After seeing the pricetag of SMTIV for the 3DS...

#1furygodsPosted 4/26/2013 11:24:32 AM
What if every game's price rose by $10?

Companies respond to incentives and only go in business if there is some kind of profit is to be made.

With that said, increasing every game's price by $10 (Portable Games $40 -> $50) (Console/PC Games $60 -> $70) will:

1) Help existing developers, who already make great games, providing a incentive to make even better games. If they don't (to reap the profits), that's fine too because the extra $10 from all sales will help lessen the gap for the sequel. What used to require 1 million sales will now require .9 million sales to warrant a sequel.

This would help out producers that are not certain if a certain game could get a sequel or not as it lowers the line of money required for a sequel.

2) Probably bring companies like EA back from the world of microtransactions to the world of making decent games as they would not need to rely on the microtransactions nearly as much since they earn $10 more for every sale.

Bad reputation plagued EA, and the extra $10 will provide a incentive to help curb the losses of no microtransactions in order to improve their reputation.

3) More companies and groups would start to enter the market when they see enough of a economic profit, thus increasing the overall quality of games due to intense competition.

More competition is always good for the consumer and a extra $10 on all games would probably not impact the typical consumer too much. The extra $10 would also ensure the consumer that they would be getting a product of certain quality when compared to games of unknown quality (money grabbers).

The pricetag of Shin Megami Tensei IV for the 3DS ($50) made me wonder if this would be better for the gaming world.

What do you think?
---
Playing someone who kills people in a video game = Murderer?
Playing a Loli in a video game = Pedo? I don't think so.
#2bsp77Posted 4/26/2013 11:26:50 AM
First printings of the game have a CD, art book and guide. That is why it is $50. Nothing to do with everything you wrote.
#3EmeraldroxPosted 4/26/2013 11:27:19 AM
No. 60 for a console game is already way too expensive. SMT4 is priced that way because of all the bonuses with first print copies, most likely. I don't want to be paying 40-50 for handhelds as well, I'd just be constantly waiting for them to be used about 10$ cheaper.
---
White 2 - 1335-5542-8288 White - 0347-5170-7984
3DS: 4854-6563-5216
#4TiaelPosted 4/26/2013 11:29:26 AM(edited)
Well, it's only $50 due to the extras, especially the 176 page art/strategy book, which is also the first print run.
After that it'll just be the game itself and $40.
---
Playing: Final Fantasy III, Tales of Graces f, Soul Hackers
Dragon Quest>Ys=SMT=Tales>Final Fantasy, but I enjoy all five.
#5PhaseSlaethePosted 4/26/2013 11:30:02 AM
bsp77 posted...
First printings of the game have a CD, art book and guide. That is why it is $50. Nothing to do with everything you wrote.

This.
#6Binba442Posted 4/26/2013 11:48:36 AM
New stuff goes up by 10? I'll stick with with second hand thanks.
#7furygods(Topic Creator)Posted 4/26/2013 11:49:50 AM
bsp77 posted...

I know it is because of that, and that's beside the point.

It is just that the price tag made me think of that idea.
---
#8MetalLokiPosted 4/26/2013 11:50:31 AM
furygods posted...
bsp77 posted...

So basically being paranoid and foolish?
---
The official Loki of the Shin Megami Tensei IV board
Darn beautiful men, always eating out of my trash wait what?
#9furygods(Topic Creator)Posted 4/26/2013 11:52:04 AM
MetalLoki posted...
furygods posted...
bsp77 posted...

So basically being paranoid and foolish?

Who's being paranoid?
---
#10Hardley_SmithPosted 4/26/2013 11:52:23 AM
my god this topic is embarrassing
---
http://myanimelist.net/profile/SephkaBlight