesting and fun to tackle old puzzles.
---
Official President of the NST
'But Neku, I thought you couldn't afford to lose? Give up on yourself, and you give up on the world.' - Joshua
#13Starwars4JPosted 4/25/2013 1:39:49 PM
9/10, just below Super Mario RPG
---
What I can't get over is how she ripped one testicle off..~Frogstir
I can't read your topics without expecting Bel Air now.~KensaiBlade
#14jedinatPosted 4/25/2013 2:23:40 PM
Got bored and never finished it. Too much backtracking/wasting time and boring narrative. Mario RPG and Paper Mario were better.
#15SakurafanboyPosted 4/25/2013 3:36:03 PM
9/10 My absolute favorite in the Mario RPG series. Great chapters, interesting story, partners are neat, and there's so much you can do that even post-game you can go for another 4-5 hours which is really awesome.
---
Team Gracidea - We live to love!
Proud fan of all that is Shaymin!
#16HejiruPosted 4/25/2013 3:40:30 PM
10/10. Spectacular.
---
"The difference between fiction and reality is that fiction has to make sense." -Tom Clancy
#17wiiking96(Topic Creator)Posted 4/25/2013 5:21:23 PM
bump
---
More villains need to be protagonists. BIS proves it can work.
Ridley, Ganondorf, Fawful, Bowser, and Dimentio all for their own games!
#18NettoSaitoPosted 4/25/2013 6:42:16 PM
Best Paper Mario/best Mario RPG out there. 10/10 in my book lol
---
3DS - [1203-9218-7780] | XBL - [NettoSaito] | PSN - [NettoSaito] | NN - [NettoSaito]
Netto's Game Room [News and Reviews] - http://nettosgameroom.blogspot.com/
#19StarmanJuniorPosted 4/25/2013 6:44:19 PM
Absolute masterpiece. The humour is right up there with the Mother series, characters and locations are all very interesting, battle system goes way beyond the traditional, featuring stylish moves, the audience, the lottery, etc. It had a lot of substance, and the story was fun and dramatic at the same time.

10/10 by far.
---
Inside the mailbox was nothing. Nothing after nothing came pouring out.
#20DragonwarriordudePosted 4/25/2013 8:01:28 PM
10/10
---
Sig.