So why's it cool to hate Majora's Mask now?

#121bcorneliaPosted 4/26/2013 5:27:44 PM(edited)
Rama_III posted...
snip

Again, neuroticism. Some people can't get over the time limit on principle alone even though you're actually given a ton of discretion. I've heard this all before and this is precisely why I don't give credence to such opinions that get so hung up on the time "limit"- they all just boil down to stubbornness and irrationality.

I'm grateful that I'm not similarly burdened.
---
This is an elite pirate
#122Rama_IIIPosted 4/26/2013 5:42:40 PM
Uh huh. Keep attempting to trivialize a serious issue a huge amount of people had with condescension and insults. I thought you might be worth arguing maturely with...hopefully nobody else makes the same mistake.
---
The Garden Of Rama
Arthur C. Clarke is the one true God.
#123P00DGEPosted 4/26/2013 5:45:13 PM
mjc0961 posted...
wiiking96 posted...
I dunno if what the TT claims is true or not, but there's one thing that I firmly believe: MM doesn't deservse hate. It's a very unusual game that not everyone can enjoy, but it executes what it's trying to do very well. Disliking MM is like disliking a RPG for its turn-based battle system; it's not that the system is flawed, it's that it's a system that not everyone can enjoy.

It's fine that people dislike MM, but it's not fine that people spew bile like "It's a terrible game".

Except it doesn't execute what it's trying to do well at all. For example, when a lot of my time spent playing the game is actually spent waiting around for time to advance far enough to unlock a certain event I have to do (even after using the song of time to make time go faster), that's very poor execution of the central game mechanic.

And no, it's not like disliking an RPG for its turn-based battle system. There are multiple kinds of turn based battle systems in RPGs. Some are executed well, and some are executed poorly. It's perfectly okay to like the ones that are executed poorly, but it's not fine to say anything that you just said about RPGs because it's all very wrong and comes from a place of ignorance that makes you sound like you've either never played any RPGs or have only played one RPG and think that every single RPG is just like the one you played.

Speak for yourself. I never really had any issues with waiting around for events for long periods of time. I was never bored playing MM, even on my first run. I felt the system was executed perfectly. You had to study the routines of your targeted NPCs over 3 days, then when the cycle reset, you would have an idea of how to approach them. This gave the entire game more personality, since it felt like the world was alive, not just static, with people waiting around for Link to show up 24/7.
#124AtalalamaPosted 4/26/2013 6:08:44 PM
What finally got me to play MM for real and beat it...was going over BOTH strat guides I own PLUS the interwebs and putting together a concise start-to-finish timeline to do everything in the most economical way possible. Masks, Heart Pieces, the (very few) times I needed the scarecrow, Bomber Notebook missions for items, upgrades, dungeons, immediately-after-dungeon quests...all put together in a MASSIVE repeating 72-hour guide-frame.

Obnoxious...but at least I finally had fun playing it.

I will NEVER play Majora's Mask again though. And no you may not have my copy.
---
"It's all just a game, so let loose and have fun with it! I mean, a casualty or two along the way is no big deal, right?"
Natephil - Do you not poop?
#125UFOLochePosted 4/26/2013 6:11:11 PM
Atalalama posted...
What finally got me to play MM for real and beat it...was going over BOTH strat guides I own PLUS the interwebs and putting together a concise start-to-finish timeline to do everything in the most economical way possible. Masks, Heart Pieces, the (very few) times I needed the scarecrow, Bomber Notebook missions for items, upgrades, dungeons, immediately-after-dungeon quests...all put together in a MASSIVE repeating 72-hour guide-frame.

...Y'know, I generally just..y'know..play it and have fun while messing around. o.o
---
PSN:Marioandli Skype:Viewtifulninja1
Legends never die!
#126IndyJuniorPosted 4/26/2013 6:12:39 PM
It is because of newjacks like NathanisDrake who likes handholding and waggling a remote or stylus around. They no like older games.
#127Anema1986Posted 4/26/2013 6:13:10 PM
i hate it because it lack the main reason of zelda games, DUNGEONS, at least is not nearly as bad as minish cap and his stupid 80% of the game called kinstone quest
---
The only time where a bible is useful is in a castlevania game
#128P00DGEPosted 4/26/2013 6:20:02 PM
Anema1986 posted...
i hate it because it lack the main reason of zelda games, DUNGEONS, at least is not nearly as bad as minish cap and his stupid 80% of the game called kinstone quest

Wind Waker is an often loved game, but it only had 5 dungeons. That is just one more dungeon than Majora's Mask.

Aside from the game dripping with personality, and having amazing sidequests, it also has great pre-dungeon exploration, that don't drag on too long but also provide great substance. The Pirate Fortress, Deku Palace and Ikana Castle are 3 examples of terrific areas you had to explore before gaining access to the dungeons. I really like how well the "padding" was designed in between the dungeons in MM. Many Zelda games seem to either bog that "padding" time down with droll cutscenes and narrative, shallow fetch quests or long pathing, or are extremely short with barely any content in between. The material between each dungeon was PERFECT.
#129AtalalamaPosted 4/26/2013 6:38:24 PM
UFOLoche posted...
Atalalama posted...

...Y'know, I generally just..y'know..play it and have fun while messing around. o.o

Yep. That's why I mentioned earlier that I couldn't stand the repetition in the game. So I found myself a way to reduce the amount of repetition. Though replaying some of the Boss Battles over again WAS a hoot. That bull one I replayed multiple times just for the halibut...or when I needed a stress-reliever after fubaring the stupid target practice games.
---
"It's all just a game, so let loose and have fun with it! I mean, a casualty or two along the way is no big deal, right?"
Natephil - Do you not poop?
#130bbv92628smPosted 4/26/2013 6:46:53 PM
People have hated Majora's Mask and Donkey Kong 64 since they came out--me included. This is not news.
---
"We're going back to potatos."